GV
Posted By
Gerard Verhoef
Aug 26, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
It took some time, but I feel like getting a grip on using layer masks as a means to blend two layers together.

Until now I use either the brushtool or the gradient tool in the layer mask to decide on which parts of a layer has what opacity / transparency value.

I thought it should / would be possible to use a (grayscale) image instead of the brushtool or gradient tool to do that: the darker parts of that grayscale image make the corresponding layer more transparent.

If I try to do that I cannot get that grayscale image on the layer mask. Instead of that Photoshop simply makes another layer.

Does anyone know if this is possible at all, or is it just a silly idea.

Thanks

Gerard

BTW: I use CS2

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

E
edjh
Aug 26, 2005
Gerard Verhoef wrote:
It took some time, but I feel like getting a grip on using layer masks as a means to blend two layers together.

Until now I use either the brushtool or the gradient tool in the layer mask to decide on which parts of a layer has what opacity / transparency value.
I thought it should / would be possible to use a (grayscale) image instead of the brushtool or gradient tool to do that: the darker parts of that grayscale image make the corresponding layer more transparent.
If I try to do that I cannot get that grayscale image on the layer mask. Instead of that Photoshop simply makes another layer.

Thanks

Gerard

You can make a blank Layer Mask on the layer then go to the Channels palette where it will appear as a channel and Paste. Or you can highlight the blank mask, Select All (or any selection) and use Paste Into (Shift+Ctrl+V).

Comic book sketches and artwork:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/edjh.html
Comics art for sale:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/batsale.html
GV
Gerard Verhoef
Aug 26, 2005
Thanks edjh,

I I still have a problem with this: the paste into option in the edit emnu is grayed out. Do you know what I do wrong?

Thnx,

Gerard
T
Tacit
Aug 26, 2005
In article <UiFPe.158$>,
"Gerard Verhoef" wrote:

You have to paste it into the mask.

Hold down ALT (Mac: Option) on your keyboard and click on the mask (not the layer!) in the Layers palette. Your screen will change to a view of the mask. Now paste the grayscale image into the mask.

Art, photography, shareware, polyamory, literature, kink: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
E
edjh
Aug 26, 2005
Gerard Verhoef wrote:
Thanks edjh,

I I still have a problem with this: the paste into option in the edit emnu is grayed out. Do you know what I do wrong?

Thnx,

Gerard
You have to have an active selection (crawling ants) for Paste Into to work.

Comics art for sale:
GV
Gerard Verhoef
Aug 26, 2005
Thanks edjh & tacit.

I got it!

Gerard
D
Dave
Sep 5, 2005
I can’t figure this out at all. I’m using PS 6. To create the blank layer mask do I use: Layer, add layer mask, reveal All or hide all ? Click the Quick Mask button ? After doing that I could paste the grayscale image which then gave me the Redscale image, but after that, I couldn’t figure out how to get any effect, if I switched back to standard mode, I just got a strange selection but no varied transparency type effect. Am I supposed to add another layer ? if so, over or under the layer I’m trying to effect ? Just don’t get it. I would appreciate any help, this has been very frustrating.

"edjh" wrote in message
Gerard Verhoef wrote:

Thanks

Gerard

You can make a blank Layer Mask on the layer then go to the Channels palette where it will appear as a channel and Paste. Or you can highlight the blank mask, Select All (or any selection) and use Paste Into (Shift+Ctrl+V).

Comics art for sale:
T
Tacit
Sep 6, 2005
In article <pyMSe.7055$>,
"Dave" wrote:

I can’t figure this out at all. I’m using PS 6. To create the blank layer mask do I use: Layer, add layer mask, reveal All or hide all ?

Either one of those will work.

Click the
Quick Mask button ?

That will not work. A Quick Mask is *not* the same as a layer mask and is not related.

After doing that I could paste the grayscale image which then gave me the Redscale image, but after that, I couldn’t figure out how to get any effect, if I switched back to standard mode, I just got a strange selection but no varied transparency type effect.

If you paste into a Quick Mask and then switch back to normal, the selection you see *is the grayscale image*. If you then save the selection as a layer mask, you will have that grayscale image as a layer mask.

Am I supposed to add
another layer ? if so, over or under the layer I’m trying to effect ? Just don’t get it. I would appreciate any help, this has been very frustrating.

You do not add another layer.

Here is the easiest way to do it:

1. Create a layer mask. Use Hide All or Reveal All; it makes no difference.

2. Switch to the layer mask. You do that by holding down the ALT key on your keyboard and clicking on the layer mask in the Layers palette. The layer mask is a rectangle just to the right of the layer thumbnail.

3. Hit Paste.

4. Switch back to the layer. You do that by clicking on the layer thumbnail in the Layers palette.

Art, photography, shareware, polyamory, literature, kink: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
D
Dave
Sep 6, 2005
Perfect explanation ! Got it first try ! Thanks so much !

One thing I don’t understand. If I do a copy merged and then paste so as to create a new image, it looks exactly
the same until I flatten image at which time the appearance changes quite a lot. The background layer becomes much more prominant and the masked aspect less prominant. I fear this may not be an adequate discription. I can only hope you have an idea of what I’m talking about. Is there a way to prevent this appearance shift when flattening image ?

"tacit" wrote in message
In article <pyMSe.7055$>,
"Dave" wrote:

I can’t figure this out at all. I’m using PS 6. To create the blank layer mask do I use: Layer, add layer mask, reveal All or hide all ?

Either one of those will work.

Click the
Quick Mask button ?

That will not work. A Quick Mask is *not* the same as a layer mask and is not related.

After doing that I could paste the grayscale image which then gave me the Redscale image, but after that, I couldn’t figure out how
to get any effect, if I switched back to standard mode, I just got a strange
selection but no varied transparency type effect.

If you paste into a Quick Mask and then switch back to normal, the selection you see *is the grayscale image*. If you then save the selection as a layer mask, you will have that grayscale image as a layer mask.

Am I supposed to add
another layer ? if so, over or under the layer I’m trying to effect ? Just
don’t get it. I would appreciate any help, this has been very frustrating.

You do not add another layer.

Here is the easiest way to do it:

1. Create a layer mask. Use Hide All or Reveal All; it makes no difference.

2. Switch to the layer mask. You do that by holding down the ALT key on your keyboard and clicking on the layer mask in the Layers palette. The layer mask is a rectangle just to the right of the layer thumbnail.
3. Hit Paste.

4. Switch back to the layer. You do that by clicking on the layer thumbnail in the Layers palette.

T
Tacit
Sep 7, 2005
In article <yTpTe.8063$>,
"Dave" wrote:

One thing I don’t understand. If I do a copy merged and then paste so as to create a new image, it looks exactly
the same until I flatten image at which time the appearance changes quite a lot. The background layer becomes much more prominant and the masked aspect less prominant. I fear this may not be an adequate discription. I can only hope you have an idea of what I’m talking about. Is there a way to prevent this appearance shift when flattening image ?

Zoom in to 100% on your monitor. Does it still seem to change? Often, when you are zoomed out, flattening an image might seem to change the appearance because of a quirk in the way Photoshop renders layers when you’re zoomed out. If you zoom in to 100%, you should see no change.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections