EK
Posted By
Edward_K
Oct 23, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am attempting to follow a worth1000 tutorial that requires a layer mask to be added. I see all sorts of adjustment layers that I can add in PSE but none that are layer masks. I have recently learned to do color layers and I think this is my next step.

What I want to do is create this mask to be transparent so that the pumpkin skin below the person’s face becomes the skin of the person layer. I hope that makes sense.

I am using PSE 2.0 on Mac OS 10.2.8.

Thanks,
Edward

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

RC
Richard_Coencas
Oct 23, 2003
Layer Masks are a Photoshop feature, but there are some add-ons that let you do them in Elements and there are some workarounds to simulate a layer mask. Check out Jay Arraich’s website for some Elements workarounds. www.arraich.com

Rich
EK
Edward_K
Oct 23, 2003
Crud. I was thinking that was the case since it all seems so simple in their layer pallette (just hit this button….). Thanks for the tip; I’ll look it up.

-Edward
PA
Patti_Anderson
Oct 23, 2003
There a tutorial on myjanee.com for making layer masks in Elements. Janee calls them "Elemasks." 🙂

<http://www.myjanee.com/tuts/elements/elemask.htm>

Quick, painless and only two extra steps from what is one in Photoshop. I am still learning some of the cool things we can do with layer masks. I never dreamed I could do all I am doing with this software…that I bought just for photo editing! I for one am glad folks like Jay Aarich, Janee Aronoff, Richard Lynch and others have figured out all these things for us amateur Elements users!

Patti
LG
Lorace_Graham
Oct 23, 2003
I know just how you feel, Patti! This is the most exciting (though difficult) program to come along in a long time.

I was learning about masks from Arraich’s site yesterday. What a trip ! I’m still not exactly certain what I’ll apply the knowledge to, but at least I’m learning how to do it.

<http://www.arraich.com/elements/pse_rreal1.htm>

Learn along with me! The best is yet to be, I’m sure.

Lorace

He has one on styles, too, which is just marvelous.
EK
Edward_K
Oct 23, 2003
<http://www.worth1000.com/tutorial.asp?sid=160998>

This is a tutorial on how to merge two images (pretty complex merging of scooby doo and spiderman) which gives an excellent idea of what to do with these layer masks. I was going to do this example and then apply that new knowledge to making my friend’s head look like a pumpkin when I realized I couldn’t do layer masks in elements.

-Edward
GD
Grant_Dixon
Oct 23, 2003
I am not sure if this helps but this is my method.

1) Duplicate your image and adjust the top one in a way of your choosing.
2) Click on "Create a Layer" icon in Layer pallet while holding onto the
Shift key. Name it mask if you like, but this is up to you.
3) Move your curser between this and the layer above it, holding down the
alt key. When you see your cursor change to two interlocking circles click it you now have a Mask layer
4) Painting on this Mask layer reveals the top layer. Erasing the mask will hide it.

There are lots of cool things you can then do. When you paint or erase you can change the tools percentage of Opacity. With the paint brush you can change the brush mode from normal setting. Also you can do things like blur and mask you mask as well. Then you can also change the opacity and/or the mode of the level.

g.
PD
Pete_D
Oct 24, 2003
Edward,

Seems like you can accomplish what you want by making the pumpkin a layer and lowering opacity until you can see the facial feature underneath. With the pumpkin layer selected, use eraser to remove pumpkin from everywhere but the face. (but maybe I am interpreting what you want wrong)

Pete
BG
Byron_Gale
Oct 24, 2003
Grant,

With regard to your method, in Step 2, why hold the Shift key?

Also, regarding the "interlocking circles" cursor you mention in Step 3… Does this method offer something that I’m not getting if I use the "Group with Previous" command, or is it just a shortcut to the same thing?

Thanks,

Byron
GD
Grant_Dixon
Oct 24, 2003
Byron

When I duplicate the layer Elements puts me into the top layer. Then when I use the shift key in conjunction with the "Create a Layer" icon it places the new layer below the layer I am working, on instead of on top of it. This layer works when it is in between the two layers so the shift just saves me a step of dragging and dropping.

The interlocking circles is just a short cut and seeing my finger is already very close to the Alt key it is a natural. This shortcut is also a toggle for Grouping/Ungrouping. I should come clean and tell you that I love using certain shortcut key strokes because they are … well … shortcuts!

Grant
BG
Byron_Gale
Oct 24, 2003
Thanks, Grant…

I’m with you all the way when it comes to shortcuts!! I prefer to know as many ways of doing a thing as possible. I had been using CTRL-G and CTRL-SHIFT-G to Group and Ungroup layers. I’m glad to be able to add your method to my repertoire.

Your other trick doesn’t work for me, though. Try as I can, holding SHIFT while clicking the "Create a new layer" icon does exactly the same thing as clicking the icon without holding down SHIFT… a new layer is created above my currently-selected layer. I wonder if I need to reset prefs…

Byron
WB
W_Bobrowski
Oct 24, 2003
PSE does indeed support Photoshop Layer Masks. Simply open any PS image with a layer mask (I use my own blank, 1 pixel x 1 pixel image containing only a layer mask layer), and drag it’s layer to your open image to which you are adding the mask. Position the mask layer directly above the layer which will be masked, and select Merge Down from the Layers Palette menu. Almost instant Photoshop Layer mask, which I like using much better than the Grouping technique. If you need the layer mask file, email me.

Best regards,
Walt
GD
Grant_Dixon
Oct 24, 2003
Byron

A sincere apology. I can’t believe I did that twice. You are right it is not Shift but Ctrl that you use. Seems to me that old age is setting in with a passion AS I do it right but write it wrong.

G..
BG
Byron_Gale
Oct 24, 2003
A-Ha! Now it works… nifty!

Thanks, Grant.
RL
Richard_Lynch
Oct 25, 2003
One of the easiest ways to add a layer mask is to use a free tool that does it for you and creates layer masks just like you get in Photoshop. You can get these tools free from the Adobe Studio Exchange download area:

PC Version < http://share.studio.adobe.com/axAssetDetailSubmit.asp?aID=75 16>

Mac Version < http://share.studio.adobe.com/axAssetDetailSubmit.asp?aID=75 31>

this is not a work-around, it is the real thing. Once you install the tools, just open an image, create a layer, open the Welcome menu (Window>Welcome), and click Layer Mask. This will make a layer mask right on the layer you created. You can apply these to any layer (not the background).

Richard Lynch
WB
W_Bobrowski
Oct 25, 2003
Whoops. Sorry it’s not merge down.

1. Select layer containing graphic you wish to add a mask.
2. Press Control A , then press Control C (select all, copy).
3. Now click the image icon of the layer mask layer. Press Control V (paste). This will paste the graphic into the image area of the layer mask layer.
4. Now click the mask icon of the layer mask, and use the white/black paintbrush to mask & unmask.

It’s a workaround for PSE, but now you can follow Photoshop tutorials that call for layer masks and follow along exactly.

As I’ve stated before, ‘Masking is Everything!’.

Best regards,
Walt
T
Tel
Oct 26, 2003
I have to disagree with this statement, Richard.
It must be the easiest method without question.

Having just recently tested the free tools, rushed off and purchased the book, installed all the tools I’m still in the "wow" phase. Added the batch actions too, tremendous.
The tools are excellent and the book is excellent.
Now I have to learn to deal with images all over again! for which I thank you.

Tel.
LG
Lorace_Graham
Oct 27, 2003
Question about the free tools program by Richard:

I am so new to all this and am really just getting comfortable with the PSE program itself.

I downloaded the HPA3 file and unzipped it, but I am sort of afraid to install right now.

Will this cause me further confusion? (LOL) But, seriously, I’m rather leery of trying it for fear I will not feel at home with the program anymore.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Lorace
BH
Beth_Haney
Oct 27, 2003
My personal opinion is that you should get comfortable with the basic operation of Elements before trying the addons. I don’t know they’ll necessarily confuse you more, but you might not be able to "appreciate" their value if you’re still struggling with the basic concepts. Putting them in won’t effect your ability to use Elements in any way, though; everything should look just about the same.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections