RG
Posted By
rich_gill
May 6, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
does adobe photoshop cs3 fully support image editing of nikon nef files when all the plug ins ect have been fully installed or would i still have to use nikon capture nx to fully edit my nef files?

sorry if this topic has already been covered,i did search through but couldnt see if it was fully supported or not

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

ND
Nick_Decker
May 6, 2007
Rich, CS3 Camera Raw is working fine on my NEF files, from both the D2x and D200. I’m pretty sure they’re up to date with the newer Nikons as well (D80, D40, etc.)
AC
Art Campbell
May 6, 2007
And it also depends on what you mean by "fully edit."

You’re comparing two different software tools with different components and strengths that process images differently.

Art
RG
rich_gill
May 6, 2007
by fully edit i mean can i edit everything in nef files that i could in raw files on cs3 or are more editing tools available for raw files in cs3?im basically trying to find out if cs3 is better for me than capture nx as cs3 is alot more expensive.if i can do everything with capture nx that i can do with cs3 there wouldnt be any point me going for the more expensive option :o)
ND
Nick_Decker
May 6, 2007
Rich, I think what Art was referring to is the inherent difference in the way that Capture and Adobe Camera Raw deal with NEFs. Adobe isn’t privy to all of the information contained in a NEF file, because Nikon won’t divulge that information.

As a result, many people feel that Capture is capable of rendering more accurate color, among other things. Apart from that, though, the two programs are different in other ways, such as the various controls that they offer.

I used Capture NX beta long enough to shake my head in disbelief. For me, it was slow like a snail and crashed constantly, but that’s probably a discussion for another time and place. Suffice it to say that I use Camera Raw regularly and far prefer it for processing my NEFs.
RP
Russell_Proulx
May 7, 2007
Adobe isn’t privy to all of the information contained in a NEF file, because Nikon won’t divulge that information.

That’s why I recommend people archive their NEFs and not rely on DNG files to be *the same*. They cannot because Adobe’s software cannot access all the info in Nikon’s image format. I still prefer ACR for my RAW processing.

Russell
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
May 7, 2007
The ACR readme pdf file states:

The Digital Negative specification allows for not only all of the pixel information stored in current raw formats, but also for all of the additional, proprietary metadata that many manufacturers include. The Adobe DNG Converter may in some cases ignore some of this proprietary metadata, and only include the basic information necessary for creating a high-quality image file. The original raw file, however, can also be embedded in the new DNG format to ensure proprietary metadata from the manufacturer is not lost.
RP
Russell_Proulx
May 7, 2007
Can I open DNG files with Nikon’s software which can currently recognize all their exif data and other propriatary features? Can I reconstitute the EXACT original NEF from a DNG file which would then be properly recognized by Nikon’s software?

For me there’s only one original, the one the camera generated and that is what I archive.

Russell
RG
rich_gill
May 7, 2007
was lead to believe that dng files werent supported by nikon software due to dng being an adobe file format.

tbh i think i will end up going with nikon capture at £105 rather than £600 for cs3,its just too much money for an amateur photographer to spend to edit images.
only way i would change is it photoshop elements supports camera raw
AC
Art Campbell
May 7, 2007
Photoshop Elements has supported the Adobe Camera Raw plugin for years.

Also, as far as I know and recalling press releases from last year, Adobe was the first and primary purchaser of Nikon’s SDK, which reveals all the NEF encoded data. Adobe apparently thought it worthwhile to pay Nikon for open access to all information in Nikon’s proprietary format, so I would assume it’s using the info in the current revs of software.

Art
RG
rich_gill
May 7, 2007
have just found out something very interesting too that could make the decision for me.myself and my girlfriend will be using the software,she is currently doing photography at college so i could get her to buy photoshop cs3 extended for £160 as she is a student.
DH
Dierk_Haasis
May 8, 2007
On Mon, 7 May 2007 09:05:37 -0700, "Art Campbell" wrote:

Also, as far as I know and recalling press releases from last year, Adobe was the first and primary purchaser of Nikon’s SDK, which reveals all the NEF encoded data.

IIRC, Nikon developed a mini-SDK, exclusive to Adobe. The normal SDK is free to developers but does too much [paraphrasing Thomas Knoll here].

Nevertheless, ACR never had trouble opening NEFs as long as they came from cameras existing at the time of release. The operative here is ‘cameras’, ACR might have trouble with Capture NX generated NEFs, which cannot be imported, for instance, into Lightroom. Some, but not all, manipulations made with Capture NX may also prevent the resulting NEFs to be readable by other programs.

Dierk (sometimes known as Evo2Me)
[DH² Publishing]
www.DH2Publishing.info
Writing and Imaging
TI
Thomas_Ireland
May 8, 2007
Just my two cents for anyone considering
DH
Dierk_Haasis
May 8, 2007
On Tue, 8 May 2007 02:52:38 -0700,
wrote:

ACR Free with PS or PS Elements. Capture-expensive.

ACR is very expensive but, admittedly, comes with a very powerful image processor [of which one might only need a very small fracture of the power].

Capture designed by Nikon, the same people who designed the NEF format.

Actually the current Capture version is developed by NIK Software on information and demands from Nikon.

[DH² Publishing]
www.DH2Publishing.info
Writing and Imaging
TI
Thomas_Ireland
May 8, 2007
Am I missing something? Adobe Camera RAW (ACR) was free for me. I just downloaded it from the Adobe web site as the site explained, and it worked fine. I looked at the site just moments ago, and it’s still free. Is there something I’m missing?
AC
Art Campbell
May 8, 2007
No, you’re not missing anything.
But if you could get more confused, you’d understand the earlier comments better. ;- )

Art
DH
Dierk_Haasis
May 9, 2007
On Tue, 8 May 2007 09:23:25 -0700,
wrote:

Am I missing something? Adobe Camera RAW (ACR) was free for me.

If you’ve had a closer look at my comment, not just a skim over the first three or four words you might have noticed that it was slightly polemic.

ACR is as free as Photoshop – depending on what you need, want and believe. Or, in the words of a Nobel Laureate: ‘There’s nothing like a free lunch!’

If you compare RAW converters, the notion that ACR is free may be convenient to your argument but it is wrong; to get ACR you have to buy Lightroom, Photoshop CS3 [Extended] or Photoshop Elements. Or you can buy ACR and get one of the others for free.

Economics 101.

[DH² Publishing]
www.DH2Publishing.info
Writing and Imaging
P
PECourtejoie
May 9, 2007
Can I open DNG files with Nikon’s software which can currently recognize all their exif data and other propriatary features?

Nikon has all the info necessary to do so, like other manufacturers did: the DNG SDK, the DNG specification… Halas, they are building on their closed format, and might not want to see users of others cameras using Capture (well, that is now the case with JPGs, or TIFFs, if the software does not look for Nikon metadata).

Can I reconstitute the EXACT original NEF from a DNG file which would then be properly recognized by Nikon’s software?

If you saved the file inside the DNG, yes, you can export it. And maybe that if Nikon did document its formats, somebody could write a DNG to NEF converter, without the need to save the NEF inside the DNG.

BUT, it seems that even Nikon Capture needs to be updated at the release of each camera. So the NEF format does not seem to be self-explanatory, like DNG is (for the software that correctly implements its support).
TI
Thomas_Ireland
May 9, 2007
Thanks, Dierk. I get it now.

The issue of buying any newer versions of any Adobe product isn’t an issue for me. After Adobe’s indifference to consumers complaining, indeed, losing business due to CS’s flaky activation, upgrades or new purchases from Adobe are simply out of the question. Period.

Why continue to patronize a company that doesn’t deserve it right?
RP
Russell_Proulx
May 10, 2007
If you saved the file inside the DNG, yes, you can export it.

You’re right PECourtejoie, I missed that in the preferences. I tried it and it works. But the file is then 2x the size so there’s not much point.

I’ll stick to saving only my NEFs 🙂

Russell

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections