Nikon D70s .NEF (RAW) files not opening in PSE 3.0…

NN
Posted By
Norman_N_Smith
May 23, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am a Nikon D70 owner and just purchased a new D70s. In making my first attempts to open a RAW (.NEF) file, the file will not open and an error box appears telling me it can’t open the file type. I have been opening the same file type since PSE 3.0 was first loaded on to my computer with several control sliders allowing RAW adjustments (exposure, color temp, contrast, etc.) to the files. I attempted downloading the most recent RAW plug-in 3.1 for the D2x, and it did not help. After several failures, I loaded Nikon’s Picture Project to my computer and attempted again to open a file, which it did, but without the full array of adjustment sliders I am used to and wish. Instead only one slider appears in a small box in the screen center, which allows only for exposure compensation. The box has a header of "RAW Adjustments PP" and then the file name. After opening the full exif (exposure information) data is also missing from the file info screen when opened.

Any ideas why this is happening? The file extension (.NEF) is identical to my older D70 files, and when I now open an older D70 file, the full array of sliders no longer appears. I want my full battery of controls, and not just a small Picture Project box. I would love to be able to just uninstall Picture Project, but can’t open the new files otherwise.

Thanks!

Norm

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

NN
Norman_N_Smith
May 23, 2005
Oops! I should add that I am using a Windows XP OS, 2.8ghz P4, 1 gb RAM.
G
Graham
May 23, 2005
http://www.adobe.com/special/photoshop/pdfs/CR_31_readme.pdf The D70s is not yet on this latest Adobe list of cameras supported by Raw

wrote in message
I am a Nikon D70 owner and just purchased a new D70s. In making my first attempts to open a RAW (.NEF) file, the file will not open and an error box appears telling me it can’t open the file type. I have been opening the same file type since PSE 3.0 was first loaded on to my computer with several control sliders allowing RAW adjustments (exposure, color temp, contrast, etc.) to the files. I attempted downloading the most recent RAW plug-in 3.1 for the D2x, and it did not help. After several failures, I loaded Nikon’s Picture Project to my computer and attempted again to open a file, which it did, but without the full array of adjustment sliders I am used to and wish. Instead only one slider appears in a small box in the screen center, which allows only for exposure compensation. The box has a header of "RAW Adjustments PP" and then the file name. After opening the full exif (exposure information) data is also missing from the file info screen when opened.

Any ideas why this is happening? The file extension (.NEF) is identical to my older D70 files, and when I now open an older D70 file, the full array of sliders no longer appears. I want my full battery of controls, and not just a small Picture Project box. I would love to be able to just uninstall Picture Project, but can’t open the new files otherwise.
Thanks!

Norm
RL
Richard_Lawler
May 23, 2005
Make sure you are using the Adobe Camera Raw plugin (Camera Raw.8bi). Not the one from Nikon (Nikon NEF Plugin.8bi). Do a search for the Nikon plugin and move it out of the plugins folder tree or rename it to something like Nikon NEF Plugin.8bi.dontuse.

Also check for .XMP sidecar files. Elements chokes on some entries in these files and gives erronious error messages.
NN
Norman_N_Smith
May 23, 2005
Thank you very much Richard! Sorry but I don’t know the term "sidecar" when talking computers, but the great news is, that it doesn’t matter now. I found the Nikon plug-in you mentioned and removed it. All is well now. I presume that file originated with Picture Project update, which came with the camera, and I did not load until after the initaial encounter with errors. Very strange sequence of events! Again thank you, as it is working properly now, just as it was with the old D70. Wheeeeeee!
P
paultje
May 24, 2005
I’m also a new D70s user and I also have the same issue as Norman did, ie I can manually load NEF files from a D70s into Element 3.0.1 Editor (via Nikon’s PictureProject) but I can’t get all the RAW manipulation options (only white balance and exposure). Organizer or Editor can’t download my NEF files from the camera.

I followed Richard’s instructions above and renamed all instances of the Nikon plug-in to Nikon NEF Plugin.8bi.dontuse. They were in the Nikon/PictureProject folder and Adobe/Photoshop Elements 3/Plug-Ins/Editor-Only/File Formats folder.

I’ve also updated the Camera Raw.8bi file. I have no .xmp files.

Unfortunately all of this only made things worse. The error message I got when I tried to load a NEF is "Could not complete your request because it is not the right kind of document".

I reverted back the Nikon NEF Plugin to allow me to process the NEF images I had, but I’m not seeing the Elements RAW options.

Any ideas what else to try? Do I have to wait until Adobe release another Camera RAW plug-in for the D70s? And what’s Norman got that I haven’t that gets him working – somthing to do with his D70?

Thanks for any help!
Paul
NN
Norman_N_Smith
May 24, 2005
Hi Paul,

I hope you get this all straightened. I have also noticed organizer no longer seeing the RAW files as thumbnails. Do you get screens with diagonal zig-zag lines with the file name marked below? That is what I have been getting.

As for loading into PSE, I never load to Picture Project. My loading methods may be archaic, but I always download to a file on a hard drive from the camera. When I open them I only use Elements. Picture Project is on my computer, but I originally put it on when I bought a D70 March 2004. It somehow allowed me to open the .NEF files in Elements 2.0 at the time. When 3.0 came out, I was surprised and very happy to see the additional controls.

When I bought the new D70s body, I did not update the Picture Project software with the new disc until I found the .NEF files would not open. When my RAW files from the D70s would not open, I figured that maybe it would help 3.0 as it did 2.0, and it did (minus the extra controls I wanted!).

Yesterday when Richard posted, I went to the program files and only made one change. I dragged the Nikon NEF Plugin LE.8bi to the desktop, and then just in case a restart would restore it to the program files, I added .dontuse as Richard suggested. AT that point I restarted Elements 3.0, and it worked properly (except for the Organizer issue). I am not a big Organizer fan anyway, so it is not a big issue for me. Hope this helps you.

BTW, what has happened to the original post from Richard? I think it needed to stay up as I’ll bet this is going to be a popular (not!) problem for Elements users.
NN
Norman_N_Smith
May 24, 2005
Oops! I see Richard’s valuable advice is still there after clicking on show all messages.
P
paultje
May 24, 2005
Thanks for the post Norman. Yes I do get the zigzag file images with the file name.

It seems that your different starting position is helping you out. That, of course, gives me hope that I can figure out what is different and make some simple (I hope) change to get it working. For example, what 8bi files do you have?

In Adobe\Photoshop Elements 3.0\ I have:

Folder: \Plug-Ins\File Formats
BMP.8bi
Camera Raw.8bi (the latest version)
FilmStrip.8bi
JPEG2000.8bi
PCX.8bi
Pixar.8bi
Targa.8bi
WBMP.8bi

Folder: \Plug-Ins\Parser
PDFPlugin.8bi

Folder: \Plug-Ins\Editor Only\File Formats
GiFEL.8bi
Nikon NEF Plugin LE.8bi
Nikon YCC TIFF.8bi
Photo CDEL.8bi
PNG.8bi
WMF.8bi

Folder: \Plug-Ins\Editor Only\File Formats
Gif.8bi

Are these the same as yours (minus the Nikon files)?

If I take out the Nikon files then Elements desn’t recognise the NEF files at all. If I leave them there it only gives partial RAW control. I thought that perhaps if I put the Nikon 8bi into the \Plug-Ins\File Formats\ folder then Organizer might recognise it…..it didn’t. 🙁

One other thing on Organizer: Do you know if Organizer imports other types of RAW file (eg the D70 NEFs). Perhaps the D70s is unsupported because its new…

Cheers
Paul
H
hoan
Jan 31, 2006
thank you for all of your postings. following it Richard’s suggestions, i fixed the same problem that Norman originally posted

in my case, the file was

Nikon NEF Plugin LE.8b

in the folder

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS\Plug-Ins\Adobe Photoshop Only\File Format

i just removed the file and the new more advanced Raw Camera plug-in came back

regards
– hoa

hoan

———————————————————— ———– View this thread: http://www.photographytalk.net/viewtopic-105036.htm

Send from http://www.photographytalk.ne

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections