DC
Posted By
Duncan_Champney
Mar 6, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m not using save for web. I open raw files and save them using save as. I still lose the EXIF data. The EXIF data is still visible from Photoshop, but not from other programs that expect it to be embedded in the JPEG file itself.

Duncan C

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

S
srparker
Apr 28, 2004
This is a power/standards struggle that we’re all going to have to deal with for a while. In talking with iView, Adobe took it upon themselves a few years back to try to introduce a new standard, which it now appears they will "force" on us. That is meta-data goes in XMP containers when Photoshop saves files. That includes IPTC and EXIF data.

Unfortunately the folks at iView don’t necessarily agree that this is a good thing, and have "decided" to not support the EXIF data container (but they will support the IPTC container).

Here’s the exact quote I got back when I inquired about why iView is losing EXIF data, but not IPTC data when I tweak NEF files with Photoshop. Please, please, please tell "" that you don’t agree with their position, and that they need to support this new standard, or any photographers running Photoshop CS will lose their EXIF data when using the Photoshop/iView Media Pro combination!

I personally don’t agree with their "we don’t want to do it, just because" stance, and with a few more people telling them they’re wrong, they might actually decide to do something….

Steve

—– Begin included message —–
On Apr 27, 2004, at 4:25 AM, Yannis Calotychos wrote:

Hi Steve,

Let me clarify one thing:

Adobe persuaded us to endorse their XMP annotation standard, which now works alongside the traditional IPTC standard. Our endorsement of XMP is currently limited to IPTC related fields ONLY.

Photoshop v7 used to maintain the EXIF block in tact (in PSD files). With CS, Adobe is decoding the BLOCK into XMP. Our opinion is that this is a risky way to go about saving EXIF data as, the EXIF standard is live and evolving (as we speak). In contrast the IPTC standard has been stable for several years now.

We have NO plans to endorse repackaging of EXIF information into XMP.

Yan.
—– End included message —–
S
srparker
Apr 28, 2004
Well, right after I posted the above message, I found out that Adobe has released a "Camera Raw 2.2" plugin that operates slightly differently. This new plugin will store "some" of the common EXIF data in both the old method and the new one (iView Media Pro picks up the information from the old method).

Unfortunately, it’s only "some" of the data (you lose information like lens type and a couple others that are "unique" to the RAW mode being used, but the important stuff is there (speed, aperature, etc.)

I was able to find the new plugin at ftp.adobe.com. I don’t know if they’ve posted in on the website yet.

Steve
R
Ram
Apr 29, 2004
Yes, Adobe Camera RAW has been announced and posted on the site. You may have missed the separate Adobe Camera Raw folder (in effect a separate, dedicated ACR forum) at the top of this forum’s message index. Check it out; you might find interesting threads there.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections