AG
Posted By
andy_greenwell
Apr 28, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Issue: Opening Nikon NEF raw files in Photoshop CS with Mac G4.

I’m hoping someone can help me with the following 2 problems that may or may not be related. I am using Nikon Capture 4.1 with Adobe Photoshop CS with Mac OSX 10.3.3 ( Panther ). My camera is a Nikon D1X. I have the same setup on 3 computers. One G4 ( titanium ) laptop and two G4 towers with Dual 1.25 ghz, lotsa ram. Here’s the deal.

When I open the raw NEF files on my laptop, all seems well. I can open the files in Capture Editor with the option to save and open in Photoshop CS, OR I can open them thru the PS CS file browser. I get the basic / advanced window with color histogram and menu that allows me to adjust color temp, tint, exposure, contrast, sharpness, etc and 8/16 bit choice.

On the two towers, I ONLY get a Nikon Raw adjustment window when opening NEF files in the PS CS file browser. The window is light lavender in color and ONLY gives me one option: one slider bar for Exposure Compensation. And if I open the file, I do not have many of the PS CS options. I cannot access the filters gallery, extract, liquify, distort, render etc. Saving / renaming the NEF and reopening as a TIFF or PSD does not help.

Could any of this be an 8 bit vs. 16 but problem?

I have uninstalled and reinstalled Nikon Capture. It did not help.

I don’t know if this is a problem with Nikon, Photoshop, or Apple, but any help would be appreciated.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Z
Zeb
Apr 28, 2004
Thomas Knoll "Camera Raw advanced settings" 4/20/04 4:12pm </cgi-bin/webx?14/2>
R
RJBuck
Apr 28, 2004
It sounds like you may have over written the Adobe Camera Raw plug in with the Nikon NEF plug in. Look in your file format folder (inside the plug in folder). If the Nikon NEF plug in is there, delete it and re install the Adobe Camera Raw plug in.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections