CW
Posted By
Chris_Witze
Jun 30, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Just beginning to learn about using PE2 on XP (and I feel like an idiot). Everything seems normal, I can view and (I think) edit pix, but I can’t open the File Browser! I thought I opened the File Browser window by choosing Window>File Browser (a check mark). Nothing happens when I do that….all I have is the usual initial Interface screen…I don’t get a File Browser screen. I also tried File>Browse and Windows>Welcome>Browse for File……nothing happens. There must be a step missing before I try to open the File Browser….what is it? Am I supposed to have a folder/file open someplace? Sorry for what seems like an incredibly stupid question…Thnx

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

JJ
JoAn_J_Yost
Jun 30, 2004
I have found that by checking the file browser…. exiting elements and then reopening elements it pops up. No idea why, but I freaked David House out with that. He thought I was psychic. It just worked that way.
AT
Anne_Twitchell
Jun 30, 2004
I don’t know if you have the same problem that I do, but usually when I open the Browser it doesn’t seem to be there on the screen, but there is a narrow blue line at the bottom of the screen which I can pull up with the cursor and, lo and behold, it’s the Browser. If you see no line at all at the bottom after doing File>Browse, hit the Tab key and see if you don’t see the Browser then. After pulling the Browser up hit the Tab key again to get the Tools, etc. back on screen.
BG
Byron Gale
Jun 30, 2004
Chris,

I suspect that you are suffering from "browser creep" — a symptom which develops as you start and stop PE2 on a PC.

One way to proceed would be to click Window > Reset Palette Locations.

The way I do it when my browser creeps off the screen is to switch my PE2 window from "Maximized" to "Restored" size. Then, I can just see the upper edge of the Browser window enough to drag it back up into the work area. I prefer this method because I have my palettes "just so" and don’t want to reset everything.

No one knows why (or ADMITS that they know why!) it happens, but when your installation develops this problem, the Browser window opens a bit lower every time you have cycled PE2 off/on, until finally it opens below the visible threshold of the work area. It only happens on PCs.

HTH,

Byron
BG
Byron Gale
Jun 30, 2004
JoAn and Anne,

All together now….

;~)

Byron
JJ
JoAn_J_Yost
Jun 30, 2004
WOW! we all answered at once!
CW
Chris_Witze
Jul 1, 2004
JoAn, Anne, Byron…………….You folks are great!!!! I felt like a bloody idiot. When I reopened to check on things, Anne’s experience is exactly what I had….the "narrow blue line". I also notice the browser creep that Byron talks about…..my File>Open screen had the bottom lopped off, but JoAn’s solution fixed it. I really appreciate you all helping out…Viele Grüße aus Santa Fe, NM.
BG
Byron Gale
Jul 1, 2004
Great news, Chris.

Don’t be a stranger!!

Byron
JJ
JoAn_J_Yost
Jul 1, 2004
OH good. It is such a great feeling to know that you were part of a joing effort to help someone, and that it succeeded. JoAn
JJ
JoAn_J_Yost
Jul 1, 2004
OH good. It is such a great feeling to know that you were part of a joint effort to help someone, and that it succeeded. JoAn
DG
David G House
Jul 1, 2004
JoAn…

You are somthing alright.. I think its that lil bit o Charokee in ya… LOL…. but you’re correct I was a lil freaked at that .. I was beginning to think you had a telepathic connection to my computer…;)….

David

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections