How to open same file again in an Action ("Place" a file)

PS
Posted By
Peter_Sorantin
Oct 17, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Question related to opening files in Actions:

Background info: I am working with raw files from a Leaf Digital back (22 megapixels) and Camera Raw; I am embedding the original raw file in a file that just displays a smaller preview of the full file (screen size) via the "Place" command. I save this file as .psd which allows me to import the file into other apps that accept .psd files, but would not accept raw files.

I have not found out a way to automate this process via an action/droplet, since I have not figured how I can open a file that is processed in an action again in the same action (without asking for manual input).

Here is the manual (i.e. not actioned) sequence of steps:
a) Create new file, say 1600×1200 pixels (screen resolution)
b) Open raw file and convert it… this fills the empty new file with a first layer; this serves as low-res preview
c) Use "Place" command to open *again* the same raw file and embed it inside the file; that way the raw file can be retrieved later in unchanged format from the file created above; the file from step a) serves as outer shell and preview and packages everything up as .psd.

I have not figured out how to issue in c) the "Place" command in an action so it goes automatically to the raw file I opened in step b).

?

Help appreciated,
Peter

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections