Posted By
TomBrooklyn
Mar 14, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,

How can one resize of photo of xMBs to yMBs where y<x?

The picture I have to work with is 6.47 MB and I have to make it 600kB (or less). Pixel Dimensions are 1475 W x 1534 H and it’s size is 9.8" x 10.2" Resolution is 150 pixels/inch.

The Pixel Dimensions and Size are locked. If I unlock them and change one, the other doesn’t change automatically to keep the same scale. Is there a way do to that?

If I make less pixels/inch will that do it? How many pixels/inch are good for a picture to be posted on the internet?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

T
TomBrooklyn
Mar 14, 2007
I guess what I meant to say is how do I resize the filesize. I would like to make the picture a little smaller anyway though…about 5" high would be good.

How could I make the photo 5" high and have the width be proportionally smaller?

By the way, the photo is labled as 33.3% (RGB). It is physically about 5.12" H x 4.9" W. Why does it show in those dimensions and what does the 33% mean?

Then I opened the image in Image Ready and it became a 1.32 gif file. That size is better but I need jpg. Why did it turn into a .gif?
B
Bernie
Mar 14, 2007
Photoshop deals with pixels, not inches.

The percentage represents the ratio of screen pixels to image pixels

At 100% it takes one screen pixel to display one image pixel At 50% one screen pixel represents four image pixels
At 33% one screen pixel represents nine image pixels
B
Bernie
Mar 14, 2007
Explore the image size dialog box
J
Jim
Mar 14, 2007
wrote in message
Hi,

How can one resize of photo of xMBs to yMBs where y<x?
You don’t. Instead you resize the image to make the pixel dimensions different.
The picture I have to work with is 6.47 MB and I have to make it 600kB (or less). Pixel Dimensions are 1475 W x 1534 H and it’s size is 9.8" x 10.2" Resolution is 150 pixels/inch.
Save it as a jpeg and adjust the compression amount to get the desired size.
The Pixel Dimensions and Size are locked. If I unlock them and change one, the other doesn’t change automatically to keep the same scale. Is there a way do to that?
Check the box labeled "maintain aspect ratio"
If I make less pixels/inch will that do it? How many pixels/inch are good for a picture to be posted on the internet?
No, merely changing the pixels/inch will have no effect on the size of the file. You must change the pixel dimensions and compression setting to make any difference in file size.

Jim
DP
Daryl_Pritchard
Mar 15, 2007
Hi Tom,

Remember how I told you in another thread that a 24-bit RGB color image requires 3 bytes per pixel and 1024 bytes = 1KB? Well, that means you need 3KB for every 1000 pixels in an image…convenient numbers to work with.

Now, you need a file size under 600KB? So, that means your images needs to have no more than 600KB x (1000 pixels/3KB) or 200,000 pixels. Doing a square root in the mind isn’t so easily done, but a calculator would tell you that equates to 447 pixels on each side. So, an image of 447×447 pixels saved in an uncompressed file format would be about 600KB in size. In truth, it is 585KB…still pretty darn close.

So, where do you go from there? Well, actually you never had to go there at all since as Cybernetic Nomad suggested, the Image Size dialog will do the math for you. I’m sure you’ve already been there, as you referred to the "locked" dimensions that you unlocked. I suspect you unlocked them by checking the "Resample Image" box, giving Photoshop "permission" to adjust the number of actual pixels in your image so that you can reach your goal on the file size. To answer your question about maitaining proportionate scaling, you need to additionally checkk the Constrain Proportions box. With both options checked, now enter a new Pixel Dimensions Width of 447 pixels. Upon doing so, you will see that the Height changes proportionately to 465 px. Notice too that the file size is then shown as "608.8K (was 6.47M)". You wanted 600KB? Knock off a few more px on the width to 444 and with an adjusted height of 462 px you’ll have a file size of 600.6KB…good enough! 🙂

Now, regarding a good size image for web use? Something on the order of that final size you’ve got is pretty good…not too small, not too big. But, it may be too small for your personal preferences and your objective in what you’re presenting. If so, don’t be afraid to go up in size, but keep in mind that some folks still may be using smallish monitors. I’ve seen some guidance that you should assume nothing larger than an 800×600-pixel display setting is in use by those viewing your web pages, but that is very conservative and I personally think 1024×768 is sufficiently small. Allowing for browser toolbars, footers, other page components, etc., keeping your image to something on the order of 640×480 pixels will often work well.

Since your image is nearly square, even a 640×640 image wouldn’t be too out of place on the web, so go back and change your image height (the larger dimension) to 640 px, yielding a 615 px width and….Oops!…a "whopping" 1.13MB file size. Yeah, oh well!

Seriously, that size is more than manageable, because what we are looking at is the uncompressed file size if you were to save the image in TIF, BMP, or other lossless formats. But, as you probably know, most web-based images are in a compressed format such as JPEG for full-color images or GIF for images requiring no more than a 256-color depth. Well, by the time you save your file as a JPEG, even at the highest quality setting of 12, your file size will be reduced from 1.13MB to around 230KB…about 5:1, but varying with the actual color content of your image. Drop the quality to 9, which will still provide a very good image quality for a monitor-only presentation, and your file is now about 85KB in size!

So, as you see, while the uncompressed pixels can be adjusted in your image dimensions to meet your file size needs, you may also find that if you must have a larger file, the JPEG compression itself will often pull you well under the maximum file size limts you are adhering to.

As you work more with the Image Size dialog, you will find it is quite a handy calculator for seeing the interrelationship between image sizes in pixels versus file sizes.

Now, did you notice how I never discussed a suitable pixels/inch value for an image to be used on the web? That’s because the Document Size options are irrelevant to any image being viewed on a monitor. If you are viewing at image at a 100% scale factor (the 33.3% value you saw was the current image magnification in Photoshop), then 1 pixel in your image will map to 1 pixel of your monitor display. On screen, an image could look relatively large and pleasing, but when you print it at the common 300 pixels/inch resolution, you will find the image rather tiny in comparison because you’ve gone from a 1:1 to a 300:1 viewing ratio. And the uncompressed file size of a photo-quality print? Just play with the Image Size dialog and learn! 🙂

Regards,

Daryl
L
LenHewitt
Mar 15, 2007
Tom,

Why did it turn into a .gif?<<

Because you had GIF selected in the Optimize palette.

How many pixels/inch are good for a picture to be posted on the
internet?<<

A web browser takes no notice whatsoever of ppi – it will display one screen pixel for each image pixel, so the size on-screen will depend upon the viewer’s monitor resolution.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections