how do I resize a photo to take up less memory ?

A
Posted By
apk1
Apr 1, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am using photoshop 9 and wish to reduce the file size down to view the picture on aPDA, is there a way of doing this, as the current file size is 40mb, too large to store/process on my pda.

Tony

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

C
Charley
Apr 1, 2005
You can easily re-size a photo to make it smaller with a smaller file size, but you can never go back, if you don’t keep your original file. Just go to the file size window and turn off re-sample, then enter the size of photo that you want and set the DPI to something like 72 which is good for viewing on a PC monitor or to whatever DPI is recommended for viewing on the PDA (sorry, but I don’t know what is best for viewing on a PDA but it’s likely to be around 72 DPI). This will significantly reduce the file size, but you can make it even smaller if you save it as a Jpeg, Tif, or some other file format that allows file compression. With the small screen size of a PDA you should be able to reduce and compress the file significantly down to about 30k without any noticable reduction in it’s appearance, when viewed on the PDA screen. Remember, what ever you do, to save this new smaller file as a copy. Always keep your original full size file in it’s unmodified state, because you will never be able to make the smaller file back into a 40 meg file.

Charley

"apk1" wrote in message
I am using photoshop 9 and wish to reduce the file size down to view the picture on aPDA, is there a way of doing this, as the current file size is 40mb, too large to store/process on my pda.

Tony

PD
postman delivers
Apr 2, 2005
"Charley" wrote in message
You can easily re-size a photo to make it smaller with a smaller file
size,
but you can never go back, if you don’t keep your original file. Just go
to
the file size window and turn off re-sample, then enter the size of photo that you want and set the DPI to something like 72 which is good for
viewing
on a PC monitor or to whatever DPI is recommended for viewing on the PDA (sorry, but I don’t know what is best for viewing on a PDA but it’s likely to be around 72 DPI). This will significantly reduce the file size, but
you
can make it even smaller if you save it as a Jpeg, Tif, or some other file format that allows file compression. With the small screen size of a PDA
you
should be able to reduce and compress the file significantly down to about 30k without any noticable reduction in it’s appearance, when viewed on the PDA screen. Remember, what ever you do, to save this new smaller file as a copy. Always keep your original full size file in it’s unmodified state, because you will never be able to make the smaller file back into a 40 meg file.

Charley

"apk1" wrote in message
I am using photoshop 9 and wish to reduce the file size down to view the picture on aPDA, is there a way of doing this, as the current file size
is
40mb, too large to store/process on my pda.

Tony

Tony,

In addition to charley’s good advice… Stripping the image file of extra information will also make the file even smaller. This is important in a PDA’s limited memory. Adobe products add extra info to the photo file, it is for a reason, but that extra information is not needed if you only want to post it to newsgroups, e-mail it to family or a friend, and especially download it into your PDA.

There are a number of free programs specifically designed for that purpose, also you might look at the "save for the web" as that will let you preview the different resolution/size files…

You are using the new Photoshop the beta version, the one that is Rumored to be released in May?
Version 8 is CS, and you indicate you are using Version 9?

if you can not find a photo stripper, let me know I will post it for you in Utilities, or unused newsgroup that you can access.

JR the postman
A
apk1
Apr 2, 2005
Thanks Charley worked a treat.

Tony

"Charley" wrote in message
You can easily re-size a photo to make it smaller with a smaller file size,
but you can never go back, if you don’t keep your original file. Just go to
the file size window and turn off re-sample, then enter the size of photo that you want and set the DPI to something like 72 which is good for viewing
on a PC monitor or to whatever DPI is recommended for viewing on the PDA (sorry, but I don’t know what is best for viewing on a PDA but it’s likely to be around 72 DPI). This will significantly reduce the file size, but you
can make it even smaller if you save it as a Jpeg, Tif, or some other file format that allows file compression. With the small screen size of a PDA you
should be able to reduce and compress the file significantly down to about 30k without any noticable reduction in it’s appearance, when viewed on the PDA screen. Remember, what ever you do, to save this new smaller file as a copy. Always keep your original full size file in it’s unmodified state, because you will never be able to make the smaller file back into a 40 meg file.

Charley

"apk1" wrote in message
I am using photoshop 9 and wish to reduce the file size down to view the picture on aPDA, is there a way of doing this, as the current file size is
40mb, too large to store/process on my pda.

Tony

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections