P
Posted By
photoflow
Oct 6, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
The Video/Graphic RAM question seems to bring all sorts of ‘right’ answers; from Photoshop is 2-D so you don’t need much graphics RAM, to Adobe saying that you need more than 128MB VRAM for best performance. So is it worth getting 256MB VRAM to run CS2? Or should the $ be spent elsewhere? Current system: iMac Intel Duo2, 2GM RAM, 18MB VRAM (Apple will add the xtra VRAM if I send the computer back w/in a week).

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

I
icurate
Oct 6, 2006
I assume you mean 128MB of VRAM, not 18.

I have a dual 2.5GHZ G5 with only 128MB of VRAM running 2-21" monitors and I have no problem having 30+ images open simultaneously in CS2.
P
photoflow
Oct 6, 2006
Oops, I wonder if 18MB of VRAM would even fire up this monitor.. 🙂 Thanks for your input, I wonder why Adobe says that you should have more than 128MB for max performance.. Maybe they have bigger plans for an upcoming version. How much RAM does your system have? I think the 2GB will hold me over for a while. Thanks again for your reply.
I
icurate
Oct 6, 2006
I have 3.5GB of RAM. The 2GB you have is probably fine. If you have extra money burning a hole in your pocket, put it toward RAM. Otherwise, what you have should serve you quite well for a few years.
AW
Allen_Wicks
Oct 7, 2006
Why folks focus on today rather than the future when talking about configuring brand new boxes I will never understand. We will only be running CS2 and OS 10.4 for another 7 months or so, while a new box will be used for another 3-5 years with CS3, CS4, 10.5, 10.6, etc.

The world of Mac OS and graphics apps has clearly been moving toward heavier GPU as well as also (separately) toward more RAM usage for years now. E.g. Aperture is virtually unusable on a stock Quad G5 – unless one had the (IMO obvious) foresight to prepurchase a GPU upgrade.

Two years ago I paid for the extra VRAM in a Powerbook G4 while folks were saying it was a waste of money, which it was if one were to think in terms of the day of the purchase (which "today only" thinking I have always considered illogical). Then Aperture was released and my PB G4 runs it better than the fastest Quad G5s owned by the folks who failed to plan ahead.

Buy the extra VRAM!
R
Ram
Oct 7, 2006
Why folks focus on today rather than the future when talking about configuring brand new boxes I will never understand.

Because not everyone has delusions of being able to predict the future, maybe?
P
photoflow
Oct 7, 2006
Thanks for the post Allen. Being a photographer I have never been one to think of today only, everything changes within 9 mos. And, yesterday I did go for the VRAM upgrade. It was Apple’s mistake on my order, they sent my iMac w/128MB not the 256MB I ordered. So they offered me a replacement and $50- credit for their boo-boo. Most of the advise I received seemed to be from folks using older versions of PS, I plan to stay on top of it and I just purchased Aperture so the VRAM should help.
"Just because you can doesn’t mean you should."
AW
Allen_Wicks
Oct 7, 2006
Regarding:

Because not everyone has delusions of being able to predict the future, maybe?

In the business world we make best-estimate forecasts of the future all the time; hardly "delusions of being able to predict the future." Businesses that do not forecast (even though forecasts are generally imperfect) fail quickly. No one expects 100% successful forecasting, but to not do research and create probability based forecasts leads to bad planning.

Specifically in the area being discussed – graphics processing on Macs – the general direction of where the OS and apps are going seems fairly clear.

Personally one future forecasting concept that I work from is that apps and the OS will expand to take advantage of available hardware/technology. I call that Allen’s Law and so far it has held true for the lifetime of personal computers.
R
Ram
Oct 7, 2006
Let me rephrase that so it won’t be taken personally:

Because not everyone has confidence in their ability to predict forecast the future, maybe?
P
photoflow
Oct 7, 2006
I’d like to suggest that this thread end before it gets too personal. I’ve made my VRAM choice. Thanks again for all the suggestions.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 7, 2006
I think a better idea is to purchase the best that you can afford (or even a little better than you think that you can afford!) when you buy a new box and to put extra drives and RAM in just as soon as you can.

But I see no point in being concerned about what might happen three years down the pike because no-one can foretell what they will need then.

And, when your current box no longer meets your current needs for productivity, just be prepared to replace it at that time — regardless of how it fits your now outdated "Business Plan" of several years previously.

Who could have foreseen three years ago that Apple would switch to Intel chips for example? And would I have held-off from buying a G5 at that time if I had known? Of course I wouldn’t!

Do I need, or even want, a MacIntel at this moment? Frankly, I don’t. By next summer, my needs may (or may not!) change.

So what I prefer to do at box-replacement time is to buy the top-of-the-current-line; buy extra RAM and HDs shortly after that; and just use the box for only as long as it continues to work efficiently for me.

I just don’t think that it is practical today to be tied to a pre-planned "Replacement Cycle".
P
photoflow
Oct 14, 2006
Once again, as the creator of this post, please STOP!!! I wish I could delete all of these posts at this point. NO MORE! Take it outside you two!
E
eltee
Oct 14, 2006
If you don’t have the patience to read through 20 short posts, you’ll never know any truth, photoflow [nevermind two truths : )].

BTW, good name! (in class with Unsharp Mask)
R
Ram
Oct 14, 2006
Photoflow,

No one "owns" any thread here. Just because you started a thread does not give you host ("moderator") attributes.

Your post is guaranteed to create more topic drift, such as this post.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 14, 2006
… which could be described as "Going with the Flow" … .
R
Ram
Oct 14, 2006
😀
P
photoflow
Oct 15, 2006
Truce. I think we should all go sailing on my old boat, Photo Flow. Sorry if I thought that the posts between Alan and Ramon were becoming attacks at one another rather than discussing the topic (and yes, going into other topics is standard). I guess that I felt badly that my post could lead to a negative ad campaign. Most of the replies from everyone were very insightful and helpful, thanks!
FYI: I went for the extra VRAM since I would have been unable to upgrade this iMac later, and Apple gave me a refund since they made the original boo-boo on my order. Also it just sounds like new versions of Photoshop and Aperture will both benefit from more graphics memory, and even if they won’t, this machine will now have a little to offer someone who’s into 3-D graphics when I sell it.
Being a newbie, I’m looking forward to posting and reading more on this forum. I do have the patience to read through them, just don’t like reading what I considered attacks-but that’s just me. Thanks again for sharing your computer/software knowledge and experiences. Every thing’s peachy, now let’s have that drink!
B
Buko
Oct 15, 2006
the regulars know each other and most of them are not offended when someone disagrees with them. most get right to the point without all that nice flowery verbiage then newcomers think they are being rude.

I’m sure you’ll fit right in welcome to the forum.

Ya’ll come back now.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 15, 2006
I am glad that we could help you and I hope that you enjoy your new Mac.

You will find that discussions in these Forums sometimes do get quite heated but that is the value of them in that people here often hold strong opinions — and are not afraid to state them and argue the perceived merits (or otherwise?!) of opposing ideas.
R
Ram
Oct 15, 2006
Though I often disagree with Allen, I have nothing but respect for him. His posts are more often than not extraordinarily helpful.

He just doesn’t share my innate dislike and mistrust of all kinds of prophets.
AW
Allen_Wicks
Oct 16, 2006
He just doesn’t share my innate dislike and mistrust of all kinds of prophets.

Oh yes I do… 🙂

Edit: Except my own prophecies, of course…

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections