DS
Posted By
Dawn_Steedman
Jun 23, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Which is the best to easily explain how to use the tools?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

KL
Kenneth_Liffmann
Jun 23, 2004
Dawn,
I don’t think that there is a "best book." Bob Warren has listed several which are helpful. When I started out with this program I found "Photoshop Elements Solutions" by Mikkel Aaland was very instructive. I went through it chapter-by-chapter. The book is well illustrated and the syntax is user friendly. I have no commercial connection to the author or the publisher of this book.
Ken
KL
Kenneth_Liffmann
Jun 23, 2004
Addendum –
Here is the link to Bob’s page:
<http://www.rewarren.com/challenge/books.htm#Beginners>
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jun 23, 2004
Dawn,

Best way I found to learn how to use the tools was here <http://www.arraich.com/elements/psE_intro.htm>

Scroll down the screen and you will find all sort of useful information.

Wendy
OT
One Tequila
Jun 24, 2004
Scott Kelby’s book Photoshop Elements for Digital Photographers is useful for learning
retouching by practicing uesful tasks.
wrote in message
Which is the best to easily explain how to use the tools?
MR
Mark_Reibman
Jun 24, 2004
Well I’ll stick my neck out and say one of the best amongst my vast library is Scott Kelby’s Photoshop Elements. Gregory George’s 50 fast got me up and running very fast. Just like the title says…

ditto on Bob Warren’s site
JC
Jane Carter
Jun 24, 2004
Hi Mark, I have and use Gregory Georges book, but don’t have Scott Kelby’s Photoshop Elements for Digital Photographers yet. It is so highly recommended, that I shall get it. Used is the way to go. Thank you for the recommendation.
Jane
SS
Susan_S.
Jun 24, 2004
I have Kelby’s book for Elements – as a beginner/intermediate book it’s quite reasonable (assuming you can take his writing style for more than the ten seconds that it takes to start to grate on me!) – there wan’t a huge amount in it that I hadn’t seen elsewhere on the net or in other books but it’s very clearly set out. Not a huge amount in the way of explanation as to why things work – it’s more of a recipe book, but the recipes are good ones and work well.
Edit to add: (for the original poster) it doesn’t actually got through all the tools – it’s a task orientated book – so it goes through the steps that you need to do a particular task, with the focus firmly on the needs of digital photographers, with a little bit of photo restoration in as well.
The manual is actually quite good at going through all the tools. I have The Complete Reference: Photoshop Elements 2 (Milburn and Hirsch) which is a useful reference going through all the tools filters etc in a bit more detail that the manual, and showing what they can do as well as having some task oriented things.

Susan S
JC
Jane Carter
Jun 24, 2004
Hi Susan, I ordered it anyway, as the used books on Amazon.com are cheap sometimes and always arrive in top condition. Seems that I can’t have enough books! My husband is addicted to books too, our house is full of the things, we could open a mini-library.
We do get overloaded and take them to the local school, local library, and just give them away. Jane
SS
Susan_S.
Jun 24, 2004
Jane – We’re about to build an extension (having failed to find another house to buy to solve the problem) simply in order to provide more wallspace to put up bookshelves. I’ve spent more on Elements and photoshop books than I have on the two programs put together (and my collection is quite modest!) What with the very large science fiction and fantasy collection, a fairly complete set of nineteenth century novelists, a reasonable selection of "serious" modern literature and biography, a large number of children’s books (as well as those belonging to my children, my husband collects Biggles boooks and I like early twentieth century illiustrated books) my sewing, embroidery, quilting and calligraphy books, my Economics books and my husband’s law books, plus his collection of Wisdens and other sporting memorobilia -well you get the idea, space is at a premium! How can you bear to get rid of books? I can never do it!

Susan S.
PA
Patti Anderson
Jun 24, 2004
I still vote for this book if you are a raw beginner: "Create!: The No Nonsense Guide to Photoshop Elements 2" by Greg Simsic, Katy Bodenmiller. Small book (small price) that covers all the basics, very clear writing style, practice exercises.

Combine the above book with Jay Arraich’s tool, palette and blend mode explanations and the article "Why Layers?": <http://www.arraich.com/elements/ref2/aapalettes2.htm>

Next, buy Mikel Aaland’s book, Gregory Georges’ book and Scott Kelby’s if you like.

Sit back and realize with great pride that you now have just spent more on books then for the software. The good news is you’ve learned just about everything in Elements now and if you forget, you can look it up. 🙂

To be quite honest, I probably learned more from Arraich’s site and this forum in the beginning than from any of the books. But I DO love my books! I have only 8 books on Photoshop Elements/Photoshop now. Still learning more each day.

Patti
JC
Jane Carter
Jun 24, 2004
Hi Patti, Yes, Jays site is great, I sometimes forget about it till I need it. Tis great just to browse thru and try things as I go along.

Hi Susan, Our house has had 2 additions, and now that the kids have flown the nest, we have no more excuses to expand. So I feel that if I give these books to the local library and schools, that I can go over and read them if I need to, and with Amazon and Alibris with their used book sections at such great prices, I just have to clean out a little bit.
We have a local paper which I have put several things in the Free ads and I feel that someone is going to use whatever it is they call for. I have two bicycles to go, hopefully to summer students at our local scientific institutions.
But here I am looking at EyeCandy5,,,,,,,,
Jane

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections