DM
Posted By
Daniel_Myers
Jun 18, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I want to make a tiff’s background transparent so that when it is File> Placed into PageMaker, the background does not cover any other element. I tried the B&W tiff method but that is not what I really want. I would like to retain the color of the graphic.

Actually, let me confess what I want to do. A client wants to use Microsoft Word Art in his PM publication. When I distill it, the graphic turns gray. He wants the graphic to retain its color. BTW, as soon as I File> Export> Graphic the Word Art grows a background.

I pasted the Word Art into Elements and saved it as a tiff with no compression. It prints well and distills well, but has a white background on his blue panel. This is unacceptable to him.

He also did not like the all B&W tiff with no background.

Am I going to have to buy PhotoShop CS just to get the clipping path feature?

Thanks,

Daniel

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

MM
Mac_McDougald
Jun 18, 2004
Am I going to have to buy PhotoShop CS just to get the clipping path feature?

Unless some of the add on programs mentioned here support it, would seem so.

If client won’t switch to InDesign 🙂

M
IH
Ingrid_Halvorsen
Jun 19, 2004
Why not just use the magic wand to select the background and click DELETE to make the background transparent? Am I missing something here?
TF
Terri_Foster
Jun 19, 2004
Ingrid,

Yes. Some programs do not support transparency. So a selection/deletion will not be imported into the program. A path, on the other hand, can be saved with a document therefore exporting transparency isn’t necessary. You just open the document, activate the path, and convert it into a selection. The only drawback is that the pen tool takes some practice to master it’s operation.

Terri
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jun 19, 2004
How about trying a save for web in GIF format with transparency checked. Gif is generally fine for limited colored graphics such as Word Art and wouldn’t transparent GIF be more accepted by these other apps ? Afterall, all that clip art crap is GIF.
MM
Mac_McDougald
Jun 19, 2004
But PageMaker is the issue…

Doesn’t support any transparent format AFAIK.

M

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections