How can I make a photo background in PhotoShop 7 transparent?

JB
Posted By
jocelyn.brown
Apr 19, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi there, I’m new to the group. I’m working with Photoshop V 7. I have a photo of a person with a grey background. I need to take the background out and make the photo transparent leaving nothing but the person.
Does anyone know how I can cut the background out in PhotoShop? I have 4 people to cut out backgrounds from jpg images.
I would appreciate any help/tips/hints that I can get.

I also work with PSP V 7.

Thank you very much in advance.
JosBrown

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

PA
Peter Aitken
Apr 19, 2004
"Josbrown" wrote in message
Hi there, I’m new to the group. I’m working with Photoshop V 7. I have a photo of a person with a grey background. I need to take the background out and make the photo transparent leaving nothing but the person.
Does anyone know how I can cut the background out in PhotoShop? I have 4 people to cut out backgrounds from jpg images.
I would appreciate any help/tips/hints that I can get.

I also work with PSP V 7.

Thank you very much in advance.
JosBrown

It’s not quite clear what you want to accomplish. Do you want a picture of the person for a web page so that the web page background behind the person will show thru? You cannot do that with a jpeg image. It is possible only with GIF and PNG formats, I believe, and GIF is not suitable for a picture of a person because it is limited to 256 colors. Here’s the rough outline of steps:

1) Use the magic wand to select all the gray background.
2) Invert the selection to select just the person.
3) Create a new image with a white background.
4) Paste the person into it.
5) Select File->Save for Web.
6) Save as PNG with transparency enabled.

Cheers,

Peter Aitken

Remove the crap from my email address before using.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections