How make white background in a line drawing transparent?

SR
Posted By
Sverker_Runeson
Nov 2, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi, I’ve been using Photoshop CS2 (Windows) frequently for touching up photographs, but now I’m up to something different and need help.
I have some simple line drawings, scanned, and I want to use them overlay other drawings. But the linedrawing’s background is white so when I put it in a layer on top it occludes everything below. Reducing its opacity or fill makes things start to show but dimmed. What’s worse, the lines in the line drawing lose their blackness, turn greyish.
Seems I need to make the white background fully transparent, without reducing the opacity of the lines.
Should be a simple thing I suppose, but I can’t find how to do it. Guided by Help, I tried setting the Image Mode to Indexed Color, and making the white transparent, suppose it worked but when I then tried to Layer-Add they were all greyed out, not available.
Setting Mode back to RGB again the transparency was lost (if there was one). Please help, thanks!

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

P
PeterK.
Nov 2, 2007
Set your line drawing layer to "Multiply" blend mode, and put the layer on top of the others.
SR
Sverker_Runeson
Nov 2, 2007
Yes, of course, that’s it, works just right!
Thanks a lot!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections