VD
Posted By
vernon_deuel
Aug 6, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
have a logo (text and graphic) with shadows (created with AI 10) as a .bmp. I’d like to place this onto some photos but there’s a white background (a rectangle the size of logo). Of course I want to see the photo around the text and logo. I have done this before, years ago, but just can’t seem to remember how.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

B
Buko
Aug 6, 2004
don’t save as .bmp

Turn off background save as .psd or tiff
VD
vernon_deuel
Aug 6, 2004
where do i "turn off background"?
thanks
B
Buko
Aug 6, 2004
click the eye next to the background. in the layers palette.
VD
vernon_deuel
Aug 6, 2004
found the layer palette, but there isn’t one for background. just for the logo elements and text.

right now I am in AI 10. can this be done in Photoshop?
should i export it so i can open it in Photoshop? or does that create one whole layer?

the file is still an .ai file.

thank you for your patience with me.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Aug 6, 2004
It sounds as if you may no longer have the original vectors in your AI file?

If you do still have the vector objects, find the white-filled object (which is filling the background) and either apply no fill or delete it.
JS
John_Slate
Aug 7, 2004
Vern:

It would help to know exactly what steps you are taking.

Like when you say, "I’d like to place this onto some photos…" what application are you attempting this in?

Exporting a .bmp out of Illustrator will by nature destroy all transparency, replacing it with white.

So don’t do that.

More info please.
VD
vernon_deuel
Aug 10, 2004
thanks.
I am fairly new to this, as i’ve spent years dealing with vector files in the vinyl sign industry.

created the logo in AI 10, using some shapes and text, with shadows applied. i am in the process of creating (& learning)
a new website for work. i want to place the logo onto photos of our products. now, if i place the photo in AI, everything works out great. i was trying to use Photoshop as i was told it is the best program when dealing with photos.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Aug 11, 2004
<< if i place the photo in AI, everything works out great. i was trying to use Photoshop as i was told it is the best program when dealing with photos.>>

Do all of your photo-editing/retouching in Photoshop.

Place the Photoshop file in Illustrator and add any text and your logo. Then use Save for Web (to make JPEGs for your website) directly out of Illustrator.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections