How can I make the background of picture transparent?

NS
Posted By
Noel S Pamfree
Nov 19, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,

I’m new to Photoshop 6. I have a picture of a jet with a pure white background which is wish to superimpose on a map of the world.

I am pretty sure I do this by putting the plane on a new layer but I can’t work out how to make the white background become transparent.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Noel

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

JF
John Forest
Nov 19, 2003
Once the picture is on a layer select the white background (with the Magic wand tool) and then <edit><clear>
AE
Axel Estable
Nov 20, 2003
hi Noel-
two quick solutions that I can think of:
1- select the background with the magic wand, then delete it. That will however leave a fringe around the jet, so you’ll have to play with the Defringe (Layer -> Matting -> Defringe) command, but it won’t be perfect. 2- much easier and with better result: drag the jet image (with white background and all) to the world image, then set the jet layer blending mode to Multiply. All the white areas in the layer will disappear.

Good luck!

Cheers
Axel

——————————————–
AIM: meroudequiberon
Yahoo: meroudequiberon
MSN:

"Noel S Pamfree" wrote in message
Hi,

I’m new to Photoshop 6. I have a picture of a jet with a pure white background which is wish to superimpose on a map of the world.
I am pretty sure I do this by putting the plane on a new layer but I can’t work out how to make the white background become transparent.
Any ideas?

Thanks,

Noel

RD
Ray Dunn
Nov 20, 2003
Noel,
you have to unlock the background layer first. Do this by double clicking on the layer a clicking ok. Once that is done, anything that you select and delete will become transparent.
Ray

"Noel S Pamfree" wrote in message
Hi,

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Noel

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections