Posted By
Craig_Busch
Jun 12, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,
I was wondering if anyone knew if there is much of a difference between the final prints made by the two photo printers. One is $40 after discounts and the other is $100. Sometimes the difference is speed, other times it is features, and sometimes it is ink usage. I bought my present inkjet printer even though it was $40 more because I was told by the company that the more expensive printer’s black ink cartidge was only $3 more than the less expensive printer’s cartridge yet printed twice as many copies.
So, if anyone can help, I would appreciate the feedback. Thank you

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

O
o3v3tz
Jun 12, 2004
Since it seems that you are specifically looking at Canon printers, I will add a third for your consideration. I suggest that you consider the i960.

We have a Canon i950 (now replaced by the i960) and I am happy with it. Our primary purpose in buying this printer was as a photo printer: we have another printer as primary for everyday text. So I was attempting to optimize photo quality within budget for initial purchase plus continuing costs of ink and paper. The i960 is often heavily discounted so the fact that its price is higher than the i860 may not be as much of a factor as it first appears.

A monetary factor in my deciding to spend the extra money was the 6 ink system on the i950/i960. I had read on several forums that the additional inks of Photo Cyan and Photo Magenta run out more frequently and that you actually save money by being able to replace these separately. So far, this conclusion does seem to be reasonable.

The Canon site says the i960 has 3,072 nozzles (512 x 6 colors). I can not quantify how much this improves the quality of the prints: I can only say that we like them. Our primary printing is borderless 4 by 6 plus 5 by 7 or 8 by 10 on 8 1/2 x 11 photo paper.

Although printing text was not an objective of this purchase, our i950 works fine for printing normal black and white text.

Barbara
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Jun 12, 2004
o3: Thanks for the rundown on the Canon 6-ink printers. I’m still trying to decide on whether to get a ‘real’ photo printer (I have an HP 4-in1) and your advice is helpful.

I also think it’s worth pursuing that second printer for a household or office that does a lot of text printing. After buying way too many cartridges for my HP at US$25-30 each for black, I decided it would be economical to add a low-cost (initial and per copy) laser printer. Bought a Brother for under $200; couldn’t be happier.

Chuck
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Jun 12, 2004
I had read on several forums that the additional inks of Photo Cyan and Photo Magenta run out more frequently

Interesting. I have exactly the opposite experience with my i9100, but then I don’t print many photos with skin tones in them, which do really use up those inks.
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Jun 12, 2004
I’ll second Barbra o3’s advice on the i960. After struggling with various Epsons my Mom decided to try out the Canon i960. She got if for something like $140 after rebates, and has been thrilled by the results. I have to tell you the prints are extremely nice; easily as nice as you’ll ever see from developed prints. I’ve been an Epson guy for many years but I’ll be getting a Canon i960 pretty soon.

The big thing with those $40 printers is that the ink is way more expensive. That’s where the printer company makes it’s money. The cartridges themselves might be similarly priced to those used be more expensive printers but you’ll go through more ink. It’s a common practice. As Barbra o3 also stated with a printer like the i960 you’re only replacing one of 6 individual color tanks at a time. I haven’t any experience with the i850 but looking at Amazon it’s highly rated and has 6 tanks as well. Seems like a decent printer.

Joe
CB
Craig_Busch
Jun 14, 2004
Hi,
I got the Canon i475D for $40. Although my C80 with Kodak glossy paper looked good, the Canon really improves the sharpness and color of the photos. The Canon representatives were at two stores I went to. One of them said that I would get better pictures using Canon paper rather than the Kodak. He said that the Canon paper was made to work with the Canon inks. He said he would tell a person with an HP to use HP paper.
I would appreciate any comments on this.
Thank you
RR
Raymond Robillard
Jun 14, 2004
I don’t know for Canon, but my HP indeed works much better with HP paper, and the better the paper, the best the output (it’s no advertisement gimmick, it just works for real). HP Premium Plus paper works better than HP Premium Paper.

That doesn’t mean I’m not getting decent printouts with Staples’ or Kodak’s papers. But when the work calls for long lasting and top quality printout, I switch to more expensive HP’s paper.

Ray
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Jun 14, 2004
My Epson produces much better prints with Epson paper. The Office Max (Office Depot, Staples,etc) guy won’t tell you that because he probably wants to sell you something else, but it’s true. Kodak paper works great with Kodak printers but when my Mom and I compared a print on Canon paper to one using Kodak, the Cannon definitely was more vibrant, IMO and my Mom thought so too. The other issue is longevity. I suspect that prints made with inks formulated to work with specific paper will produce pictures less susceptible to fading. That’s just my suspicion though, and I have no evidence to back it up.

Joe
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Jun 14, 2004
I do find that there is absolutely no comparison between the prints I get with my i9100 on canon paper and when I use anything else, no matter how highly rated.

The downside is that, at least where I live, canon paper is hard to find and as much as ten times the cost of, say HP paper. For instance I have to pay as much for 20 sheets of the large format canon photo paper plus as I would for 100 sheets of the Epson equivalent.

It is generally true that you will get better results with the manufacturer’s paper most of the time. My HP is a different printer with HP paper than with store brands or Kodak or Epson.
O
o3v3tz
Jun 14, 2004
I suggest that you try Canon Photo Paper Plus Glossy. The Canon Plus paper is a grade down from the Canon Pro but it may be adequate for your purposes. It is less expensive and I have also seen it on sale more often than the Pro paper. We use the Plus 4 x 6 for our borderless snapshots and I have also used the 8 1/2 by 11 for larger sizes.

BarbO
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Jun 14, 2004
Hi, BarbO. If you mean me, I meant the photo paper plus glossy and pppg pro, just too lazy to type all that. It’s all I can get locally from canon.
O
o3v3tz
Jun 15, 2004
Hello Barbara

Actually I was addressing my comment to the original submitter of this thread, Craig. Sorry that was not clear.

BarbO
CB
Craig_Busch
Jun 15, 2004
Hi,
I purchased a package of the Canon Photo Pro paper. I printed a DVD insert that I had printed on the Kodak paper so I could compare them. The Canon paper is super glossy as opposed to the Kodak which is glossy. The images are a little lighter (brighter- in a good way) on the Canon paper. The background color of the paper is truer to what I had designed. It printed a darker color on the Kodak-almost a black whereas the color was dark green. There is definitely a difference. It looks nice on the Kodak paper, but I have to tip my hat to the Canon paper. I imagine I would need to use the Photo Pro to get the edge on the high end Kodak paper which I was using.
Thanks for all the help from this group.
Craig
F
flddb
Jun 16, 2004
I’m jumping into this thread a bit late (been away), but I have a bit of experience to offer.

After using both Canon and Kodak papers for 2 years, I decide to get systematic and bought small packages of 8.5X11 glossy HP, Epson, and Konica, plus Canon matte paper. I selected photos for colors, detail, and tone, and printed them on all the papers. Much to my surprise, I liked the Konica best! Glossier and brighter than the others. The HP did poorest, but I believe the HP inks are designed to penetrate the paper differentlly and therefore the HP papers only work well with HP printers (a few others that I know have similar experience).

Then I happened across Ilford Gallerie glossy paper in Sam’s Club one day recently, where a box of 100 sheets sold for $22. So I bought a box, and it’s the best yet. Glossier and brighter than anything else I’ve tried. And the best deal! Life is good.

Bob in Las Vegas

wrote in message
Hi,
I purchased a package of the Canon Photo Pro paper. I printed a DVD insert
that I had printed on the Kodak paper so I could compare them. The Canon paper is super glossy as opposed to the Kodak which is glossy. The images are a little lighter (brighter- in a good way) on the Canon paper. The background color of the paper is truer to what I had designed. It printed a darker color on the Kodak-almost a black whereas the color was dark green. There is definitely a difference. It looks nice on the Kodak paper, but I have to tip my hat to the Canon paper. I imagine I would need to use the Photo Pro to get the edge on the high end Kodak paper which I was using.
Thanks for all the help from this group.
Craig

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections