G
Posted By
g8orscott
Feb 24, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Would it make sense that I have to go into the Printer Properties and set the Color Maintenance to teh same (Adobe RGB 1998) color as my scan (from full PhotoShop scanned at a lab), then also set the printer to dark and vivid to get an accurate representation of my scan. Without doing this, and using Automatic instead of manual color, I get an underexposed and bland picture. I have calibrated my monitor using the Adobe Gamma, and the monitor looks the same as the slide that was scanned and the print I had professionally made from the slide.

Does this make sense?

Thanks,
Scott

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

BB
brent_bertram
Feb 24, 2004
Scott,
You shouldn’t be changing your printer properties. The printer has its own colorspace and that is not AdobeRGB .

Here is a related topic from the Photoshop forum. I saved it because I have no experience with the Canon driver, but the author, Lawrence Hudetz has very good success with his Canon printer.

" Lawrence Hudetz – 09:37am Oct 8, 2003 Pacific (#3 of 5) Edited: 08-Oct-2003 at 09:38am PST

I have a Canon S9000 and experience really great prints, Derek. What I didn’t see in your posts is exactly what’s happening. Are you being critical of the subtle color errors the Canon produces? Mostly in B&W, I might add. Full color is superb.

For Canon your setup should be as follows:
Print Options:
Source Space>Document
Print Space Profile: BJ Color Printer Profile 2000
Intent: Perceptual.

You can find that profile in the drop down menu in Print Space Profile.

Next, Click "Properties"

Media Type: Choose Matte for just about everything, except office documents. Then Plain Paper is fine. The other media types don’t print as well as Matte, IMHO.

Print Quality: You can leave it on High for now.

Color Adjustment: Auto works, but clicking Manual and playing with the various selections in the Print Type Box gives some variations. I would stick with Photo here. Leave everything else alone for now!

Now run your print.

Does it look better? "

Hope you find some satisfaction here .

🙂

Brent
CS
Cliff_Skidmore
Feb 26, 2004
Scott
There is a good article titled "Producing consistent color with a desktop printer" available on Adobe website. I don’t have the URL anymore, but it can be found in the Photoshop CS section. The artlicle also applies to PE2.

Cheers
Cliff
G
garyheaton
Feb 26, 2004
Scott,
I do all my own printing on a Canon i9100 printer, at this time. When I use Photoshop these are the steps I have to do to get my prints to exactly match what I see on my screen. (First I have to calibrate my monitor with Adobe Gamma in the control panel from time to time, just to be sure it is still where I want it. One a month I check it, though it seldom off at all.)
First.. I hit" Print Set Up" in Adobe, I check the show more options box, and choose "color management" instead of output.
Then in PROFILE, I set mine for "Color Match RGB". And under that I choose, "Relative Colorimetric" (Once these are set, they will remain that way unless you change them..so you only have to do it one time.)
Other than sizing, that is all I set for Adobe. I hit print, and am taken to the Canon Printer Prompt. There I hit properties, then the "PROFILE" tab, and from there I select the "configuration" that I have set up for that type of printing I wish to do. (Which includes the paper choice, as well as the color management (where I have enable ICM checked, the paper size, etc..) which I have used before, and have set as a "PROFILE" that you can ADD to the factory profiles that come with the printer. I have one set up for each size paper I use, as well as for matt, glossy, pro, etc.
Really, it takes much longer to just SAY it than to do it. It is a matter of two extra clicks, and I get what appears on my screen each and every time.
It works for me anyway Scott, I hope it will be of some help to you as well. Good luck to you.
Gary~*
G
g8orscott
Feb 26, 2004
I appreciate the response Gary, and it makes sense. My only question is where do you get the profile for each paper you use if it doesn’t come with the printer?
G
garyheaton
Feb 26, 2004
I have not had that problem Scott, as I just set it for glossy, matt, or plain, if I am not using Canon paper.
I have used a LOT of Epson, and some Kodak paper in my i9100 using only those settings, and had good results with both.
I use mostly Canon Pro paper now however, as I have found it to give me the best print quality so far with that printer.
Gary~*

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections