GB
Posted By
g_ballard
Oct 2, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
That is what macramdirect just told me when I asked them about how to replace my problematic ram…so now I am going to pull their 12gb of suspect chips and see if their ram is the problem as it would be nice to have a stable machine before a new OS and CS ships…

g ballard, "ACR 4.5 Did Not Fix Photoshop Bug Crashing" #1, 13 Aug 2008 9:28 am </webx?14/0>

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 2, 2008
G:

Try doing it this way:

With Bridge open, NAVIGATE to the folder that contains your .nefs.

Select a group of them and Cmd R to open them in ACR (which should now be at 4.6 in CS3). Start with a small group of .nefs and then try with a larger number of selected files.

Do you still have the same problem?

Also: how are you downloading the .nefs to your HD in the first place?

You wouldn’t be trying to open them in ACR directly from your CFC would you?
GB
g_ballard
Oct 2, 2008
Thanks, I had a nasty power button restart in PS yesterday outside of Bridge and ACR so that was not the bug I am experiencing.

Right now I have macramdirect ram pulled and running with 2gb OEM to reproduce the bug crash.

I just downloaded ACR 4.6 but am going troubleshooting w/o updating for now…
JS
Jeff_Schewe
Oct 3, 2008
That is what macramdirect just told me when I asked them about how to replace my problematic ram

Uh huh…and what do you THINK they would say? I’ve been running Photoshop CS3 (both 10 & 10.0.1) on Leopard since Leopard came out…and yes, 10.5.0 (which kinda sucked). At this point at 10.0.1 and OS X 10.0.1, if you are having stability issues, then you are one of them few that really have hardware problems…it may be ram, it may be the motherboard, it may be one of the ports (USB, FireWire or SATA).

If you don’t have a lemon machine, then Photoshop CS3 should be really solid on 10.4.11 or 10.5.4 and above. If you are having major issues such as hangs ot actual crashes, then I would look REAL HARD at the hardware.
GB
g_ballard
Oct 3, 2008
Thanks, Jeff.

Today I removed 12gb macramdirect ram and crashed in my workflow with the original OEM 2gb in an expected 10 minutes.

I then swapped the OEM ram with two 2gb sticks.

I got farther than I ever got (maybe 30 open files), but just crashed after 20 minutes.

It would appear it is not the ram.

I guess I won’t know unless I Erase a HD and reinstall 10.5 and CS3 from scratch and swap out my keyboard and mice, which of course sucks.

+++++++

I sent an Adobe person my crash logs hoping for a clue, but got none.

I have two new crash logs today…what good are they if no one has a clue?
GB
g_ballard
Oct 3, 2008
I uploaded today’s Photoshop crash logs
<http://www.gballard.net/oct2crashlogs.zip>

ONE crash is with the OEM ram 2 sticks
TWO crash is two sticks of macramdirect ram

Tomorrow I will try ACR 4.6…if that doesn’t work I will try the Erase a HD and reinstall 10.5 and CS3 from scratch firedrill…
GB
g_ballard
Oct 4, 2008
Well it is not user prefs, I made a new user and duplicated the problem in 20 minutes, 20 layers.

Apple is taking a detailed look under my Apple Care.

I am actually very impressed with how professional they were gathering the profiler and console dumps, the details, and how they can enter my serial number and call up all my previous crash logs I sent in when they popped up — hopefully they will won’t so clueless what the problem is…
P
PShock
Oct 4, 2008
My experience with Leopard and CS3 (primarily PS), mirrors Jeff’s. Solid as a rock.

2006 Mac Pro 2.66 with 12GB Techworks (form OWC) RAM.

-phil
GB
g_ballard
Oct 4, 2008
good, most people (macramdirect/apple) will always seem to be more interested in pointing to the people with problems to confuse and dismiss their responsibility

however, I am more interested in the people who are running without problems because that answers my question, does it work

in this case, [my] instinct points to BUG because I can reproduce it consistently using specific steps — Photoshop CS3, Bridge, Adobe Camera Raw, .nef, 16-bit (2008 Mac Pro 8-core, 10.5.5, 14gb ram) — and I have no problems outside of these steps

I have learned to trust my instincts and apply my time accordingly to deal with what doesn’t work here…
GB
g_ballard
Oct 4, 2008
THE STEPS: I need 300 .tiffs at 720×540 for a Final Cut pro project slide show DVD (or web portfolio)

I drag a folder of D200 D300 .nef files into the Dock and drop on Bridge

In Photoshop, i create an sRGB 8bit 720×540 template .psd — I build 720×540 up into layers with a copyright text layer on top (drop shadow effect and 30% transparency)

From Bridge, I open a nef in 16-bit aRGB Adobe Camera Raw using Option+click on Exposure/Blacks, and Exposure sliders

I then open it in Photoshop and go to work on it using mostly Adjustment Layers, Selective Color, Levels, Curves (and save it as master.psd)

I have a couple methods for resizing the 16-bit file to 720×540

Sometimes I flatten the file, drag it over to the 720×540, Transform-Shift click it to scale it down

Sometimes I flatten the file, Option 2x-click on the Background layer, Command-T to scale and rotate the image — then drag it over to 720×540 .psd

Sometime I Marquee a selection, Command+J my selection, and drag it over to 720×540 and use Transform to scale rotate and stretch-squeeze into box

I build the 720×540 layer .psd up into a hundred layers or so

I typically work on the 720×540 layers to finish them off using basic Photoshop tools, selective color, sharpening, sizing, clone stamp, a lot of Fade brush or color moves, history brush

the ‘bug’ seems associated with leaving the nef/psd files open as I work, if I close the files as I work, I generally don’t have a problem and can build the 720×540 psd into over 100 layers with no problems

if I leave the files open as I work, I generally crash between 10-20 layers, usually while moving a slider in ACR

+++++++

if anyone is into this workflow, I would be interested in hearing if you are having any problems with it on Leopard, CS3, Intel 8-core
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 4, 2008
the ‘bug’ seems associated with leaving the nef/psd files open as I work, if I close the files as I work, I generally don’t have a problem and can build the 720×540 psd into over 100 layers with no problems.

So why leave so many of them open?

How many are you leaving open at a time?
How big is your Scratch HD?

I think that you are probably over-taxing your System.
GB
g_ballard
Oct 4, 2008
it’s convenient, and now it’s showing me a problem I may need to resolve under warranty

I have 400gb free on a dedicated Seagate 7200 newer internal sata (jumper removed) 100gb free on my boot drive
all updates/maintenance ran
no 3rd party usb/firewire
no haxies or additional plugins
nothing running in background (safari, itunes, mail, ect.)

overtaxing my system, eh? — i never thought of that one — i would expect a lag but not a train wreck on that theory — have you taken these steps on an Intel/leopard mac
B
Buko
Oct 4, 2008
g, I have not used Leopard too much other than a test environment but Photoshop was not the app holding me back from using it. PS has always been rock solid. for me ID was/is the deal breaker for me.
GB
g_ballard
Oct 4, 2008
I am a very lite ID user

but I occasionally need to hit my outlined workflow hard for 12-hour days in a row

I think it is specific to Intel-based boxes running 10.5x and CS3 (in the workflow i outlined) and my dual matching OEM Apple cards ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT may be part of the problem
R
Ram
Oct 4, 2008
G B,

the ‘bug’ seems associated with leaving the nef/psd files open as I work, if I close the files as I work, I generally don’t have a problem and can build the 720×540 psd into over 100 layers with no problems

With the workflow you have described (300 image files!), I would absolutely want to have a 500 GB or 1 TB drive for scratch disk, more if possible.

Remember that Photoshop sets the size of the scratch based on what it knows about your work habits, the number of history states, layers, etc, as well as the size of the image file.

I wouldn’t be surprised to learn that the scratch disks for all those files are running out of drive space.

As you close files, you free up drive space.

Just my speculation.
GB
g_ballard
Oct 4, 2008
Good,

In any case, I’ve duplicated the problem numerous times between 10-15 files/layers.

But even with all that, photoshop should not be taking a dump if the scratch disk fills up, whatever happened to scratch disk full messages or going to my secondary drive (if I believed I had built 500gb scratch files).

But I do have an update:

ACR 4.6 did not fix the problem.

I got 53 files deep (further than I ever got), but it crashed with a Photoshop Crash Report.

I included the ACR 4.6 crash log in my earlier link at gballard.net/oct2crashlogs.zip
R
Ram
Oct 4, 2008
An application should NEVER crash. I agree wholeheartedly.

It should beep at you, even spit out a condescending error message, but it should not crash.
R
Ram
Oct 4, 2008
You may have mentioned this before, I just don’t recall:

Have you tried having Bridge host ACR as opposed to Photoshop?
GB
g_ballard
Oct 4, 2008
Thanks, I haven’t tried that Ramón (I already have a work around).

I am beginning to tire of all this — BTDT — as I’ve spent about 12 hours of my time in the last three days talking to apple, adobe, detailing my workflow and running my tests for a clue.

Right now I am hoping Apple actually has a qualified genius look at my crash reports to clue me if it looks like a hardware issue.

When I asked the Adobe person what they saw in their crash reports (for a clue), all she said was she was unable to duplicate the problem…I hope Apple can do better than just saying it is an Adobe problem…
GB
g_ballard
Oct 5, 2008
I am no rocket scientist but I have about all my dozen or show Photoshop crash reports end with:

type="__TEXT" path=" /System/Library/CoreServices/Encodings/libThaiConverter.dyli b "/>
</binaryImageSet>
</crash>
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 5, 2008
Bad Asian font perhaps?

Or an Asian Legal file?

(I sem to recall that we had to delete the Vietnamese one?)
R
Ram
Oct 5, 2008
What was causing trouble was the Vietnamese legal file.

However, a REMOVED Asian font is known to cause grief in Bridge 2.x, as, unbelievably, Bridge appears to call on one of the Asian fonts to draw the stars used in the rating system.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 5, 2008
The offending Vietnamese legal file was in the Legal.localized folder.

I removed all of those files except for the English one.
GB
g_ballard
Oct 5, 2008
Apple got back this morning.

After they reviewed the Data Capture, Profiler Report, Crash Logs, they said they were able to determine the hardware is performing properly.

They also added it looked like the OS was working properly, and closed their opinion by saying it looks like an Adobe issue.

They suggested do an Erase-Start-From-Scratch OS/CS3 and retest…
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 5, 2008
G:

Please re-read both #1 and #22.

Have you tried to follow those suggestions?
GB
g_ballard
Oct 5, 2008
Thanks, I am not one to dink around with my install and I have a logical approach to that part of my workflow that should be trouble free.

I am afraid I need to side with Apple on this — and point the finger at Adobe — but can’t say for sure because that would take me another 20 hours to clone my current install off the OEM Apple drive, zerowrite it, reinstall from scratch, run my tests again, and followup.

At the end of all that, I would still have the problem with Jeff Schewe telling me I have bad hardware, and Adobe staff telling me they can’t reproduce the problem.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 6, 2008
Well your crash log did refer to an Asian text problem;
there is a known problem with the Vietnamese "Legal" file; and removing the Legal files that do not refer to your "locality" has been found to have no adverse effects on the performance of Photoshop.

You asked for help but are unwilling to even TRY what anyone has suggested in an effort to help you so I guess that you will just have to work this issue out for yourself.

And the best of luck.

8/
L
Lundberg02
Oct 6, 2008
Buy a huge scratch disk like Ramon said. Siize does matter.
L
Lundberg02
Oct 6, 2008
Add: I just got a beautiful la Cie 500gB with FW, FW800, USB and eSATA for 127. Has that Short Cut button feature.
BS
bw_stenman
Nov 1, 2008
Adobe is the first place I would look when PS or any other Adobe app crashes, both because it is likely the error handling or the memory management or both, and these are largely handled by the application and not the OS. Adobe products, and in particular Illustrator CS3, are very fragile, to put it kindly. Fonts can cause crashes as can font caches as can Adobe’s own patches. A recent patch to Illustrator’s version cue (which can cause PS as well as AI performance problems) created new problems and so Adobe has a patch to the patch. Disabling version cue in Adobe is good place to start in resolving crashes – and save often.

Having bought up its primary competitors, Adobe does not really need to use progressive software testing methods and it really shows.
B
Buko
Nov 1, 2008
Sorry BW if Adobe apps are crashing constantly you have a crappy system and machine because I have not had any crashes using CS3.
N
nunatak
Nov 1, 2008
Having bought up its primary competitors, Adobe does not really need to use progressive software testing methods and it really shows.

WRT progressive testing, what surprised me most was the short window (3 month) between CS3.3 and CS4. It almost seems like they had two independent development streams. So far, I’m very impressed with the workflow integration improvements seen in CS4. New features and frills aside, it also appears to be well behaved on Leopard. So far it’s a pleasant surprise.
GB
g_ballard
Nov 1, 2008
if Adobe apps are crashing constantly you have a crappy system and machine
because I have not had any crashes using CS3.

I beg to differ (for reasons I have already stated)…AND my gut instinct on this one still points at Adobe.

I’ve sent probably 10 full crash reports to Adobe (they all end in the same line) and yet Adobe tells me ZERO clues about where the problem lies.

They did update ACR to 4.6 (Beta appeared to fix the problem, but crashed after 53 layers with the same problem).

I haven’t been tried to duplicate the problem with finished 4.6 ACR yet (after I lost a full two days dinking around on the last series of tests with Apple/ACR 4.6 beta…
JJ
John Joslin
Nov 1, 2008
what surprised me most was the short window (3 month) between CS3.3 and CS4.

None of the core applications were affected by the step to 3.3!
NK
Neil_Keller
Nov 2, 2008
Again, 3.3 upgraded Acrobat from 8 to 9 and added Fireworks. The other apps are the same as 3.0 — nothing new.

Neil
N
nunatak
Nov 2, 2008
Adobe Creative Suite 3.3 Web Premium combines full new versions of:

Adobe Dreamweaver CS3
Adobe Flash CS3 Professional
Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended
Adobe Illustrator CS3
Adobe Fireworks CS3
Adobe Acrobat 9 Professional
Adobe Contribute CS3
Adobe Device Central CS3, Adobe Bridge CS3, Adobe Stock Photos, and Adobe Version Cue CS3 ————-
I see. "Full new" as in meaning "unused" versions. My olfactory glands failed me.
Thanks for the clarification.
NK
Neil_Keller
Nov 2, 2008
nunatak,

Not sure where you got your "full new versions" information. Please see: < http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/pressroom/pressmaterials/pdf s/060208adobecs3.3.pdf>

Neil
B
Buko
Nov 2, 2008
the only difference between CS3 and CS3.3 is Acrobat 9 and Fireworks depending what suite you had originally. The core apps were identical.
NK
Neil_Keller
Nov 2, 2008
This was covered in a long heated discussion about version differences recently as well.

Neil
N
nunatak
Nov 2, 2008
Please tell us where you got your "full new versions" information.

Hi Neil. You have to keep in mind that a press release is usually just a small component of a press kit. And a press kit is only one tool in the sales and marketing toolbox. This verbage is owned by Adobe. Instead of referencing for you ALL the sources I found, you can perform a simple google search using the following criteria:

3.3 "full new versions of"

It should return 12 pages of hits. It’s a "marketing blurb" that adobe used to describe it’s suites in other media kits — including CS2 and CS4. You may not find it used for 3.3. on the public side of Adobe’s site — but that doesn’t negate it’s existed, nor explain the twelve pages of hits. In any event, you have to ask who is the keeper of that verbage — and why it wasn’t asked to be removed?
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Nov 2, 2008
It should return 12 pages of hits. It’s a "marketing blurb" that adobe used to describe it’s suites in other media kits>

Actually most of those listed are merely re-hashed versions of the official Adobe Press Release that have been locally editorialized by various re-sellers and consumer publications.

CS 3.3 was available as an Upgrade to existing owners of the CS3 Suite and the Upgrade DVD contained ONLY Acrobat 9 and Fireworks — because we ALREADY had everything else in the CS3 Suite.

If you did buy the 3.3 UPGRADE, you get a full discount for the amount that you paid for it when you buy the CS4 Suite.
NK
Neil_Keller
Nov 2, 2008
nunatak,

3.3 "full new versions of"

Why should I believe what third party marketers and others not associated with Adobe claim to be what the product spec is? Any time I buy a product, whether software, hardware, consumer electronics, housewares, etc., I check the manufacturers’ site first. Not that they’re always correct, but it is far more likely that the product will be improperly described by others. If I have a claim about product misrepresentation, the manufacturer is not going to honor descriptions elsewhere.

Neil
NK
Neil_Keller
Nov 2, 2008
In any event, you have to ask who is the keeper of that verbage — and why it wasn’t asked to be removed if incorrect? JMO.

The "verbage" [sic] is all scattered around the world. If you believe that could effectively be reigned in, I’ve got a bridge in Brooklyn I can sell you.

Neil
NK
Neil_Keller
Nov 2, 2008
It’s a "marketing blurb" that adobe used to describe it’s suites in other media kits — including CS2 and CS4.

But those two examples are full version upgrades.

Neil
N
nunatak
Nov 2, 2008
most of those listed are merely re-hashed versions of the official Adobe Press Release

Actually, they’re identically re-hashed and span at least two countries other than the US. That in itself invalidates attempts at trivializing this co-incidence with the word "merely". If that were the case then it would be merely misleading to phrase it that way, or by default to leave it that way once published.

However, I didn’t buy CS3.3 — nor am I disparaging the CS suite of products. I’m simply asserting that it was reasonable for consumers to believe there was some other significant difference and my olfactory glands failed to sense that this was another marketing tactic.

If you did buy the 3.3 UPGRADE, you get a full discount for the amount that you paid for it when you buy the CS4 Suite.

In the case of students, they would have to pay the full upgrade cost.
N
nunatak
Nov 2, 2008
I check the manufacturers’ site first.

I see. Do you also archive every site in case the authors edit or remove their claims?

Do you always know what questions you should ask in case some information is missing or misleading? Some manufacturers are deliberately vague or imply by omission. There is no absolute certainty until you get the product into your hands and check what’s under the hood. Adobe has a brand name they deserve to ensure is adequately protected.

In any event — most people rely on the description supplied at the point of purchase. No one assumes the advertiser is out to deliberately mislead them. It’s most probable someone in Adobe’s marketing/PR department simply dropped the ball. Even if it wasn’t deliberate — it was at a minimum careless. If consumers fail to call out products with questionable verbage — or simply buy into every apologists explanation — you’d see a lot more false/creative representations. That hurts everyone.
B
Buko
Nov 2, 2008
If a student bought CS3.3 as a whole package outside of the free upgrade window to CS4 or bought the CS3 to CS3.3 upgrade package they would only be charged 440 for the CS4 upgrade. same as everyone else.
NK
Neil_Keller
Nov 2, 2008
nunatak,

I check the manufacturers’ site first.

I see. Do you also archive every site in case the authors edit or remove their claims?

You’re sarcasm is unnecessary. But, yes, before I buy a product I DO go to the manufacturer’s site and print out information germane to my specific upcoming purchase.

Don’t you?

Neil
N
nunatak
Nov 3, 2008
I doubt that they exactly match the information that Adobe has officially released about the product.

The blurbs I sourced are boilerplate. Pretty much ten search pages worth. That’s beyond a coincidence — it’s evidence. Where do you think merchants get this stuff?

———–

… before I buy a product I DO go to the manufacturer’s site and print out, read and understand all information germane to my specific upcoming purchase.

Then congratulations, you have a record of your pre-sales visit. It might also fall short of getting all information that’s germane to your purchase. Only what you think might be germane.

The trigger issue was that CS3.3 was (past tense) and still is (present tense) advertised as "full new versions". Hence the confusion. We don’t need to argue the obvious.
R
Ram
Nov 3, 2008
Well, I’m not interested in any of the suites, but even to me, as an uninvolved bystander, it became pretty obvious that there were no new versions of the core applications in CS3.3.

The lack of update downloads for any of the applications, or upgrades to the individual programs, was a dead giveaway, even without reading the blurb.
SW
Scott_Weichert
Nov 3, 2008
Just FYI.. if you had the Web Premium CS3 and ordered the 3.3 upgrade.. all you got was an Acrobat 9 CD, that’s it.
R
Ram
Nov 3, 2008
😀
NK
Neil_Keller
Nov 3, 2008
nunatak,

It is apparently fruitless to argue with you as you hear only what you want to hear; not what I or others sincerely tried to explain logically to you in this thread.

Then again, many of us here were easily able to vet 3.3 directly from Adobe’s materials or other proven responsible sources — not hyped-up third-party merchant advertising or clueless blather — clearly understood what the product was, and purchased (or didn’t purchase) that product based upon that information. We’re not the ones who "got stuck" with a purchase we misunderstood.

You may continue to believe whatever you wish, of course. As for me, I’m outta here.

Neil
B
Buko
Nov 3, 2008
Each Creative Suite has had a .3 release.

CS1 was the addition of the new Acrobat.

CS2 was the Addition of the new Acrobat plus Flash and Dreamweaver for the design premium.

For CS3 it was the addition of the new Acrobat and Fireworks if you bought the design premium.

All original apps are identical as Adobe had all their effort working on the next version Creative Suite.

Adobe must love people like nunatak they buy complete new Creative Suite just to get the new CS3 apps.
N
nunatak
Nov 4, 2008
It is apparently fruitless to argue with you as you hear only what you want to hear; Now your sarcasm is unnecessary. Fruitless? Au contraire. I’m debating apples, and you seem to be arguing oranges. That’s what happens when you base your arguments on a false premise.

We both seem to be in agreement that the verbage used was/is wrong. You believe it’s the merchant’s fault, all ten pages of identical google hits, and I’m suggesting that had to be a slip up in the sales & marketing channel. What it was – who cares? We can both fruitfully agree that it’s better to disown that verbage. As others have already pointed out it’s not correct.

Then again, many of us here were easily able to vet 3.3 directly from Adobe’s materials or other proven responsible sources

No kidding?! When you live on this site, you have substantial opportunity to vet something for yourself, and with the community. What’s your point? It has nothing to do with mine. I simply object to false advertising — regardless of it’s source. Who in their right mind doesn’t?

You may continue to believe whatever you wish, of course. What I believe — is that you have completely missed the mark and have flown off on your own tangent. Since you like to print things out — next time I suggest you try that. Ciao to you too. Bye-Bye.
R
Ram
Nov 4, 2008
Nunatak,

It’s called verbiage not verbage.
JJ
John Joslin
Nov 4, 2008
According to the Oxford English dictionary, "verbage" is a perfectly legitimate alternative.
R
Ram
Nov 4, 2008
Not around these parts, JJ.

verbage is not available in the general English dictionary and thesaurus.

<http://www.tfd.com/verbage>

– – –

The encyclopaedia has this to say:

(spelling, jargon) verbage – /ver’b*j/ A deliberate misspelling and mispronunciation of verbiage that assimilates it to the word "garbage".

I always thought those Oxford types were nuts anyway.
N
nunatak
Nov 4, 2008
You are both correct. Thank you.

As an aside — I’ve lived, studied, and worked in a number of different countries and continents. Frequently for publishers who each insist on using different dictionaries and stylebooks. It’s become challenging to index subtle variations. For example, I often find myself pausing to consider whether I should write colour or color? When speaking to an international audience I’ll often compromise with my own ecclectic variation — colo(u)r.

Professionally, the style I use is local to my employers stylebook. Yet casually, here on the net, "these parts" can mean local and global . For casual communications, I frequently use whichever variation was last burned to my cache. 🙂

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections