Posted By
Nadja_Frist
Jan 16, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello,

I currently have Panther running on my MAC and I want to upgrade it to Leopard. I originally had Adobe Photoshop 5.5 and had upgraded to Photoshop CS, then to Photoshop CS2 on my MAC running Panther. If I upgrade my MAC to Leopard, do I go through the same process? …install Photoshop 5.5 then install my Photoshop CS2 Upgrade?

I know that I will need to deactivate/transfer activation before uninstalling Photoshop CS2 and activate after the Leopard Upgrade.

Any assistance/tips would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jan 16, 2009
There is no need to install Photoshop 5.5 — it won’t run in Leopard anyway.
C
Cindy
Jan 16, 2009
Any assistance/tips would be greatly appreciated.

Upgrade to Tiger. Less problems.
R
Ram
Jan 16, 2009
Welcome to the Mac world,Nadjia. 🙂 (Typing MAC for Mac is a dead giveaway.)
B
Buko
Jan 16, 2009
it won’t run in Leopard anyway.

It won’t even install.

MAC = Mothers Against Canada
NK
Neil_Keller
Jan 16, 2009
MAC ≠ Macintosh
R
Ram
Jan 16, 2009
Incidentally, Nadja, I have Photoshop 7.0.1, 8(CS), 9.0.2(CS2), 10.0.1(CS3) and 11(CS4), happily coexisting on my machine. They are totally independent from each other and I can even launch and run two or more different versions simultaneously. I just need to launch the older version first and assign them different volumes to use as scratch disks.

Each upgrade is a FULL installer. It’s entirely up to you to decide whether you want to delete earlier versions or not.
NF
Nadja Frist
Jan 16, 2009
Thanks for you input everyone!

It won’t even install.

I knew Photoshop 5.5 wouldn’t run, but I’m disappointed it won’t even install so I can install and run my CS2 upgrade.
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Jan 16, 2009
Nadja

You are fine you will be able to install your upgrade it will simply ask you for your serial number you have three ways of identifying your copy of Photoshop 5.5 one is if it is installed.
two if the disk is inserted you need two removable disk drives for that or you make a disk image of your 5.5 Photoshop install disk and three the easiest is by entering the serial number of your copy or upgrade to 5.5 Photoshop.

Enjoy your upgrade, however you might find that CS 4 will work for you.

You might read that there are people with problems with CS 4 but those people those people have problems with pure fresh spring water.
NF
Nadja Frist
Jan 16, 2009
Thanks Wade. I will try the easiest one you suggested, #3. I have all my original disks and serial numbers.

however you might find that CS 4 will work for you

I would upgrade to CS4, but I own a PowerBook G4. From the specs I’ve read, I would need a PowerPC G5 or multicore Intel processor. One day maybe when my cash flow increases : )
NK
Neil_Keller
Jan 16, 2009
Nadja,

I would upgrade to CS4, but I own a PowerBook G4. From the specs I’ve read, I would need a PowerPC G5 or multicore Intel processor.

Although we have reports of CS4 working on some G4 systems, it runs slowly (depending upon file size and operation being attempted) and certain features would not be available due to your video card’s limitations.

Neil
NK
Neil_Keller
Jan 16, 2009
Nadja,

I would upgrade to CS4, but I own a PowerBook G4. From the specs I’ve read, I would need a PowerPC G5 or multicore Intel processor.

Although we have reports of CS4 working on some G4 systems, it runs slowly (depending upon file size, RAM, scratch disk size, and operation being attempted) and certain features would not be available due to your video card’s limitations.

Neil
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Jan 16, 2009
The G4 would not be the right place to install CS4.

I hope there is a more modern Mac in your future.
B
Buko
Jan 16, 2009
How fast is the G4 not all are recommended with Leopard?
NK
Neil_Keller
Jan 16, 2009
The bottom line is that G4 technology becomes less and less practical as a foundation for new software. And at some point — soon — it is reasonable to believe that it will fall short of virtually all Adobe application specs.

Neil
NK
Neil_Keller
Jan 16, 2009
The bottom line is that G4 technology becomes less and less practical as a foundation for new software. And at some point — soon — it is reasonable to believe that it will fall short of virtually all Adobe application minimum system requirements.
Neil
B
Buko
Jan 16, 2009
I would not put Leopard on a G4 production machine. Not enough RAM for OS and Adobe apps. Tiger is taxing enough. Nadja would be wise to forget Leopard until he has a Mac Pro.
R
Ram
Jan 17, 2009
Although we have reports of CS4 working on some G4 systems, it runs slowly

Not on my computer, Neil. CS4 runs faster than CS3. Of course, I’m running Tiger, and I take other precautions, outlined below.

Dual bootable, DP MDD 1.25GHz G4 (2004), maxed out at 2GB of RAM, both Spotlight and Dashboard disabled, Photoshop primary scratch disk on dedicated 160GB internal drive, at least 100GB available on each of the four internal drives, up to 300GB on some. Counting external FW drives just over 1TB of drive space available. nVidia GeForce 7800 GS 425MHz 256 MB graphics display card. Processor napping enabled through CHUD 3.5.2.
NK
Neil_Keller
Jan 17, 2009
Ramón,

Understood and accepted. But others have noticed less-than-stellar system performance with their G4s — although, as I recall, at least a few were laptops!

Neil
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Jan 17, 2009
How long do you think they will support the G5s?
NK
Neil_Keller
Jan 17, 2009
My guess? It’ll be no support or marginal support for key Adobe apps by CS5. Right now, you can’t run several Adobe apps without an Intel machine.

Neil
R
Ram
Jan 17, 2009
Right now, you can’t run several Adobe apps without an Intel machine.

Any of the ones we would care about?
NK
Neil_Keller
Jan 17, 2009
Ramón,

I believe that AfterEffects, Premiere, and Soundbooth are on that Intel-only list.

Neil
R
Ram
Jan 17, 2009
Thanks.
DM
David_Muir
Jan 29, 2009
I don’t see a problem running any Adobe software on a G4 if you upgrade the processor and add enough RAM. I’m running 1.6Ghz and 1.62Gb respectively and it’s certainly not slow but I wouldn’t even attempt it with my G4 Power Book. As much as both Adobe & Apple would prefer otherwise, it’s way too early to suggest that theG4 is obsolete for most applications, much less for the G5, but such is the nature of keeping up with the Digital Jones’.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections