AW
Posted By
Andrew_Wilkinson
Jan 31, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi there, I recently upgraded from Photoshop CS3 to CS4 and have been running into an extremely irritating bug with the OpenGL acceleration in Photoshop.

When I use Exposé or Spaces, say to grab some filler text from the ol’ Lorem Ipsum generator, and switch back into Photoshop, the image intermittently ceases to redraw correctly.

For example, if I select some text, delete it and type some new text in, the changes don’t appear until after I’ve typed the text, applied the changes, then switched tools. Or say I paint something with the brush tool, and then undo the change. The History panel will change, but the image appears *exactly* the same, until I either switch tool, move a layer with the move tool, paint something else with a brush or anything else that seems to "force" a redraw.

The problem goes away (on my 9400M at least, I haven’t tested this "solution" on the 9600) if I open the Logout window, or click on a window in the background to give it focus. This does not occur if I disable OpenGL acceleration, but software mode looks pretty ugly, and the smart guides (which I love), run absolutely horribly.

I have a Macbook Pro – one of the new unibody ones, with a 9400M and a 9600M GT. 2gb RAM, Core 2 Duo 2.4ghz, etc. I’m using Leopard 10.5.6 with everything up to date.

This problem is intermittent, seemingly happening less frequently when using a 9400M as opposed to the discrete 9600M GT. It happens on both the laptop’s screen, and an external monitor.

Has anybody else hit the same issue, and found a more permanent workaround? Any beta drivers I should know about?

Thanks in advance.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

R
Ram
Feb 1, 2009
Adobe is aware that CS4 does not work well with Spaces, attributes it to a bug in Leopard and advises you to complain to Apple.
MD
Mate_Dobray
Feb 2, 2009
Adobe is always aware of every single bug, but never does anything about them! I have both CS3 and CS4 installed on my also brand new Unibody MacBook Pro. I’m not having the exact shame issues but other ones instead, like the panels’ contents disappearing when switching spaces, or when I zoom in or out some layers that are hidden reappear for a second, which is annoying because it makes me lose track of the point I wanted to zoom into. Actually the whole CS4 interface appears buggy and unstable to me, it look like some very early Beta… Shame! I stopped using CS4 and I’m back to CS3 a while ago, so these problems don’t affect me anymore! I won’t use CS4 anymore. Maybe I’ll try CS5 in 2 years or something, but only the trial. I’m complaining on so many forums at the same time about so many bugs, and everyone has bugs but never the exact same ones, it’s just a big nightmare. And as for Adobe telling us to go complain to Apple, I would say that I’ve never had problems with Spaces until I installed Adobe applications (CS3 and CS4 are both very bad with spaces). How come complex programs with loads of palettes like Final Cut Pro don’t have any Spaces bugs?
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Feb 2, 2009
And some of us experience no "Bugs" at all — but then we don’t insist on using an Apple feature which is KNOWN to be incompatible with CS4.

Take up the Spaces problem with Apple because Adobe can’t fix Apple’s software!
R
Ram
Feb 2, 2009
Mate Dobray,

No one here can speak for Adobe. We’re not here to defend Adobe, nor to explain why Adobe does things one way or another, nor to apologize for Adobe.

We can describe things as they are to you, and sometimes we can suggest workarounds; but if you want to address Adobe, use the Contact button at the top of thos page.
CC
Chris_Cox
Feb 3, 2009
Mate – Spaces is an OS feature from Apple. Applications don’t know about Spaces and can’t do much about it. Spaces is supposed to work without any changes to the applications, without the application even knowing that Spaces is running.

If you have problems with Spaces, you need to take them up with Apple – because they are the only ones who can fix Spaces.
EI
Eric_i.e.
Feb 27, 2009
Chris that has to be just about the most unhelpful response that I keep seeing over and over in the forums. The fact is that for some reason CS4 doesn’t work right in Spaces and nearly every other application (in my experience) does, including CS3. No matter whose fault that is Adobe is the one who looks like a fool when it happens and the onus is on them to get it working to avoiding looking so foolish/incompetent.

I’m sure you’ll tell me "I’ve seen other applications with bugs in Spaces, even Apple products" and that may be but in my experience using Spaces with a ton of apps nothing even approaches the train wreck that happens with any CS4 app.
CC
Chris_Cox
Feb 27, 2009
Eric – I’m sorry that you’re not happy with the bugs in Spaces, but you really need to talk to Apple about those bugs, because nobody else can fix Apple’s code.

And I fail to see how Adobe can look like a fool when you are seeing bugs in Apple’s product.

Adobe isn’t doing anything wrong here, and has followed Apple’s guidelines very closely. But Spaces has problems, and those can only be fixed in the code for Spaces, by Apple.
NK
Neil_Keller
Feb 28, 2009
Eric,

I think 3 words sum it up: Spaces is buggy.

Neil
P
PShock
Feb 28, 2009
And I fail to see how Adobe can look like a fool when you are seeing bugs in Apple’s product.

Then you need glasses because it affects YOUR product! Have YOU talked to Apple about those bugs?

If people are experiencing problems with an Apple feature that only seems to happen with Adobe apps, it’s perfectly logical to assume the problem lies with Adobe. It doesn’t matter if that assumption is incorrect – perception trumps right and wrong every time! (fortunes are made and lost on perception) And that’s exactly why you keep seeing people complaining about this issue – repeatedly and argumentatively, even after you inform it’s Apple’s problem.

Spaces apparently works fine with PSCS3. You radically change the GUI in CS4 and Spaces is broke. What’s the logical conclusion, regardless of whether or not that conclusion is accurate?

I don’t use Spaces so it doesn’t affect me one way or another, but frankly, this "not-my-job", "not-our-problem" attitude sucks. These are still YOUR customers. People don’t care who’s at fault – they just want the problem fixed.

Rather than just pointing a finger and "talk to Apple", it’d instill confidence in YOUR customers if the response was something a little more helpful and understanding.

Something like, "yeah, we know there’s an issue – we’ve reported it to Apple and we’re working with them any way we can so they can get it resolved.", would show you actually cared about the people who keep you employed.

Caring about a customer … Gee, imagine that?

-phil
CC
Chris_Cox
Feb 28, 2009
Phil – yes, we talk to Apple constantly. We’re still waiting on bug fixes as well.

I’m sorry you read an attitude into my posts that does not exist. And I’m sorry you haven’t noticed how many times I’ve already said that we have worked with Apple, we have filed bugs, but that we can’t do anything about it ourselves.

Adobe has done what we can, and all I can do now is tell you is to contact the people who can do something about the Spaces bugs: Apple.

What more can I say? "Sure, I’ll go wave a magic wand at Apple tonight and fix their code for them?"
NK
Neil_Keller
Feb 28, 2009
Phil,

Adobe’s software is working within Apple’s own specifications here. Adobe has been sending over its emissaries with its findings and offers of help for quite some time, but you want to shoot the messenger.

As I see it, the most valuable thing that you and others can do is to bang as strongly at Apple’s ramparts as you are here and let them know how important it is to their customers to get the problem resolved.

Neil

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections