Anyone else having a Problem with Leopard and Photoshop CS3?

VA
Posted By
Vincent_Alessi
Feb 3, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m using CS3 with Leopard 10.5.4 at work and there are some very aggravating anomalies, that I’d like to nail down to a cause. Most frequently, when switching from apps to P’Shop, the menu bar stays for the previous app, i.e. when going from Finder to P’shop, the menu bar still says Finder and has Finder options. Changing from Lightwave to P’Shop, the menu bar remains Lightwave.

Occasionally, an Adobe app – P’Shop or InDesign – will simply disappear and not come back. The icon in the dock shows it as active, but no amount of clicking, Command-Tabbing will reveal the app and I have to Force Quit, losing unsaved changes.

I have a feeling it’s Leopard, since, I’ve used CS3 on Tiger and CS4 on Tiger and never had a problem.

I’m wondering if upgrading to the latest Leopard would make much of a difference. Has anyone come across this and found any kind of answers?

Thanks for any suggestions.
-Vincent

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

NK
Neil_Keller
Feb 3, 2009
Vincent,

I have a feeling it’s Leopard, since, I’ve used CS3 on Tiger and CS4 on Tiger and never had a problem.

Adobe admits there are some minor issues with CS3 when used with Leopard, as CS3 was developed before Leopard’s debut. But with CS4 out, don’t count on them being fixed by Adobe.

The best options: revert to Tiger or upgrade to CS4.

Neil
VA
Vincent_Alessi
Feb 4, 2009
Hi Neil,
My main concern is with my home machine, which is running Tiger and CS4. It’s a perfect setup and I don’t want to ruin it by upgrading to Leopard and having these headaches I have at work. The main thing is, I’m looking at another piece of software (ZBrush), which requires Leopard. I’d like to know if these problems exist between CS4 and Leopard too, or just with CS3.

Are you using CS4 and Leopard?
Thanks.
-Vincent
B
Buko
Feb 4, 2009
CS4 works much better with Leopard as it was Beta tested with Leopard. Adobe software does not play well with spaces but thats an Apple issue.
NK
Neil_Keller
Feb 4, 2009
Vincent,

Are you using CS4 and Leopard?

I’m using CS4 with Tiger. But as Buko says, CS4 should work well with Leopard.

Neil
P
PShock
Feb 4, 2009
I’d like to know if these problems exist between CS4 and Leopard too, or just with CS3.

Those problems should not exist with CS4 or CS3.

I’ve never experienced any of that with either version in Leopard. My guess is that you either have a bad install (app or OS), a bad font, a corrupt preference, or the machine has hardware problems. What kind of trouble shooting have you done? When you installed Leopard, what type of install was it? If you used the Upgrade method, I suggest you start over with an Erase and Install.

-phil
NK
Neil_Keller
Feb 4, 2009
Those problems should not exist with CS4 or CS3.

Phil,

Adobe explains that there are some issues with CS3 and Leopard as Leopard was released after CS3. And some folks may (unfortunately) experience issues not seen by others in that environment, even with savvy users.

Neil
P
PShock
Feb 5, 2009
Adobe explains that there are some issues with CS3 and Leopard as Leopard was released after CS3

Yes, Neil. I’ve heard the excuse, ad nauseam for well over a year now.

Regardless, show me ANYTHING where Adobe explains Vincent’s problems could be expected or even possible.

Have you actually ever read the Leopard/CS3 FAQ at the top of the main page? According to THAT Adobe explanation, CS3 should be fully compatible by this point. It was written in 2007.

< http://www.adobe.com/support/products/pdfs/leopardsupport.pd f>

Vincent’s problems are user specific.

-phil
NK
Neil_Keller
Feb 5, 2009
Phil,

I’ve heard the excuse, ad nauseam for well over a year now.

It’s a reason, not an excuse. And, no, I’m not defending Adobe here.

Neil
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Feb 5, 2009
Phil seems to find it impossible to accept that multitudes of users (but not him apparently?!) have run into endless problems trying to run the CS3 SUITE on Leopard.

Both the Photoshop and the InDesign Forum have been awash with threads about Leopard problems since Leopard first hit the market; and many people seem to STILL be having problems using CS3 on Leopard — even after updating to 10.5.6.

Just because it doesn’t happen to Phil (who may not use all of the same features of the Suite that others do anyway) does NOT mean that these problems are not real and are not mere PEBCAK.
VA
Vincent_Alessi
Feb 5, 2009
Wow, looks like it’s getting heated in here.
I think it is mainly a Leopard problem – it’s interaction with Adobe. Considering that the Apple forum had quite a number of threads on this issue, it does exist and I doubt it’s simply a font problem or a bad install. I don’t really deal with fonts anyway, as all I do is imaging/illustration. I use InDesign only to open an AD’s layout and get proper placement, nothing more.

If it’s Leopard, fine, I’d just like to know how Leopard interacts with CS4, before I possibly infect a perfectly smooth operation with an upgrade to Leopard. As it is, CS4 and Tiger work beautifully, but I can’t use ZBrush…

What is PEBCAK?
Thanks.
-Vincent
B
Buko
Feb 5, 2009
What is PEBCAK?

Problem Exists Between Chair And Keyboard.

there really weren’t that many problems with PSCS3 and Leopard from the start My main gripe was always with ID and Leopard which is why I have not moved my main machine to leopard. I have it on my Laptop and I’m thinking of making a hard drive with leopard on it again so I can test it a bit more.

My main reasons for not updating now are my Epson 2200 and a few Classic apps I rarely use any more
KC
KEV_CHAMBERLAIN
Feb 5, 2009
What is PEBCAK? Problem Exists Between Chair And Keyboard.

The variation of that which I know is to describe a situation as a picnic – Problem In Chair Not In Computer
P
PShock
Feb 5, 2009
Just because it doesn’t happen to Phil (who may not use all of the same features of the Suite that others do anyway) does NOT mean that these problems are not real and are not mere PEBCAK.

Right. If someone is having a problem associated with Tiger, it’s PEBAK. If Leopard is involved, it’s automatically because of Leopard. Apparently, with Apple’s latest OS, trouble shooting problems are no longer necessary – just blame it on Leopard and call it a day. FUD

I find the dynamics here really interesting. This thread would have been very different if Vincent had posted with problems involving Tiger. Would have gone something like this:

After admonishing him for not providing more information about his setup by posting the obnoxious big blue link on how to ask questions (ahem – we know NOTHING about his machine or configuration, such as which machine, how much RAM, scratch disk or attached peripherals), there’d be all kinds of trouble shooting advice given – "try a new user", "repair permissions", "run DiskWarrior, and on and on …

But no, since he mentions Leopard, none of that is apparently necessary and the completely, utterly irresponsible advice is given … "that’s just the way Leopard is".

Those are some serious problems he’s reporting that have nothing to do with Leopard. Something is obviously hosed!

As for discounting my experience because I don’t use every app in the suite as extensively as I do Photoshop, I’m FAR more qualified to discuss Leopard and CS issues than Ann or Neil who do not use Leopard at all (and have never used it as far as I know.)

"Others have problems with it", is their battle cry but it’s extremely weak. Do I really need to remind you all that these forum are ALWAYS filled with people who have problems, regardless of version or OS? You act as if this forum was a ghost town when Tiger and CS3 were current!

Gee, Ann … people are STILL reporting problems with 10.5 and CS3? How shocking! Guess what – people are STILL reporting problems with 10.4 and CS3 too! Let me make a prediction – people will have problems with 10.8 and CS9!

Vincent-

I don’t really deal with fonts anyway …

Yes. You do. Even if you never type a single line of text, every application uses fonts to create menus and other GUI items. If one of those fonts are bad, it can create all kinds of problems, including the very problems you mention.

The fact that you don’t seem aware of this and you’re still using 10.5.4 leads me to believe you’re not familiar with the basic practices of maintaining a healthy system. Again, how did you install Leopard on that machine?

Look, if you’re simply trying to justify using CS4, go right ahead. It’s a worthwhile upgrade in it’s own right. However, if you install it on that machine in it’s current state, CS4 will NOT fix your problems because you do NOT have a healthy system.

You asked for experiences with Leopard – I can launch every application in both CS3 and CS4 suites simultaneously, and STILL not have your issues. I haven’t experienced anything like your CS3 problems in Leopard – on both a 2006 Mac Pro and a 2008 Macbook.

If you’d like help to try and figure out the real problem, I’m more than happy to help. If not, Adobe will gladly take your money …

-phil
KR
Kevin_Rabito
Feb 5, 2009
Don’t go to 10.5.6. Oops I made the mistake. Issues with time machine, printing and others. Now trying to figure out why my images look faded when going from NEF to jpg or tiff or psd through imageprocessor in CS3.
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Feb 5, 2009
Phil seems to find it impossible to accept that multitudes of users (but not him apparently?!) have run into endless problems trying to run the CS3 SUITE on Leopard.

And some seem to find it impossible to accept the multitude of users that successfully use CS3 in Leopard. Count me as another user that does use CS3 in Leopard. And count me as another FUD-fighter.

Running at 10.5.4, I wonder why 10.5.5 and 10.5.6 updates were not attempted as the most basic troubleshooting step.

Kevin, Adobe alleges that the 10.5.6 specifically addresses printing with CS3 <http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3194>. Perhaps you had something configured prior to the update to compensate for whatever problem existed previously.
AW
Allen_Wicks
Feb 5, 2009
I am with Phil: something is hosed, the symptoms you describe are probably not an OS/app conflict. Start by upgrading your OS to current after backing up important data. If that does not resolve the issue then re-install PS.

Routine usage of Disk Warrior also is a good preventative protocol IMO, but if you buy DW be sure to get the correct version for the OS that you are using.

Repair Permissions via Disk Utility immediately before and immediately after every installation. Although repairing Permissions is not a fix for poor performance, many folks do find that religiously repairing Permissions immediately before and immediately after every installation of any kind helps keep a graphics box running more smoothly. Routine usage of Disk Warrior also is a good preventative protocol IMO, but if you buy DW be sure to get the correct version for the OS that you are using.

Good luck!
VA
Vincent_Alessi
Feb 5, 2009
It’s 2.8 QC with 4GB RAM.
I’m not ignorant as to what an OS does with fonts, I just highly doubt it’s a simple font problem. If that were the case, it would be system wide and not simply Adobe wide. I also didn’t install anything, because this company leaves the user out of it to insure everything is done by the IT Dept.

These problems exist for me, as well as other users, and considering it has been posted on Apples forums by complete strangers to myself, I’m sure it’s real and probably a Leopard problem. Before I go stirring up IT, I’d like to have some answers instead of the down time that comes with IT taking over my computer.

Also, I’m not trying to justify getting CS4, I own it at home. I’m trying to figure out if I upgrade my home machine to Leopard, in order to use Zbrush, will I be dealing with the same nonsense I deal with here at work. As it is CS4 and Tiger work together better than I could have expected and have no want to open up a can of worms on my home computer.
-Vincent
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Feb 5, 2009
I would definitely get your IT guy to upgrade your system in the office to 10.5.6, and see if that solves your Finder problems, before deciding whether or not you want to make changes to your home computer.
B
Buko
Feb 5, 2009
Clone your OS. then update the clone see if things work for you. if so reclone the original and then update the original drive. Keep the clone incase you need to go back.

I just highly doubt it’s a simple font problem. If that were the case, it would be system wide

Wrong
VA
Vincent_Alessi
Feb 5, 2009
If a System Font is corrupt, it wouldn’t affect the entire system and only Adobe products?
VA
Vincent_Alessi
Feb 5, 2009
I would definitely get your IT guy to upgrade your system in the office to 10.5.6, and see if that solves your Finder problems, before deciding whether or not you want to make changes to your home computer.

Yeah I I guess I’ll start there and see if I have any luck. It’s really hard to get anything done, without having total control of the machine and needing to depend on a completely different department.
B
Buko
Feb 5, 2009
Adobe apps are very susceptible to corrupt or damaged fonts even duplicate fonts can screw with them.
B
Buko
Feb 5, 2009
FontAgent Pro is a good tool to find bad fonts.
VA
Vincent_Alessi
Feb 5, 2009
Adobe apps are very susceptible to corrupt or damaged fonts even duplicate fonts can screw with them.

Oh okay, I get it. Thanks.
Something else Ill have to ask IT to look into getting.
Thanks.
-Vincent
NK
Neil_Keller
Feb 5, 2009
Vincent,

I recall working in Word on machines, then switching to Photoshop or QuarkXPress. Only then would I know that one of the fonts I had been using earlier was damaged.

Neil
R
Ram
Feb 5, 2009
Vincent,

Tell your IT guys there’s a fully functional 30-day trial version of FAP (FontAgent Pro).
B
Buko
Feb 6, 2009
Well I just installed Leopard on a test volume. I’m using it now with all my main apps I’ll let everyone know how it goes.
R
Ram
Feb 6, 2009
Good luck, Buko.
GP
geoff_parkin
Feb 6, 2009
I have had similar issues but I have tried using a maintenance program in the past and the problem did not persist. Google Jesse Hogue and see if you can find his apple scripts, it may help.
B
Buko
Feb 6, 2009
Good luck, Buko.

Nothing to do with luck, it either works or it doesn’t. My guess is things work much better now. We’ll see how it goes. I’m not worried about ID4 in Leopard but it will give me a chance to test all those things that people keep complaining about.
R
Ram
Feb 6, 2009
it either works or it doesn’t

If it works, you had good luck; if it doesn’t, you had bad luck. Nothing more profound than a figure of speech there. 😉

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections