LM
Posted By
lisa_mmm
Oct 1, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
using CS3 on iMac 10.5.4. creating a new doc. specify canvas size 6.302 inches x 4.56. when i check on the canvas size from within the doc it has become 6.303. I change it back to 6.302. click OK. go back into canvas size to check and it’s back to 6.303! please help!

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

B
Buko
Oct 1, 2008
You can’t have part of a pixel
LM
lisa_mmm
Oct 1, 2008
I don’t understand. why is 6.303 an acceptable measurement, but 6.302 not? are pixels only divisible by 3s?
NK
Neil_Keller
Oct 1, 2008
lisa,

As Buko says. But then again, from a practical standpoint, you are talking about a thousandth part of an inch! You cannot see that with the naked eye.

If you really need to hack off part of a pixel, you can do that cropping in InDesign, QuarkXPress, Illustrator, etc.

Neil
P
PeterK.
Oct 1, 2008
It depends on your resolution. If you have a resolution of 1 pixel per inch, you can’t have a document that’s 1.5 inches. Photoshop will round it off to the closest size that the number of pixels in that dimension will allow.
LM
lisa_mmm
Oct 1, 2008
thanks, guys. though i still don’t understand this conceptually, i’m going with ‘can’t see with naked eye.’
R
Ram
Oct 1, 2008
Lisa,

Quite simply, pixels aren’t "divisible" at all.

If your dimensions don’t work out to WHOLE pixels in any dimension, Photoshop will have to compensate accordingly.
CB
charles badland
Oct 1, 2008
However, pixels can be any size. You can take your pixel dimension and divide by your target width and use the resulting PPI. Might be something like 254.189 PPI.

But as said, you’re talking about a difference so small as to be inconsequential. Unless..
"lisa mmm"… micro-millimeter?????
NK
Neil_Keller
Oct 1, 2008
Lisa,

i still don’t understand this conceptually

Here’s another way to look at it. Pixels ("picture elements") are the smallest unit of a Photoshop image. Magnify any Photoshop image, and you will see a colorful checkerboard of colors. Each of those color squares is one pixel.

So, getting back to your question, let’s say that you’re setting square tiles on a bathroom floor. And your tiles, like pixels, are fixed size and butt up against each other like a checkerboard. Now when you finally reach a wall with those tiles, they may fit exactly, or you may have to use a tile cutter to get the last row, closest to the wall, to fit.

But with pixels, Photoshop doesn’t supply a tile cutter, so you may have a minor image size adjustment to get them to fit properly. If you need the tile cutter, you place your image in another application (as I mentioned earlier) in an exactly sized box which can mask the unwanted portion of the last row of pixels.

Hope that helps.

Neil
B
Buko
Oct 1, 2008
Nicely explained Neil.
LM
lisa_mmm
Oct 2, 2008
ok, now i get it. thank you so much for the detailed explanation. whew!
NK
Neil_Keller
Oct 2, 2008
🙂

Neil
CB
charles badland
Oct 2, 2008
Great analogy Neil.
But (sorry to muddy the waters here) “tiles, like pixels, are fixed size”… Imagine a Home Despot with an almost infinite number of tile sizes. You could buy all 3” sq tiles. Or all 3.06” sq tiles, or all 2.97” sq tiles and so on. There might be a certain size tile that will fit your floor perfectly.
The only criteria are the tiles must be square, in a grid, they can not be cut, and they all must be the same size. But what that size is… is pretty much up to you.
NK
Neil_Keller
Oct 2, 2008
charles,

I did consider the technical variables as I wrote the analogy. And I toyed with the idea of editing my post, but in the interest of keeping it simple, I left it as is. And most important, the concept was understood.

Neil
NK
Neil_Keller
Oct 2, 2008
charles,

Thanks. I could have gotten more technical of course, but decided that simplicity would be better for the poster.

Neil
CB
charles badland
Oct 2, 2008
Yep, which is why I edited my response. (if you caught the long version!) 😉
L
Lundberg02
Oct 3, 2008
Wainscoting!!!
NK
Neil_Keller
Oct 3, 2008
Lundberg,

That’s it…now if we could only add that to the edge of Photoshop images…! <g>

Neil
LM
lisa_mmm
Oct 3, 2008
what is wainscoting?
CB
charles badland
Oct 3, 2008
Wainscot:
"Wall material, used in the lower portion of a wall, that is different from the material in the rest of the wall."

It was extending the tile-on-the-floor metaphor.
CB
charles badland
Oct 3, 2008
In a bathroom, it is common to see a tile wainscot, like the floor… so in Neil’s analogy… that would be “Big Data” (information beyond the Canvas area)? Or maybe a 3-D feature in CS3 Extended?
LM
lisa_mmm
Oct 4, 2008
got it–thanks!

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections