RR
Posted By
Robert_Rundbaken
Apr 25, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a tif file. In the reesize pane I have the photp at 6×4 and the canvas is 6×4.

But when the file is open the canvas is twice as large as the photo. I tried resizing and hitting the hand tool twice. I can’t get the canvas and photo to match.

Also when I printed the print had the same problem: the photo was 1/2 the size of the paper. I haven’t had this problem otherwise

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

CS
Chuck_Snyder
Apr 25, 2004
Somehow I lost what I posted – will try again.
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Apr 25, 2004
Robert, are you speaking of the canvas or the gray area that surrounds a photo that’s been zoomed out? If the latter, you can fill the out the window by hitting Ctrl-+ once or twice in most cases.

With respect to the printing, if Image>Resize>Image size says 6 inches by 4 inches, the image should print at those dimensions. Are you printing on a 4 inch by 6 inch piece of paper? You may have a spurious setting in the File>Print Preview window. Go there and make sure it doesn’t say Scale to Fit Media and that the printer settings are correct.

That’s a start….
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Apr 25, 2004
Robert, if you’re speaking of the gray area around a photo that’s been zoomed out, that’s really not canvas and can be made to disappear with a Ctrl+ or two or with the Zoom tool doing a Fit to Screen command on the toolbar.

With respect to printing, whatever the inch dimensions are in Image>Resize>Image size should match what’s printed, unless you have a bad setting in the Print Preview window. Go there (File>Print Preview) and make sure the scaled print size is accurate and that the Scale to Fit Media box is unchecked. Then go to the Printer setup and make sure you have the right paper dimensions.

That’s a start….
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Apr 25, 2004
Ah….my lost posting reappeared. Oh, well….
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Apr 26, 2004
Robert, if you’re speaking of the gray area around a photo that’s been zoomed out, that’s really not canvas and can be made to disappear with a Ctrl+ or two or with the Zoom tool doing a Fit to Screen command on the toolbar.

Ctrl-0 (that’s zero, not oh) will get rid of gray area around the image and size the image to fit the screen. Another handy one…Ctrl-Alt-0 will give you an image at 100% magnification…i.e., actual image pixels, no resampling. Normally, PSE resamples any image it displays depending on the magnification you select. When you’re using the USM, it’s advisable to look at actual pixels to see the effect of your sharpening. That’s when Ctrl-Alt-0 comes in handy.
Bert
RR
Robert_Rundbaken
Apr 26, 2004
It is definitely the canvas. I went to print preview and all the settings are correct. The image is centered on the canvas. The canvas size and image size are 4×6 but again the canvas is much larger than the photo. The print comes out the same way. The paper is 4×6 but the print is 1/4 that size.

I am on a Mac.
BH
Beth_Haney
Apr 26, 2004
This is beginning to sound like a resolution issue. Check a couple of measurements, write them down, and then post them.

First: Image>Resize>Image Size. The physical dimensions of the image in inches and the resolution.

Second: Image>Resize>Canvas Size: The same numbers.

I’m not sure how the image got separated from its background, but that’s the thought coming when I read your description. In general the image and canvas shouldn’t be able to be viewed separately unless that’s something you specifically set up.
RR
Robert_Rundbaken
Apr 26, 2004
I tried that. I resized both to 4×6 but the image doesn’t change

The image measures 2×3 on the canvas but in the resize box it says 4×6. This is the only photo that has this problem. I can’t seem to resize the image. Could I have set something inadvertantly? What other settings might affect this?
NS
Nancy_S
Apr 26, 2004
Robert,

Try Select>All. When the selection line is around your image, go to Image>Crop. Now what size does it say for under Image>Resize>Image size? Or Select All, Edit>Copy, File>New, Edit>Paste. What is the size now at what resolution?
BH
Beth_Haney
Apr 26, 2004
Robert, you never did say what resolution they were set to. That was the key feature I was after when I said I suspected a resolution problem and asked for the number from both the image and the canvas. 🙂
RR
Robert_Rundbaken
Apr 27, 2004
image;
The resolution is 300 pixels/inch
document size 6×4
pixel dimensions 1800 x 1243 pixels

canvas:
6×4
BH
Beth_Haney
Apr 27, 2004
But is the resolution of the canvas the same as that of the image?
RR
Robert_Rundbaken
Apr 27, 2004
It’s the same. The only info in the canvas resize window is ‘current size’ and ‘new size’ Both say 6×4

When I ‘select al’l the box does not border the image. It selects the canvas.

Now in the layers palette I notice that I see it says layer not background. I made a background via copy but still can’t change the image.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections