why do i get a blue background when i change canvas size?

RB
Posted By
russell_byrne
Jun 21, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have jpeg files that i need to add text to in the white canvas outside of the image….when i print the images the extra canvas around the image is blue..

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

BG
Byron Gale
Jun 21, 2004
Russell,

Isn’t the canvas you add automatically colored with your current background color?

Byron
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jun 21, 2004
the thing is, if it’s a ‘background’ layer, in other words he hasn’t double clicked on it to make it an ‘editable’ layer..the canvas will in fact extend with the background color swatch. If in fact it is an editable layer then the extra canvas would be transparent and print white. If he sees white on the screen but it’s printing blue then that is something for the books !
RB
russell_byrne
Jun 22, 2004
thanks for the input,i tried what you suggested jodi,….no help though….i created new blank document…this time white only….and when i went to print preview it showed the canvas as being lite blue on the white paper….
TF
Terri_Foster
Jun 22, 2004
You’re absolutely sure that white is the background color chip in your toolbox? A thought just occured…you are using Elements and not Photoshop? I only ask because sometimes people accidentally post Photoshop questions here. If it is full photoshop, you can select the background canvas extention color in the Canvas size dialog box.

Terri
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jun 22, 2004
Ruessell, have you calibrated your monitor using the Adobe gamma that came with the program ? You may be ‘seeing’ white when it actually isn’t. On PC it’s located in your control panel. Follow the steps to calibrate your monitor cause Elements and Photoshop are color managed programs. Also, Keyboard D will give you black and white in the fg/bg color tools…or white color code is #FFFFFF.

Anyways, let us know
RB
russell_byrne
Jun 22, 2004
when i changed the setting of my color management back to "no color management" the issue resolved itself….this problem only began i remember when i calibrated the program to my compaq monitor…. had tried setting my background color to fffff prevoiosly thinking that it might be the problem and had no luck….maybe it is some foible of windows xp and compaq when using elements…..thanks
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jun 22, 2004
ok then, good ! ya, I’m a ‘no color management’ user as well. I just get much better prints with it off. I don’t know enough about color management but when my print matches the screen then I’m happy to be ignorant 🙂

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections