SF
Posted By
Stephen_Field
Jun 30, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have several photoshop documents (psd) that I am converting to photoshop pdf’s . When I am placing the photoshop pdf’s into InDesign, the size of the pdf is slightly smaller in both width and height than the original psd.

Is this normal and how do I correct this?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Y
YrbkMgr
Jul 1, 2004
How are you creating the PDFs? If you are distilling them check the margins in distiller (through version 4, I don’t know about 5 or 6), and set them to zero. If you are using Save As PDF and seeing this, then I’m stumped – I’ve never seen that.

Peace,
Tony
B
BobLevine
Jul 1, 2004
I already replied in the ID forum. What is your defintion of slightly?

Photoshop files, despite any settings you use are still defined in pixel. There can be very slight roundoff errors in measurements because of it.

Bob
SF
Stephen_Field
Jul 1, 2004
I am saving them as photoshop pdf’s as they were originally photoshop psd’s.

The image size of both in photoshop is 3.667 inches wide by 2 inches in height.

When placed in InDesign, the psd is still 3.667 x 2 inches.

However the photoshop pdf is now 3.6528 x 1.9861 inches which causes the graphic to NOT be completely filled in the frame I have created around it (when I go to re-import the new pdf file).

So for each new pdf I import I have to adjust the original frame size. I was hoping to not have to go to so much work when re-placing each file.

Any suggestions?
B
BobLevine
Jul 1, 2004
What are the page dimensions when you open the PDF in acrobat?

Bob
SF
Stephen_Field
Jul 1, 2004

3.65 inches x 1.99 inches

So, is there any way to correct this so it comes in as the same size as my original psd.
B
BobLevine
Jul 1, 2004
I think the problem does go back to round offs. I’m just guessing but, it seems that the Photoshop file maintains two dimensions…pixel and whatever other measurement you set, such as inches.

The PDF can’t handle pixel data but try this as an experiment. Save as PDP by changing the extension in Photoshop instead of doing it in Windows and see if the correct data is retained.

Bob
SF
Stephen_Field
Jul 1, 2004
unfortunately,
Same result
Any other suggestions. This is frustrating.
B
BobLevine
Jul 1, 2004
Are you creating the frame in ID first and then placing the PDF? If so, stop and just place the PDF should create a frame the exact size needed.

Bob
SF
Stephen_Field
Jul 1, 2004
I am re-"placing" or re-linking an existing inline graphic psd that already has a frame applied to it. So when I replace it with the photoshop pdf (pdp) it is not same size as the frame.
B
BobLevine
Jul 1, 2004
You could use a script to resize the frames when you’re done.

I think at this point you might want to go back to the ID forum for details on doing that.

Bob

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections