M
Posted By
Matthew256
Sep 27, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have several layers in my picture, and a huge canvas. How can I tell Photoshop Elements 3.0 to automatically size the canvas to fit the picture?
Or, how can I get rid of all my white space?

Matthew

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

R
Roy
Sep 27, 2005
wrote in message
I have several layers in my picture, and a huge canvas. How can I tell Photoshop Elements 3.0 to automatically size the canvas to fit the picture?
Or, how can I get rid of all my white space?

Matthew

Carefully use the Crop Tool to exclude the white parts. Remember anything outside its rectangle will be disappeared.

Roy G
M
Matthew256
Sep 28, 2005
I’m a little surprised that there is no automatic way. Can somebody confirm this?

Thanks,

Matthew
R
Roy
Sep 28, 2005
wrote in message
I’m a little surprised that there is no automatic way. Can somebody confirm this?

Thanks,

Matthew

Think about it for just a moment.

How would the program know which bits of white are part of the picture, and need keeping, and which parts are not and can be deleted.

It is all just a series of numbers to Photoshop, and you have to do the creative bit for yourself, and decide what you want to keep and what you want to delete.

You should have been able to just about finish the cropping in the time it took to Post here. Drag – Click, Drag – Click. How hard is that?

Roy G
M
Matthew256
Sep 29, 2005
Roy,

There are white pixels taking up space. Those stay.
There is "white space" that is just a blank canvas. There are no layers in this area at all.
I’ve worked with Macromedia Fireworks, which has this feature. It has been very handy.
That’s why I was suprised that Photoshop didn’t have it.

Yes, it’s true I could crop. But what if I slice off the top of someone’s head by mistake and don’t notice it before it goes to press?

Matthew
R
Roy
Oct 3, 2005
wrote in message
Roy,

There are white pixels taking up space. Those stay.
There is "white space" that is just a blank canvas. There are no layers in this area at all.
I’ve worked with Macromedia Fireworks, which has this feature. It has been very handy.
That’s why I was suprised that Photoshop didn’t have it.
Yes, it’s true I could crop. But what if I slice off the top of someone’s head by mistake and don’t notice it before it goes to press?
Matthew

A couple of points.

All layers will have the same dimensions as the Canvas.

A layer may not have an image in part of its area, and the non-image area can be white or transparent, but it is still the same size as the Canvas.

An Automatic system would be much more likely to crop off a critical part than a human who is looking at where the Tool is being positioned.

Do check your image is correct before Printing or sending it off.

Roy G
M
Matthew256
Oct 3, 2005
Fair enough.

Thanks for your input!

Matthew
M
Matthew256
Oct 3, 2005
Fair enough.

Thanks for your input!

Matthew

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections