Posted By
BugginSue
Mar 24, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Good morning,

I’ve been trying to debug an error that is increasingly becoming more annoying than anything.

When I try to adjust the Canvas Size it is defaulting to 0 in height and width. If I enter any number it adds it to the current size.

So if my current image/canvas size is 400 x 300 and I select Canvas Size and I put in 50 x 20 (to make it smaller) my new canvas size then is 450 x 320…. it’s ADDED my requested size instead of reducing the image/canvas size.

I’ve tried to put in a negative sign in the front of the numbers, but it obviously gives me an error.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

I have installed both 9.0.1 and 9.0.2 updates directly from Adobe’s Website.

Thanks so much in advance for all your help!!

Sue

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

TB
Tony Blair
Mar 24, 2007
"BugginSue" wrote in message
Good morning,

I’ve been trying to debug an error that is increasingly becoming more annoying than anything.

When I try to adjust the Canvas Size it is defaulting to 0 in height and width. If I enter any number it adds it to the current size.
So if my current image/canvas size is 400 x 300 and I select Canvas Size and I put in 50 x 20 (to make it smaller) my new canvas size then is 450 x 320…. it’s ADDED my requested size instead of reducing the image/canvas size.

I’ve tried to put in a negative sign in the front of the numbers, but it obviously gives me an error.

Sue

I may be wrong but I don’t think this can be done! After all if you want to reduce excess canvas you could just crop!! If you think about it!! If you reduce the canvas size without reducing the image size, you would have nowhere for the excess image to go! Anyway! that’s the way I look at it!!

The only way to reduce is via image size!! or just plain cropping!!
MH
Mike Hyndman
Mar 24, 2007
"Harry Limey" wrote in message
Good morning,

Sue

I may be wrong but I don’t think this can be done! After all if you want to reduce excess canvas you could just crop!! If you think about it!! If you reduce the canvas size without reducing the image size, you would have nowhere for the excess image to go! Anyway! that’s the way I look at it!!
The only way to reduce is via image size!! or just plain cropping!!

Agree, she is increasing her image size by adding a 50 * 20 pixel "canvas border" around the image.

MH

TK
Toobi-Won Kenobi
Mar 24, 2007
Good morning,

Sue

When you open an image, the canvas size and "image size" are the same. When you add 50 and 20 pixels to the canvas size it puts a border of this size around your image, that is why you are seeing what you are. If you want to make your image smaller you need to crop or resize your image.
To Crop, hit C on your keyboard and type your size into the width/height boxes on teh options bar, dont forget to add px, eg 50px. To resize, go to Image>Image size and type your dimensions into the height and width boxes.
If you want to reduce the file size (space it occupies on disc) check the resamle box.
This will work OK if your "aspect ratio" is the same, before and after.

TWK
LM
lemel_man
Mar 25, 2007
Toobi-Won Kenobi wrote:
Good morning,

Sue

When you open an image, the canvas size and "image size" are the same. When you add 50 and 20 pixels to the canvas size it puts a border of this size around your image, that is why you are seeing what you are. If you want to make your image smaller you need to crop or resize your image.
To Crop, hit C on your keyboard and type your size into the width/height boxes on teh options bar, dont forget to add px, eg 50px. To resize, go to Image>Image size and type your dimensions into the height and width boxes.
If you want to reduce the file size (space it occupies on disc) check the resamle box.
TWK
I’ve too have PS CS2 9.0.2. I just tried with an image where the canvas size was 8.5" by 6.4". I changed the canvas size to 6" by 4", left the "Relative" box unticked and pressed "OK". A warning window popped up saying *The new canvas size is smaller than the current canvas size; some clipping will occur". I pressed the "Proceed" button and the image was clipped to 6×4".
So, it worked for me…

Regards, Gary Wooding
(To reply by email, change feet to foot in my address)

Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com
TW
Toobi Won Kenobi
Mar 25, 2007
"lemel_man" wrote in message
Toobi-Won Kenobi wrote:
Good morning,

Sue

TWK
I’ve too have PS CS2 9.0.2. I just tried with an image where the canvas size was 8.5" by 6.4". I changed the canvas size to 6" by 4", left the "Relative" box unticked and pressed "OK". A warning window popped up saying *The new canvas size is smaller than the current canvas size; some clipping will occur". I pressed the "Proceed" button and the image was clipped to 6×4".
So, it worked for me…

6 * 4 is an aspect ratio of 1.5:1
8.5 * 6.4 is an aspect ratio of 1.328125:1
So you should have seen some distortion using this "method" of reducing image size.
In 10 years of using PS and similar I have never heard of anyone using canvas size dimensions to reduce an image, increase yes, where you surround the image with a "faux" mount or frame.

TWK
D
Dave
Mar 25, 2007
In article <eu5q27$2qk$1$ says…
Toobi-Won Kenobi wrote:
Good morning,

Sue

TWK
So, it worked for me…

So you should have seen some distortion using this "method" of reducing image size.
In 10 years of using PS and similar I have never heard of anyone using canvas size dimensions to reduce an image, increase yes, where you surround the image with a "faux" mount or frame.

TWK

When you make the canvas size smaller, you are essentially performing a crop. There is now distorion of the image because it is not being resized. You are resizing te canvas that displays the image, so you are just seeing a smaller portion. If you really want to crop the image, using teh crop tool is much better in that you can actually choose where you want the crop to be.

If what you want to do is crop the image with canvas size, you need to make sure the Relative Check Box us un checked.

If you want to see the whole image, only smaller, you need to use the Image Size command. That will reduce the entire image and not crop it.

Dave Nelson
LM
lemel_man
Mar 26, 2007
Toobi Won Kenobi wrote:
Toobi-Won Kenobi wrote:
Good morning,

Sue

TWK
So, it worked for me…

TWK
Well, I’m sorry to disillusion you, but I just tried again. This time changed the canvas size to 6×1" – it cropped the image without distorting it. The original image size was 256×1920 pixels @ 300/inch, the new image size is 1800×300 pixels at the same resolution (which gives 6×1").

Regards, Gary Wooding

B
BugginSue
Mar 27, 2007
On Mar 24, 9:36 am, "BugginSue" wrote:
Good morning,

Sue

First off, thank you all for responding!! 🙂

I guess I did not explain this correctly…. there is a problem with my install of Photoshop and I’m trying to see how to fix it besides uninstalling and reinstalling.

These are the steps I take just to give you an idea of what is the problem here:

1. I open an image, for example sake let’s say it’s 450 x 300
2. I want to crop it to 85 x 85, middle default to crop to the middle
3. I select Image Canvas Size
4. Where it should have Current Size: 450 x 300 in the Width: / Height: ;… THIS IS THE ERROR: it has Width: 0 / Height: 0
5. If I put in 85 x 85 and click Ok my new canvas size is now 535 x
385 and a nice 85 pixel frame in the background color which was set for the Canvas Extention Color

In other words, I can not do anything smaller than my original canvas size… I have to manually crop, which sometimes is a pain when I want to take a pixel or two off without having to draw guides to make sure I get it perfect… or double click and type in a manual marching ants marquee to then select and crop.

Again, it’s just a major annoyance than anything, but it’s just enough to bug me to want to see if there is an easy fix.

Thanks again!!
LM
lemel_man
Mar 27, 2007
lemel_man wrote:

………..The original image size was 256×1920 pixels @ 300/inch, ……

Sorry, finger trouble, that should be 2560×1920.

Regards, Gary Wooding

TW
Toobi Won Kenobi
Mar 27, 2007
Toobi Won Kenobi wrote:
Toobi-Won Kenobi wrote:
Good morning,

Sue

TWK
So, it worked for me…

TWK
Well, I’m sorry to disillusion you, but I just tried again. This time changed the canvas size to 6×1" – it cropped the image without distorting it. The original image size was 256×1920 pixels @ 300/inch, the new image size is 1800×300 pixels at the same resolution (which gives 6×1").
It is very rare for me to be disillusioned; so you managed to get it to crop without distortion, well done!
It cropped the image yoiu say. What control did you have over the resulting crop? Try it with a portrait and see what you lose and do you lose the same features each time.

TWK
TW
Toobi Won Kenobi
Mar 27, 2007
Good morning,

Sue

I guess I did not explain this correctly…. there is a problem with my install of Photoshop and I’m trying to see how to fix it besides uninstalling and reinstalling.

These are the steps I take just to give you an idea of what is the problem here:

4. Where it should have Current Size: 450 x 300 in the Width: / Height: ;… THIS IS THE ERROR: it has Width: 0 / Height: 0
385 and a nice 85 pixel frame in the background color which was set for the Canvas Extention Color

In other words, I can not do anything smaller than my original canvas size… I have to manually crop, which sometimes is a pain when I want to take a pixel or two off without having to draw guides to make sure I get it perfect… or double click and type in a manual marching ants marquee to then select and crop.

Again, it’s just a major annoyance than anything, but it’s just enough to bug me to want to see if there is an easy fix.

Thanks again!!

If what you see is due to a "bug"it is one that his unique to your setup, I have found no mention of this in the adobe archives.
It is possible that your prefs file has suffered some corruption and needs to be deleted. A reinstallation will not correct this!
See the help files for intructions.
What his difficult in typing your dimensions into the Crop tool’s height and width boxes or in Image>Image Size?
Resizing (the correct way) read
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/javascript/excerpt/Photoshop CS_chap05/index.html

TWK

TWK
LM
lemel_man
Mar 27, 2007
Toobi Won Kenobi wrote:

…snip…
It cropped the image yoiu say. What control did you have over the resulting crop? Try it with a portrait and see what you lose and do you lose the same features each time.

TWK

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not advocating using Canvas Size as a primary cropping tool because there is very little control as to what is chopped off. You can only choose to align the cropped area with the centre of the image, each of the 4 corners, or the middle of each side: 9 options in all.
I only posted because somebody said that Canvas Size didn’t crop and I’d been using it to trim a bunch of images to 6×4" after adjusting for optimum resolution. On some images I added a bit, and others I removed a bit. Canvas Size was the ideal tool.

Regards, Gary Wooding

TK
Toobi-Won Kenobi
Mar 27, 2007
Toobi Won Kenobi wrote:

…snip…

TWK

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not advocating using Canvas Size as a primary cropping tool because there is very little control as to what is chopped off. You can only choose to align the cropped area with the centre of the image, each of the 4 corners, or the middle of each side: 9 options in all.
I only posted because somebody said that Canvas Size didn’t crop and I’d been using it to trim a bunch of images to 6×4" after adjusting for optimum resolution. On some images I added a bit, and others I removed a bit. Canvas Size was the ideal tool.
It’s like using a hammer to fix screws when you have a couple of DeWalt drill/drivers in your tool box.
It may work (at what damage to the screw?) but there are better tools to use.
TWK
B
BugginSue
Mar 28, 2007
On Mar 27, 5:27 am, "Toobi Won Kenobi" wrote:

Good morning,

Sue

Thanks again!!

If what you see is due to a "bug"it is one that his unique to your setup, I have found no mention of this in the adobe archives.
It is possible that your prefs file has suffered some corruption and needs to be deleted. A reinstallation will not correct this!
See the help files for intructions.
What his difficult in typing your dimensions into the Crop tool’s height and width boxes or in Image>Image Size?
Resizing (the correct way) readhttp://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/javascript/excerpt/Photo shopCS_chap05…

TWK

TWK- Hide quoted text –

– Show quoted text –

Thanks, I’ll definitely check this out! I haven’t been able to find any mention of this online or the Adobe site, etc. as well.. you all have been very accommodating! Thank you again!!
S
shadysprings
Apr 8, 2007
On Mar 24, 6:36 am, "BugginSue" wrote:
Good morning,

When I try to adjust theCanvasSizeit is defaulting to 0 in height and width. If I enter any number it adds it to the currentsize.
So if my current image/canvassizeis 400 x 300 and I selectCanvasSizeand I put in 50 x 20 (to make it smaller) my newcanvassizethen
is 450 x 320…. it’s ADDED my requestedsizeinstead of reducing the image/canvassize.

Sue

Exact same thing just started happening to me last week. Just came out of the blue. Real pain now that I can control canvas size without doing math to figure out what to add and subtract.

Wonder if a reinstall will fix it back.
R
robophoto
Jul 4, 2007
Hi
When I do a find in bridge I don’t get any results. I know the keywords are there because I can see them, but I get nothing.
George Robinson
C
chrisjbirchall
Jul 4, 2007
Hey Robo, the Bridge forum is at: <http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx/.3bba3d54/> ….and when you get there start a new thread rather than highjack one which has no relevance to the subject in question.
JJ
John_Joslin
Jul 4, 2007

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections