Posted By
ardisius
Oct 3, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Folks

For video I want to specify the resolution of each element in my PS creations to be multiples of 72 pixels/inch to give optimum image integrity in the finished video production.

Not the position of the element on the Canvas, or the Image Size of the overall Canvas, but the individual graphics making up a montage.

Any help would be greatly appeciated.

Roy

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

AR
alan_ruta
Oct 3, 2006
I’m certainly confused. Once your create an image are you than scaling it when you use it in video? Otherwise it will still be 72dpi rez. Rez of some computer screens but not a TV/VCR.

I’m conphused.

alan
A
ardisius
Oct 3, 2006
Thanks, Alan

No, I create the image okay to the standard NTSC 720 x 480 canvas with — say — a textured or other graphic as the background , but I want the individual elements I place ON the canvas as a montage to be scaled in multiples of 72 pixels/inch, eg, 72, 144, 216, etc on the 720 x 480 overall image!

Sorry to be so conphuzing 🙂

Roy
B
Bernie
Oct 3, 2006
You mean multiples of 72 pixels.

Pixel count and resolution are two different things.

What are you trying to accomplish?
A
ardisius
Oct 3, 2006
Yes — to conform to NTSC CCIR 601/DV, based on 720 x 480 dpi, I want all my elements on the 720 x 480 canvas to be scaled in multiples of 72 "dpi"

See for example <http://keyguides-1.home.mindspring.com/Media/ScanGuide.hqx> which may explain bettere what I am trying to accomplish. The bottom line: optimum image sharpness in my end-product NTSC video.

Roy
B
Bernie
Oct 3, 2006
PS work in pixels. just setup your document to be 720 x 480 pixels and everything you place in it will be at "optimum sharpness".

Forget about DPI, it’s not relevant to video work in pixels instead.
A
ardisius
Oct 3, 2006
Truly? I figured every element had also to be in multiples of 72! But if I save as layered .tifs, will everything still be at optimum sharpness?

Appreciate your input here!

Ever learning

Roy
B
Buko
Oct 3, 2006
tifs, will everything still be at optimum sharpness?

It will be as sharp as the image.

If I understand what you are saying if regular is 720 x 480 then double the files pixel dimensions to 1440 x 960 things would look better.

is this what you mean? I don’t do video maybe you should try it and report back.
A
ardisius
Oct 3, 2006
Hi Buko — long time no speak!

No, what I mean is, on a 720 x 480, everything should be fine for NTSC Video. BUT … if I place a graphic element on it that in itself is not a multiple of 72 (ie, if my added image is say 129 x 417 an odd number, not multiples of 72, for example 144 x 432) and save my layered document as a .tif, will the non-72-multiple image on the 720 x 480 be just as sharp as if it were a 72-multiple?

Maybe I’m making it a bit too conphuzing 🙁

Regards

Roy
AR
alan_ruta
Oct 3, 2006
Roy,

I’m still a bit gray on this, but my feeling is that if the image (whatever dimension less then 720×480) is 72dpi it will look the same when placed.

Don’t bet your life on this though,

alan
B
Bernie
Oct 3, 2006
Ardisius,

until you do print stuff, forget PPIs. Think of pixels as a unit of measure like inches or centimeters (which essentially, they are when in comes to video and web work).
A
ardisius
Oct 3, 2006
Very many thanks to all for everybody’s help! I’m a video man, but boy — have I appreciated Photoshop for all my graphics!

Regards

Roy

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections