C
Posted By
cbjroms
Mar 18, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
For my website, I want to make the canvas size for each photo 600 by 600 pixels (at 72 ppi).

I then want to crop the photo to get the best picture of the item and fill the gap between the cropped image size and the canvas size with a colour.

I have been trying to achieve this by creating a background layer and then using the free transform tool on the photo. But the canvas size seems to change with the image size. Also I need to do this to about 600 photos.

What is the best way of achieving what I am after?

Thanks in anticipation.

Chris

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

PF
Paul Furman
Mar 18, 2006
cbjroms wrote:

For my website, I want to make the canvas size for each photo 600 by 600 pixels (at 72 ppi).

I then want to crop the photo to get the best picture of the item and fill the gap between the cropped image size and the canvas size with a colour.
I have been trying to achieve this by creating a background layer and then using the free transform tool on the photo. But the canvas size seems to change with the image size.

I don’t understand how the canvas size changes. select your cropping rectangle, invert the selection, set your background color and delete. Control drag to re-center. Or just crop then expand the canvas size to 600×600 with the background color pre-set. That last part could be automated with a batch action pretty easily.

Also I need to do this to about 600 photos.

Thanks in anticipation.

Chris
RG
Roy G
Mar 18, 2006
"cbjroms" wrote in message

I have been trying to achieve this by creating a background layer and then using the free transform tool on the photo. But the canvas size seems to change with the image size. Also I need to do this to about 600 photos.

Thanks in anticipation.

Chris

Hi.

I presume you will be inserting the pics into a table, or tables on the Website.

The easiest way is to fill the Table Cells with a background colour, and then just insert the photo. The extra space around the photo will show the colour.

You can set things up so that all the cells will have the same colour, or you could select a specific colour for each.

If you do it in PS, and then want to use one of those photos on its own, you would need to crop off the coloured canvas.

Roy G
RG
Roy G
Mar 18, 2006
"Roy G" wrote in message
"cbjroms" wrote in message

Thanks in anticipation.

Chris
Hi again.

I have just re-read your post.

To do what you want is very easy.

Crop or resize your picture as you need, and set the res to 72 as you do so.

Then go to Image > Canvas Size and set it to 600 pixel x 600 pixel. In the Canvas Size dialogue there is an option to change the colour of the Canvas to anything you want.

Roy G
N
nomail
Mar 18, 2006
cbjroms wrote:

Thanks in anticipation.

First, use ‘Automate – Fit Image’ and fill in 600 pixels by 600 pixels. This will resize any image to fit into a 600 x 600 pixels square, so landscape picture will become 600 pixels wide and portrait pictures will become 600 pixels in height. Next, use Canvas Size and fill in 600 x 600 pixels again, and choose the background color. That will make all the images 600 x 600 pixels square, and fill the gaps with that color.

Johan W. Elzenga johan<<at>>johanfoto.nl Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.nl
T
theartist
Mar 20, 2006
Johan W. Elzenga wrote:
cbjroms wrote:

Thanks in anticipation.

First, use ‘Automate – Fit Image’ and fill in 600 pixels by 600 pixels. This will resize any image to fit into a 600 x 600 pixels square, so landscape picture will become 600 pixels wide and portrait pictures will become 600 pixels in height. Next, use Canvas Size and fill in 600 x 600 pixels again, and choose the background color. That will make all the images 600 x 600 pixels square, and fill the gaps with that color.
Using the Automate menu will help.

Feel free to correct me anyone( as I am not a current user of any CS version at this time), but I think you may be able to get what you want to all of your images in all your directories by creating a contact sheet (an Automate feature).

0. backup your images in the folder(s) that you choose when performing "Contact Sheet (II), or (III)" -in case of a mistake
1. check the box to pick up all the subdirectories in your root directory.
2. specify contact sheet filenames and such
3. spec 600×600 for size (72 dpi is the default, I think)
4. spec 1 across x 1 down for layout
5. Choose background color.

I think there is even an option to keep a layered file.

Hope this helps,
-theartist

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections