Posted By
kappabear
Sep 15, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi there,

I have several Adobe products (CS3, Acrobat Professional) that I’m using on my MacBook Pro that all fail to update with the following error:

"The installation process encountered a problem. Please choose from the following options: • Cancel the current update and continue installing the remaining updates. • Stop installing and continue later."

If I continue the installation, each subsequent attempt also fails.

On this particular account, I’m running FileVault. If I sign-in to another non-FileVault account, the installations continue with no problem. However, when I sign back into the FileVault account, it doesn’t see the updates! Ugh.

Help!?

I’m using Mac OS 10.5.4 .

Thanks!

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

SW
Scott_Weichert
Sep 15, 2008
Turn off FileVault, update, turn it back on.
K
kappabear
Sep 15, 2008
Yeah, if it were only that easy.

Turning FileVault off takes about 2 hours, and another 2 hour to turn back on.
B
Buko
Sep 15, 2008
That’s why we don’t use filevault.
R
Ram
Sep 15, 2008
I had forgotten that FileVault even exists.
K
kappabear
Sep 15, 2008
Yeah, but if you have confidential data on your computer, it’s unbeatable, and that’s why I use it.
NK
Neil_Keller
Sep 15, 2008
Well, you can take the confidential information off your computer and keep it in a bank vault. If your computer fails, is stolen, or if you forget your secret password, you lose it all anyway.

Neil
K
kappabear
Sep 15, 2008
That’s why you make back ups of your important information (ideally encrypted), and keep them off-site. Just like I hope you do, with all of your important Photoshop images.
NK
Neil_Keller
Sep 15, 2008
Not just Photoshop files, but job files, bank and legal records, etc. — anything that would be difficult or impossible to replace or recreate. Computers, particularly laptop computers, are not bank vaults.

Save your files to another drive on your computer as instant backup. Keep at least one other copy burned to discs, preferably in a secure location off-premises.

Neil
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Sep 15, 2008
* Do you have a firmware password <http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1352>? * Do you have your firewall configured properly?
* Are you fully patched with OSX updates?
* Do you have automatic login turned off?
* Do you have a secure DMG file <http://www.wap.org/journal/securestore/default.html> that holds only your important encrypted files?

If you answered ‘yes’ to these, you can get rid of filevault entirely and operate your computer with better security and efficiency. If you answered ‘no’ to a few of these, you may not really be a good candidate for using filevault anyway.

You can submit a bug report to Adobe. But it appears that Adobe’s advice is to disable filevault. < http://www.google.com/search?q=photoshop+filevault+site%3Aad obe.com>
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 15, 2008
Features of Open Firmware Password Protection When turned on using one of the PowerPC-based models listed above, Open Firmware Password Protection:

Blocks the ability to use the "C" key to start up from an optical disc. Blocks the ability to use the "N" key to start up from a NetBoot server. Blocks the ability to use the "T" key to start up in Target Disk Mode (on computers that offer this feature).
Blocks the ability to start up in Verbose mode by pressing the Command-V key combination during startup.
Block the ability to start up a system in Single-user mode by pressing the Command-S key combination during startup.
Blocks a reset of Parameter RAM (PRAM) by pressing the Command-Option-P-R key combination during startup.
Requires the password to use the Startup Manager, accessed by pressing the Option key during startup (see below).
Requires the password to enter commands after starting up in Open Firmware, which is done by pressing the Command-Option-O-F key combination during startup.
Blocks the ability to start up in Safe Boot mode by pressing the Shift key during startup.

Do you REALLY want that?
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Sep 15, 2008
Ann, those are security measures. So those really concerned about protecting their computer would want that… just as PC and other BSD/Linux users exercise BIOS passwords.

How secure is your Mac if someone can simply insert an OSX install disc to reset your admin password? This is why Apple offers firmware password capability to those that really care about security.

If you want to consider these effects of firmware password protection as problems, they are nothing compared to the problems one may encounter with FileVault on a damaged disk.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 16, 2008
I guess that I don’t really give a damn about "Security"!

I just don’t keep "sensitive" information on a non-Firewall-protected networked Mac; and I definitely want to be able to use those various Start-up methods because they can become essential tools if trouble strikes.
NK
Neil_Keller
Sep 16, 2008
Maybe I’m paranoid. But I don’t keep any very sensitive information on my computer. No passwords; only rudimentary account information…

Neil
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Sep 16, 2008
I guess that I don’t really give a damn about "Security"!

I don’t keep any very sensitive information on my computer.

That’s all nice but how does this affect kappabear? Some folks do require security and telling them that you don’t personally care about security is really of no aid.
NK
Neil_Keller
Sep 16, 2008
The point is that a realistic evaluation of what is kept under security should be made. There may well be safer places to keep such data.

Neil
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 16, 2008
Kappabear may just need to do an Archive & Install one day.

Or to run DiskWarrior by starting-up from its CD.

Or to do any one of a number of other tasks that are made possible by the various other Start-up modes which using "Open Firmware Password Protection" obviates.
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Sep 16, 2008
Ann, FileVault is typically just as useless with DiskWarrior or other disk utilities when it comes to a disk error.

When you need to boot from a separate disk on a firmware-locked system, you are prompted for your open firmware password – just like you are on a PC. This is really not the big deal you are assuming. Mac is easier than you are trying to make it. 🙂
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 16, 2008
That’s nice … but I prefer to stay blissfully insecure anyway!

🙂

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections