HELP! DEADLINE! PS7 & OSX–won’t keep font sizes, "update fonts" EVERY time open file

JT
Posted By
Jackie_Tarry
May 28, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
using PS 7 on OS X, on 2 different computers, same problem…

PS won’t retain font settings. EVERY SINGLE TIME I open the file, I get a message to "update fonts’ with a grey warning [!] triangle next to every text layer.
I can’t edit any text layers unless I update, but once I do PS keeps converting every single text layer from a round point size number to an arbitrary decimal number (both font size & leading). for example, 11 pt becomes 10.1pt, 18pt becomes 16.1pt.

I’m on a deadline and can’t waste time resetting every single text element everytime I need to make a change.
thought this might be some hidden setting, but "HELP" feature in Photoshop is not available. and I’ve checked the character & paragraph options, and can’t find anything in there that might do it. (what’s "system layout"?)

any help appreciated!
thanks

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

PH
Paul_Hokanson
May 28, 2004
I’d start by investigating your fonts…

Are you using a font manager? Do you have conflicting font IDs? Is the font you’re using loading twice (ie: if you’re not using a font manager, you could have a font in your Adobe fonts folder loading along with a similar font that’s in your system font folder. This could confuse Photoshop into thinking you do not have the exact font that was used to create the file, hence the update message each time you open it.

From there I’d go through some computer maintenance routines… permissions..scripts (cocktail, etc)…
GB
g_ballard
May 28, 2004
nothing like the word to grab attention
on Paul’s lead and Ann’s followup (on fonts troubleshooting):

<http://www.gballard.net/psd/troubleshootpurgepsd.html>
JT
Jackie_Tarry
May 28, 2004
re: fonts….I’ve tried it on 2 different machines with various setups… load font through library, load font through suitcase. it does it with both system font (arial) and individual font (helvetica neue). ugh.
JT
Jackie_Tarry
May 28, 2004
g ballard — re:
<http://www.gballard.net/psd/troubleshootpurgepsd.html> .. . ..
thanks for the link. 🙂 I had already tried trashing the PS preferences, didn’t make any difference. I can also try allocating more memory/cache.
GB
g_ballard
May 28, 2004
If a SpareUser or another machine (with different fonts) doesn’t get you back to work, I would l suspect the file…
JT
Jackie_Tarry
May 28, 2004
I tried making a new file and copying over the individual layers…still the same problem.

I also noticed that the default setting for text is a decimal size…creating a new text item in a new, clean file defaults to the size 11.1pt.

I tried creating a new file & testing the text…same problem. if I leave it at the default of 11.1pt, it’s fine. but if I change the new text in the new file to 12pt or 14pt, PS changes the size and forces a "font update"

….so thus far I’ve tried trashing the prefs, opening a new file & transfering layers to that new file, makine a new test file, opening the files on different machines in completely different locations…and nothing is working.

virus? patch?
R
Ram
May 28, 2004
Are you viewing the file at 100%? Did you scale the image at any point?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections