MA
Posted By
Mary_Ann_Honcharik
Aug 17, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Since installing Camera Raw 4.5 printing from CS3 with an icc profile has improved greatly – but, when printing using custom size the sizes come out wrong.
The windows all look fine – including the preview window, but the the print comes out with only 1/4 of the page printed or printed as a portrait orientation instead of landscape.
After wasting several sheets of 17×24 inch paper it seems that the custom size must be entered as the printer width rather than the width according to the orientation – ie. for printing landscape on 17×24 inch paper I had to enter the custom size as 17 inch width x 24 inch height. And then I had to choose user defined for the margins (but used the settings for Epson stylus pro 3800).
After that, choosing landscape orientation in page setup & in the print dialog did the trick. Before installing the new Camera Raw 4.5 if the setup was wrong it would be wrong in the preview window.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

R
Ram
Aug 17, 2008
ACR has absolutely nothing to do with printing from Photoshop.

Try trashing/resetting your preferences. If that does not help. Install the latest driver for your printing.

Are you running Photoshop 10.0.1? What exact version of the OS?
MA
Mary_Ann_Honcharik
Aug 17, 2008
I’m running OS X 10.5.4 on a Mac Pro with 2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon & 4 GB 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM Memory (I installed the latest security update this past week).
I updated to ACR 4.5 (thru adobe tech help) after installing the security update. I’ve been using Epson driver 6.10- beta version for Mac OS X 10.5 for several months with no problems.
Seems to me that ACR 4.5 previews stated that some printing issues would be fixed with this upgrade, along with support for more cameras, and support for linking to CS3 from LR2.0.
It is possible that the security update affected printing from Adobe CS3. Several months ago there were serious problems printing from Aperture & Lightroom that were "fixed" with an OS X security update. Some of those problems were printing size & orientation problems, as well as incorrect color. I checked printing after this latest security update, but not with custom sizes.
I guess I’ll have to do some further investigating to determine what exactly is causing the current problem & find a workaround. I’m not a computer expert – I’m a photographer. And I’m getting weary of having to find fixes for things that should have been handled by the development staff for the various software products that I’m using – plus, it gets expensive when paper and ink are wasted – very expensive when printing to large custom sized paper. And very bothersome when you cannot depend on what you see in the preview window as to print size nor orientation.
Anybody else out there with similar problem with the latest upgrades?
JS
Jeff_Schewe
Aug 17, 2008
I can assure you that Camera Raw 4.5 would have zero impact on printing from Photoshop CS4. Once you are past Camera Raw and the image is opened in Photoshop, Camera Raw’s involvement is completely over. You really should look a some other troubleshooting because it ain’t Camera Raw 4.5 that is involved…
NK
Neil_Keller
Aug 18, 2008
Jeff,

I assume you mean Photoshop CS3! <g>

Neil
JS
Jeff_Schewe
Aug 18, 2008
Oooops, yeas, I meant CS3 (since there ain’t no CS4 yet)

:~)
B
Buko
Aug 18, 2008
Must be wishful thinking. B)
L
LarryGR
Aug 18, 2008
And as it were CS4 was announced on this 17th day of 2008!
MA
Mary_Ann_Honcharik
Aug 18, 2008
OK. Problems also in LR 2.0 trial version – preview does not accurately show print orientation – if you forget to set the correct orientation in page setup, but set orientation correctly on the print page – the preview shows the orientation from the print page, but the actual print will be oriented as on the page set up. This is the same for LR 1.4.1
Also had several instances of garbled preview screen in LR 2.0 trial version. And Aperture will not print any custom sizes – the printer just stops. Change the settings to a non custom size & it prints.
I’ll try to get someone with CS3 & LR 2.0 & ACR 4.5 on a PC to check this out. This may be a Mac problem from the latest security update. Since it is primarily confined to custom paper sizes problems most users won’t encounter the problem.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections