JC
Posted By
Jane_Carter
Apr 13, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Just starting to use iPhoto, it makes duplicate albums, actually too many duplicates. I find that it is overriding my simple way to name and organize photos. I would love to create albums by name and date, then name the individual pictures.
But iPhoto is running away with my way of doing this, and making "last roll" and "last 12 months", "Easter 2004", all into duplicate albums, and they are all the same download of my easter pictures. How can I just get them into one album? When I download another card, will it create another roll, or deposit the new pictures into "Last roll".
Any hints to simplify this process, would be very helpful to me. Thanks,
Jane

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

BH
Beth_Haney
Apr 13, 2004
Jane why don’t you post your e-mail address so people who use iPhoto regularly can contact you privately. Or, go to the Apple forums. I’m sure there’s one for iPhoto, and you can probably get a very quick response and learn lots of neat tricks.

(And now you’re seeing one reason why I never switched to iPhoto. It made hash of the system I know and love!)
MR
Mark_Reibman
Apr 13, 2004
Jane,

iPhoto is only making one duplicate and only when it has some editing done to it. I know that it appears that it’s making lots of duplicates but it is drawing those albums from the main library. It may duplicate thumbnails, but those are very small files. Remove the image from your main library and you will see that image no longer in your albums or ‘last 12 months’, etc.
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Apr 13, 2004
Jane,

When you download your next lot of photographs …. last roll will only contain them not the previous ones. It only shows the last thing you download and its quite handy for checking photos out.

As, Mark says iPhoto only keeps one image and that is in the main photo library. You can create your albums as normal (within iPhoto) and then "move" your images into it using drag and drop (In fact it still doesn’t move them … it just makes a link to them so that you can see them within your new album)

One thing you have to remember is if you want to delete a photograph from iPhoto completely then you have to do it from within the main library. Deleting it from an idividual album just removes the link to it.

Wendy
JC
Jane_Carter
Apr 13, 2004
Hi Beth, I thought that when you clicked on my name, that was a link to my email. This must be the other forum, sorry, here it is
Several people have already contacted me about Mac things, so I must have posted it somewhere here??? Joe had some great help on iPhoto for me earlier.
And I sure see how my system, like yours, is much easier to use. But I will try to keep using iPhoto on this computer so I will eventually get it understood.
I will continue to use my own system on the G4. Having the "Best" on the G4, and all the photos on the iMac will make for less clutter.

Mark and Wendy, I see how this works now, so I will delete from the main library. I wanted to make albums within folders, with names and dates, so I sure will have to go along with iPhoto. Need to move albums within iPhoto, rename them, but I seem to just create new ones.
Thank you all for the help, it will take a bit of learning on my part, thank goodness for 2 computers!
Jane
DS
Dick_Smith
Apr 13, 2004
Jane,

You haven’t set you email in your preferences ‘cuz your email doesn’t show up behind your name.

Dick
JC
Jane Carter
Apr 13, 2004
Hi Dick, I will fix that right now, thanks for bringing this to my attention, I didnt know that we had an address with our , the site default one. Is this an automatic address for us here on the forum?
I will use my regular one anyway.
I did work with iPhoto a bit this morning with the guy who works at the little Mac store. I do understand it better now. Since I have my own invented system, I was having trouble when iPhoto was trying to do it their way and I was trying to make iPhoto use my way, my fault, as usual. Much better now.
Jane
DS
Dick_Smith
Apr 13, 2004
jane, I think the default address is just to beat the spammers. I don’t think it really goes anywhere, but I could be wrong.

Dick
JC
Jane Carter
Apr 13, 2004
I have never seen it connected with anybody either.
I am glad you told me to re-configure my preferences and put my email in here. Thanks again and again,
Jane
PD
Pete_D
Apr 14, 2004
jane, I think the default address is just to beat the spammers. I don’t
think it really goes anywhere, but I could be wrong.

Dick,

Yeah, a year or so ago our e mail addresses would show with every post but that had its problems. Then it was changed so that everyone gets an @adobeforum address after their name. But it is not a valid address.

Pete
MP
Mel_Pettit
Jun 6, 2004
When I burn a CD-R from the photo well I get a complete set of duplicates on the disk which I don’t want, I have set the check mark to "best and selected what I want but still get unwanted photos and replication at the bottom end. Why? m pettit
MR
Mark_Reibman
Jun 6, 2004
I’m guessing here but it may be that iPhoto is saving the original and your edited version, which would make sense.

If you don’t want that to happen you can export all of the photos that you want to save to CD to a folder on your hardrive and then copy and burn those to your CD.
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jun 6, 2004
Mark,

I do it that way …. much easier to export them to a folder and burn from that.

Wendy

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections