MR
Posted By
Mark_Reibman
Jan 8, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
For those Mac folks who haven’t heard the news yet, iPhoto 2 has been upgraded and replaced by iPhoto 4. Apparently the introduction and sales history of iPhoto 3 occurred over a nanosecond so most of us didn’t have time to fully appreciate it.

It looks as though there has been some significant improvement in this new version and it may actually be un- slow, with other new and useful features. The downside is that it looks like it will not be a free upgrade as it has been in the past and will only be available with the purchase of the collection of iApps called iLife. $49 please.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

JH
Joe_Henry1000
Jan 8, 2004
I ordered iLife 04 during the keynote. I’m really hoping the speed improvement is as dramatic as they claim. Although at the rate I’m taking pictures, I’ll hit the 25,000 pretty fast. I’m also hoping they fixed the current and archaic way of managing and creating multiple libraries. If those two things happen, I’ll be a happy guy.

OT: Kind of bummed that iDVD requires more horsepower than my aging G4/533 can give. I don’t think a new mac is in my near future so I’m seriously contemplating a processor upgrade.

Joe
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Jan 8, 2004
Hey… Now that Apple’s charging for iPhoto (bundled with iDVD, iMovie and GarageBand) maybe Adobe will port Album to the Mac?

Hmmm….

Joe
R
Ray
Jan 8, 2004
Mark, have you watched the Jobs’ keynote address ? I did. iPhoto 4 was really verrrry cool! The ability to run a slideshow, full screen, to rank and delete pictures was just.. wow!

Ray
….and no, I don’t have a Mac, yet.. πŸ™
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Jan 8, 2004
maybe Adobe will port Album to the Mac?

Are you kidding, Joe? Look at the number of people in the apple forums howling bloody murder at the idea of paying the price of Album and getting iphoto, imovie, idvd, itunes and garageband for that money.

Can’t see many of them being willing to spend that much for just one app that doesn’t do all that much more than the one they’re complaining about paying $10 for.
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Jan 8, 2004
Barb,

Look at the number of people in the apple forums howling bloody murder at the idea of paying the price of Album and getting iphoto, imovie, idvd, itunes and garageband for that money.

I don’t go by there much anymore, too much whining. Heck, like I said, I’m willing to pay $49 just for iPhoto (and it’s improvements). I’d be willing to pay that same amount to Adobe if it could come up with something better than iPhoto.

And don’t forget that the people who whine and bitch on those boards are likely a very small portion of the 10 million installed OS X user base. They’re just the most vocal. I bet plenty of people fork over the cash for iLife and or a viable alternative to iPhoto.

Competition is good!

Joe
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Jan 8, 2004
Well, personally I’ll spend it happily just for garageband, but there is whining all over the place, not just the forums.

It hasn’t been this irritating since the .mac whining in 2002. Gee, maybe it’s time to bring this <http://www.crazyapplerumors.com/2002_07_14_archive.htm> back. (need to scroll to "apple relentsΒ…"
BP
Basil_Pap
Jan 8, 2004
Hopefully iPhoto4 will make unnecessary the need to break up the data base into smaller libraries for speed. Switching has been a pain. Transitions also in slide shows and movies are cool. And maybe it will accommodate more than one contiguous piece of background music. It is a great complement to PSE2 which of course can be selected as its photo edit component.
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jan 8, 2004
Well I don’t mind paying for iPhoto BUT I do object to having to buy iLife when the only application I want or will ever use is iPhoto.

Doesn’t seem fair !! … well thats my view πŸ™‚
JC
Jane_Carter
Jan 9, 2004
Wow, I think that I just might wait another few months for my planned purchase of a new Mac. If I buy it in July or August, I hope that all the new versions of all this software would be ON it and in good bug-less smooth working order.
Every time I look at the Mac scene, it gives me the message to hold off on a new one until things are ready for non-tech people like me. And I dont really want to have to pay for operating system upgrades that are needed, and upgrades like iPhoto. And to pay for enhancements to the OS.
My old G4 is stuffed to the gills with memory and still deals with my stuff at no cost very well.

Egads, what is a person to do? The pressure to buy the new OS, the shiny new Mac, the great software, I still am at a crossroads with this,,,,,,
Jane
LM
Lou_M
Jan 9, 2004
Well, Wendy, I think we all have to get used to buying everything in suites now.

Sure you can buy MS Word, but MS Office is only $150 more. So nobody buys Word.

Sure you can buy Photoshop, but the CS Suite is only a couple hundred dollars more. So most new buyers probably get the whole suite.

Sure, Apple could offer iPhoto for $39, but most people would pay the extra ten bucks even if they rarely, if ever, use the other apps.

Think of it as Super-Sizing an application. πŸ™‚

iLife ’04 is a super incredible value, IMHO.
LM
Lou_M
Jan 9, 2004
Jane: Just do it!

Software and hardware will *ALWAYS* be better/faster/cheaper if you wait. But you can wait forever…
JC
Jane_Carter
Jan 9, 2004
Hi Lou, That is exactly what my husband says, but I still am hesitant,,,,, It seems that Mac is in kind of a transition period, and that within a few months or so, they should have overcome all these dilemmas. Then I will pounce!
Jane
MR
Mark_Reibman
Jan 9, 2004
iLife ’04 is a super incredible value, IMHO.

Yes, no doubt about it. However, to use some of these iapps I will have to upgrade my computer, maybe even buy a midi controller. Let’s see, what else? Final cost….$$$$!
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jan 9, 2004
Mark,

I couldn’t have put it better … I have now noticed that iPhoto 4 needs 10.2.8 or higher.

Lou …..

"Sure you can buy MS Word, but MS Office is only $150 more. So nobody buys Word."

"Sure you can buy Photoshop, but the CS Suite is only a couple hundred dollars more. So most new buyers probably get the whole suite."

Glad to hear that you don’t have a limited budget … πŸ™‚

Wendy
LM
Lou_M
Jan 10, 2004
Oh yeah, Wendy, my friends all call me Mr. MoneyBag$ πŸ™‚ Ha ha.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups πŸ”₯

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections