KH
Posted By
kat_hayes
Dec 9, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have an image that is 11.81 w X 7.875 h at 200 dpi.

I would like to print this as large as possible at a movie poster type size. What is the largest I can print this image while still retaining its high resolution attributes?

Thanks!

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

JZ
Joe_Zydeco
Dec 9, 2006
Kat, the short answer is that you cannot print it larger without sacrificing some quality. To get a feel for your options, take a look at what I wrote recently:
Joe Zydeco, "confused about resampling" #7, 4 Dec 2006 11:40 pm </cgi-bin/webx?14/6>.

You may want to make a test print to judge the result of your edits. After saving your master image, try resizing (Image>Image Size) a copy of it with Resample turned on. Then use the Marquee tool to select whatever portion of it that your printer can handle, and print the selection. View the print from a distance appropriate for a poster (probably about 5 feet).

After mulling over the arithmetic of resizing and resampling, the quality is ultimately a subjective thing. You may well find that 100 ppi, or even less, is perfectly acceptable, especially when you view a 36 x 24 print from three times the distance from which you would view a 12 x 8 print.

If any of that is not clear, consider that viewing a 10" TV from 4 feet is equivalent to viewing a 20" TV from 8 feet or a 40" TV from 16 feet. If you try to view the 40" model from 4 feet, it won’t look as sharp as did the 10" model from that distance.

Finally, erase "dpi" from your mind. That’s a printer term over which you have very little control. Keep things simple by thinking only of the number of pixels an image has in a given dimension, and how many of them you want to print in a given distance, i.e., pixels per inch (ppi).
G
grannysplayhouse
Dec 9, 2006
"PosterRazor" free at: <http://posterazor.sourceforge.net/> They say "The final size of the poster is theoretically unlimited. Let’s say it this way: it is less limited that the ink of your printer ;)"
I have made several large posters 28"X38" utilizing 16 pieces of 8.5X11 Photo paper with good results.. If you start with good quality, you get an excellent print.. (even close up!) the final image is in a PDF format for printing..
You might want to give it a try..
Granny
K
Kingdom
Dec 9, 2006
wrote in
news::

"PosterRazor" free at: <http://posterazor.sourceforge.net/> They say "The final size of the poster is theoretically unlimited. Let’s say it this way: it is less limited that the ink of your printer ;)" I have made several large posters 28"X38" utilizing 16 pieces of
8.5X11 Photo paper with good results.. If you start with good quality,
you get an excellent print.. (even close up!) the final image is in a PDF format for printing.. You might want to give it a try.. Granny

try this one too Photozoom
http://www.benvista.com/

———————————————————— ———— Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence.
———————————————————— ————
B
Bernie
Dec 9, 2006
The final size of the poster is theoretically unlimited.

Wrong, wrong, wrong!

If you want any kind of quality, the size of your poster is always limited by the number of pixels in your image. The OP is correct in asking her question.

You can print huge images, but you need a large enough file for it, or see lots of pixels.
JW
John_Waller
Dec 9, 2006
They say "The final size of the poster is theoretically unlimited

"They" are wrong.

Regards

John Waller
DM
Don_McCahill
Dec 9, 2006
theoretically unlimited

This does not mean that it is practically unlimited.
G
grannysplayhouse
Dec 10, 2006
My goodness, Of course you all are RIGHT!.. there is always going to be pixelation if you enlarge anything.. the amount of which is acceptable would be determined on the viewing distance just like the silver grains from my time.. or pictures made with rgb led lights..I was just offering a way to make huge posters on your own printer without outsourcing.. We are not all professionals and I think it is nice that I can do posters at home.. BUT, and a big but it is, you will have to have the patience to splice all those pages together.. after all it is just an enlargement of whatever you have to start with and whatever is acceptable is very subjective to each persons tastes.. I was just offering to share a poster maker that I found on the big Ol Web and quoted what was on their site..
Just to prove you are all correct in your responses I have included the following.. < http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=1nebY6xF6CQTKabi8f V4EhdWrnaTY>
B
Bernie
Dec 10, 2006
I was just offering a way to make huge posters on your own printer without outsourcing

Yes, but your post could have been misleading for the OP who was asking about how big a particular image could go. Obviously they’re concerned about the quality of the result.
G
grannysplayhouse
Dec 10, 2006
I feel thoroughly chastised and put properly back in my place as a true novice.. I shall leave well enough alone and not interfere with further posts.
Back to the blackboard now, writing 100 times "I shall not mislead the OP’s and will stick to the true intent of the thread"
I will continue to lurk here though, because I do learn a lot from this board.

Granny
JJ
John Joslin
Dec 10, 2006
You tell ’em Granny!
C
chrisjbirchall
Dec 10, 2006
I will continue to lurk here though

And post too, I hope!

Don’t be put off by having what you say "jumped on" occasionally. It has happened to us all.

In fact, the only bit that was wrong with your post really, was the bit that said (even close up!).

You have helped by providing a link to a product/service which might well be of use to others reading this (however flawed or over enthusiastic "their" claims might be)

Keep posting Granny. 😉

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections