How to print a large picture so that it extends on several sheets of paper?

DS
Posted By
Dusko_Savatovic
Oct 5, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m trying to print a large picture so that it extends on several sheets of paper (both in horizontal and vertical direction).
I googled a little, but I was directed to some third party programs and professional printers who do large posters.

Any pointers?

TIA

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups ๐Ÿ”ฅ

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

B
Bernie
Oct 5, 2006
PS does not have a tiling option when printing.

Place the image in InDesign and print from there.
S
stevent
Oct 5, 2006
Or Illustrator if you don’t have ID.
P
Phosphor
Oct 5, 2006
Have a look at the Photoshop script at the following link:

<http://urlx.org/adobe.com/a9182>
GD
george_dingwall
Oct 5, 2006
Hi Dusko,

Try this freeware app. It takes an image and breaks it up to print on a user defined number of pages, and then saves each part of the image as a separate page of a PDF file.

<http://posterazor.sourceforge.net/>

Hope this helps.
P
Phosphor
Oct 6, 2006
Oh, HEY!

Good one, George.

Dunno why I hadn’t thought to look around SourceForge.

Thanks.

๐Ÿ™‚
DS
Dusko_Savatovic
Oct 6, 2006
Thank you very much everyone for your replies. As usual, I’ll test all the proposed solutions to see which one will fit in best. In the meantime, my googling came with yet another result which I’d like to share with others. It is a freebie from Finland. It is called Big Picture by Teemu Mรคki-Patola and is available at
http://www.tml.tkk.fi/~tmakipat/thebigpicture/thebigpicture. html

Well, now that I have (excellent) answer(s), yet another idea came up :-). It would be nice that instead of printing straight to the printer the output could be saved as a series of jpeg’s. I did redirect output to Acrobat and ended with a pdf file, but jpegs would be nicer.

Any ideas? Thanks
P
Phosphor
Oct 6, 2006
"but jpegs would be nicer."

Care to explain why?
DS
Dusko_Savatovic
Oct 6, 2006
In line

"but jpegs would be nicer."
Also: GIFs, PNGS (because of transparencies), even layers in existing PSD.

Care to explain why?

Because I could then do some more tweaking before actualy printing pages. Smoothing jagged lines, removing blemishes that went unnoticed on small sized pictures…

JavaScript solution mentioned in this thread gives a lot of opportunities for tweaking.
P
Phosphor
Oct 6, 2006
"Smoothing jagged lines, removing blemishes that went unnoticed on small sized pictures…"

It would make more sense to create your full size image and inspect it carefully within Photoshop, and to make your corrections before splitting it into the tiled sections.

And the Photoshop format can provide any transparency attributes you want. Theres NO REASON WHATSOEVER to EVER print from a GIF formatted image.

Get all your prep work done, at final output size, then save as a PDF, then send it to the poster/tiling app.
T
TerryKing
Oct 6, 2006
wrote:
I’m trying to print a large picture so that it extends on several sheets of paper (both in horizontal and vertical direction).

Dusko,

I know there are other solutions, but after a few years of All This, I have found QIMAGE (www.ddisoftware.com) to be superior both for tiling large images, and printing excellent-looking large images from any type file. Qimage does a great job of fitting your image or images on one or more pages. It resamples, applies the best sharpening around, prints, and then leaves your original image untouched. And you can save and restore all your carefully set up jobs.

I don’t usually make these kind of recommendations, but after using PS for many years, the one other thing I wouldn’t want to be without is Qimage. I just hope Adobe doesn’t buy it and mess it up!

Regards, Terry King …On The Mediterranean in Carthage

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer ๐Ÿ”ฅ๐Ÿ”ฅ๐Ÿ”ฅ

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections