Posted By
Dave_Lefkoff
Jul 16, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Mac OSX

We’ve upgraded to CS3 and it has absorbed ImageReady which is most unfortunate. I use ImageReady to copy slices from one psd to another. I’ve searched quite a bit to see how to do this in CS3 but haven’t had any luck. Do you have any ideas?

I work on homepages that contain upwards of 30 slices. On every homepage (2-3+ a week) there is some content that can be reused and the slices need to stay in the same place in case there are changes done by a designer.

What I do in ImageReady CS2 is get the slices the correct dimensions for one homepage. Then I select all slices and copy. Then on a second homepage with no slices I am able to paste slices in to it so I wind up with two different psd files with the exact same slices done from copy/paste.

Now we have upgraded to CS3 and ImageReady is no more. I have tried to copy slices from one psd to another but when I do that it brings in the slice layer with it. I only need the slice transferred. I’m trying to avoid having to reslice homepages into 30 slices that I could easily do with a simple copy/paste.

Does that make sense? Any suggestions? I currently have CS2 (solely for ImageReady) and CS3 installed on a Mac Mini and they aren’t playing well together, I get lots of crashes and our IT guy thinks this is why.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

B
Buko
Jul 16, 2008
Are you using an Intel Mac because I’m using CS2 and CS3 with no problems.

When I use IRCS2 I use it with PSCS2 so I can jump back and forth between the two apps.
R
Ram
Jul 16, 2008
I can’t help you with slices as I don’t do web work, but I can tell you that I have Photoshop 7.0.1, 8, 9.0.2 and 10.0.1 installed on my machine with no problems whatsoever. Tell your IT guy to chase after your crashes somewhere else. 🙂

If you want to run two versions of Photoshop simultaneously, just launch the older version first, and make sure the scratch disks for each version are on different volumes.
R
Ram
Jul 16, 2008
Buko,

He says he’s on a Mac Mini. I have no idea if there are Intel Mac Minis or not. /
R
Ram
Jul 16, 2008
Dave,

To clarify further, I’m on Tiger. I can’t vouch for Photoshop running under Leopard.
B
Buko
Jul 16, 2008
there were both PPC & Intel Mac minis.
R
Ram
Jul 16, 2008
Thanks, Buko.
DL
Dave_Lefkoff
Jul 17, 2008
AG
Abby_Gengozian
Jul 17, 2008
Hi All,

I’m the one with the problem. Dave was so kind as to post it for me. I’m running a Mac Mini with 4GB of RAM and a Dual Core Intel Chip.

Abby
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 17, 2008
The Slice Tools are still available in Photoshop CS3.

Just Slice, Select the Slices you need with the Slice Select Tool, Copy and Paste into the other document.

If you still need Image Ready, you can always re-install CS2 (although you will have to un-install CS3 first; then install CS2; then re-install CS3).
DL
Dave_Lefkoff
Jul 18, 2008
Ann,
What you say works, but when I do that whatever content is in the slice goes with it into the other psd. I then have to delete the content. I just want to copy the slice from one psd file to the other psd file without the content being copied from one file to the other. Is this possible?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections