SH
Posted By
Scott_Hinkle
Feb 1, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Due to financial constraints I ended up getting a 24" iMac 2.16/250, etc. I would like to know what people recommend to make it as much of a Photoshop CS3 (when it’s released) powerhouse as it can be.

Should I put 2 gigs of RAM into it or go for the 3?
Would it benefit from one or multiple Fire Wire 800 external drives (i. e. for scratch disk, image files (separated from the OS/Program disk), etc.)?
How would you set it up (again kind of along the previous question… should I have the image files on a separate disk from the OS and the application and should the app be separated from the OS, etc.)?

Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Scott

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

WG
Welles_Goodrich
Feb 1, 2007
If you can afford the 3GB RAM go for it! Two will be adequate but if you work on files over 100mb regularly go for three mb. The way OS X works, you would be wise to have a minimum of a 320GB hard drive installed. Put your OS on the internal and just use the setup which is implied by the operating system. Put applications in the Applications folder, documents in the Documents folder, Pictures in the Pictures folder etc. Don’t split them up on different drives.

Get an external FireWire drive with a 500GB hard drive in it. Partition that one into two. Make your first partition a scratch disk of a generous 200GB and the remainder a second volume for backup. Use SuperDuper or some other backup utility and backup regularly (even nightly if you have mission critical work) and definitely backup before any significant update to the operating system, even the security updates. That would be my strategy.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections