TM
Posted By
Taryn_Merrick
Sep 19, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have just purchased a new intel iMac and am considering getting Photoshop. I had previously been using Photoshop Elements. I am curious if there are any users that are happy with the overall performance on intel Macs, specifically iMacs. Mine has a 2.33 processor and 2 gigs of ram so I am fairly confident I will have the power to run the program.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

R
Ram
Sep 20, 2006
CS2 will run in Rosetta emulation on a Mac-Intel machine. CS3, when released next year, will run natively.

Get more RAM if your machine will take it. Max it out with RAM.
TM
Taryn_Merrick
Sep 20, 2006
Hi Ramon,

Do you run the adobe cs applications under mac intel? The one I currently have is GoLive CS2. Photoshop was one I was considering purchasing, but I guess I will wait…
R
Ram
Sep 20, 2006
No, Taryn. My Mac is not an Intel one.
C
Cindy
Sep 20, 2006
Taryn, there are a number of people who run Photoshop on an Intel Mac. Hopefully you will get more feedback. You might want to go to the Apple forums if you do not get enough response here to that specific question.
AW
Allen_Wicks
Sep 21, 2006
I have just purchased a new intel iMac and am considering getting Photoshop. I had previously been using Photoshop Elements.

PSCS2 is expensive enough that you should evaluate your need to upgrade from Elements before spending; also PSCS3 will be out in 7 months or so which you will for sure want. Often the best bet is to buy a "Suite" upgrade.

I am curious if there are any users that are happy with the overall performance on intel Macs

Generally folks report acceptable results running PSCS2 on MacBook Pros and above.
TM
Taryn_Merrick
Sep 21, 2006
Thank you to all who replied. I am mulling things over but because of cost and timing I am leaning towards getting the latest version of Elements and using it until the universal binary version of PS comes out…
C
Cindy
Sep 21, 2006
That sounds like the best plan Taryn.
JK
Jack_Kelley
Sep 21, 2006
Taryn,

I can’t tell you about the iMac but I’ve been running CS2 (only Bridge and Photoshop so far) for about a week now on a 3.0 GHz Mac Pro with 4GB RAM. It seems to run a little faster than it did on my 1.67 GHz PowerBook G4 with 2GB RAM. Which is fast enough for me. But I’m not using it all day every day. So speed is less critical to me than it may be to you.

What’s the math of your choices? Would CS2 now plus an upgrade to CS3 next year cost you less or more than Elements now plus CS3 next year? Or are you talking about just upgrading Elements now versus buying it outright?
TM
Taryn_Merrick
Sep 22, 2006
Thanks to all of you 🙂 I appreciate all the feedback. I think I am going to get a fresh copy of PS Elements and install on my new iMac vs. PSCS2. I will wait for the UB version of PS next year and take the plunge then.

I am active on the Apple forums and heard it is much better to install clean copies of apps than to migrate them. PSE is priced at the level where I would consider doing that, so I am about 98% sure now!

I currently use PS Elements 2 and so I will opt for a fresh copy of the latest to install…
P
PShock
Sep 22, 2006
I am active on the Apple forums and heard it is much better to install clean copies of apps than to migrate them.

Yes, do not migrate applications. Migrating applications is a sure-fire way to have problems. Your plan to upgrade Elements instead of purchasing PS now is a sound choice, IMO.

FWIW – I’m running the CS2 Suite on a Mac Pro 2.66 and haven’t experienced any problems. Photoshop actually runs quite a bit faster than on my old DP 1GHz G4.

Have fun …

-phil
AR
alan_ruta
Sep 22, 2006
I can’t possibly give a percentage of ppl. that have had problems with a migration vs. clean install–it would be great info to have.

That being said I’ve migrated about 5 times without a single hitch that I’m aware of. The though if reinstall all the software I have and digging out serial numbers and activation codes–just thinking about it i s m a k i n g m e sooooh tired!.

alan
TM
Taryn_Merrick
Sep 22, 2006
Yes, I am not looking forward to re-installing everything, OR doing without in some cases until univ. binary editions come out…….I wish the hardware and software companies could orchestrate and integrate all their new releases 🙂

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections