HELP: all black and white with certain objects in color!

JM
Posted By
jennifer.mittge
Jan 10, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
ok, so i have adobe photoshop on my brand new mac desktop computer and cannot, for the life of me, figure out how to take a color image and make it all black and white except for a small object, that i want to remain in color. can anyone help please? thank you!

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

DR
Donald_Reese
Jan 11, 2007
Create a hue/saturation adjustment layer,slide the saturation to zero and then hit the b-key and brush in the areas you want color.
KH
Kath_Howard3
Jan 12, 2007
Or make a snapshot, desaturate and paint the area back in with the history brush.
R
Ram
Jan 12, 2007
Kath,

Donald’s instructions have the same effect but faster. After creating the desaturated layer, hitting the b-key automatically selects the History Brush and targets the original Open layer, without the need for a snapshot.
KH
Kath_Howard3
Jan 12, 2007
Thank you, learn something every day 🙂
KS
katie_schumack
Jan 12, 2007
The technique that Donald describes uses a layer mask to conceal a portion of the hue-saturation adjustment layer. By using an adjustment layer, you preserve the original pixel data of the image, and can go back and remove or alter the effect as long as you don’t flatten or merge those layers.
R
Ram
Jan 12, 2007
Katie,

Yes, that’s a very important distinction. Thanks for the correction.

In any event, that technique described by Donald is the preferred one for me, precisely for the reasons you state.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections