GF
Posted By
Gillian_Frances_Keeley
Jan 7, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello, I’m depressed over an interpolation issue.

I’m working on a brochure for a client. Their brief was ‘as cost effective as poss’ and they left a very brisk lead time.

Some of the images they supplied were low resolution screenshots taken from a monitor. I advised my client that the print scale would be restricted by resolution constraints.

My spec for supplied images is 300ppi at 100% print scale. The first thing I do with all supplied images is rescale without resampling.

At 100%, these screenshots looked sweet enough in the layout – the size of a large postage stamp, still they weren’t legible.

I’ve never offered to interpolate images in the past, partly because I haven’t needed to, and partly because I’m aware that this will degrade the image. I don’t want to take the risk.

Still if ever there was a case for it, this was. So I experimented by scaling the images to 150% of the print scale, resampling to 300ppi.

I explained that resampling might be an option, advised the client of the risk of degrading the image and presented a visual of the option. I said that the decision to go with an interpolated image must lie with him, because I didn’t want to take it.

He wanted the bigger images, but wouldn’t take responsibility for the decision. I can understand this, but I wasn’t prepared to make it myself. Now we are bothe cheesed off, him because he hasn’t got what he wanted and me because I’ve put in a load of free time in an attempt to help which has caused nothing but problems.

How should I have handled this? Have I been unprofessional? If I produce a 720dpi inket proof of my interpolated image, how far can I trust it as representation of the offset litho printed image? Are then any codes or calculations I can use as a guideline for safe interpolation of images to suit offset litho or digital output?

I’d welcome any advice and support. I think I’ve probably screwed up, but I was just doing my best to help my client. Sorrowfully, Gill.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

R
Ram
Jan 8, 2007
Ooooooops! [Duplicate thread] Deleted by poster.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections