Posted By
B._McLaughlin
Apr 10, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello all,
When I try to open PhotoShop CS I get this message “ Could not complete your request because of missing or invalid personalization information”.

Any idea what to do about it?
PS CS is running on an iBook with OS 10.2.8. It had been working fine. The iBook had to go back to Apple to be repaired. When it came back everything had been wiped off the hard drive, so I had to reinstall all the CS software. I also run PS 7 on the machine and that is working fine as is all the other software, including Illustrator CS.

Thanks-
Brian

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

CC
Chris_Cox
Apr 12, 2004
You need to reinstall – something has corrupted the files after your previous install.
P
progress
Apr 13, 2004
chris,,,this seems to be a common problem, does the installer verify files when they are installed…just seems wierd all these install errors these days.
B
B._McLaughlin
Apr 13, 2004
I was afraid of that.
Can I just install PS or do I have to reinstall the entire CS package….even though other programs are OK?
And-
Is there an unistall that will make sure that all the files are wiped off the hard drive and not left taking up space?

Thanks
Brian
CC
Chris_Cox
Apr 13, 2004
Brian – You should be able to install just PS. Yes, the installer tries to verify the files, but there’s always other things that can go wrong.

Progress – it’s an ongoing problem: sometimes from corrupt installs, sometimes from later file corruption, sometimes from "less than legitimate" installs.
B
B._McLaughlin
Apr 13, 2004
Thanks- I will give reinstalling just PS a try.

Brian
B
B._McLaughlin
Apr 13, 2004
The reinstall did not work. !?!
I still get the same message –“Could not complete your request because of missing or invalid personalization information.”
I put in the Adobe Creative Suite CD, selected custom install, selected PS only. After the install was complete, I restarted the machine.

BTW – ImageReady, Illustrator, Acrobat, and GoLive all open just fine. It is just a PS issue. Brief history-
It is on an iBook. When I first installed it everything worked fine. The iBook had to be sent back to Apple and have it’s “sleep module” replaced. The HD was wiped clean and the OS reinstalled. When I got it back I reinstalled all the software. I do not remember if I tested PS after this or not (I teach a class that uses PS 7 at the moment). So I do not know whether PS CS worked after getting it back from Apple or not.

What can I do to get PS up and going?

Thanks,
Brian
CC
Chris_Cox
Apr 13, 2004
The reinstall should have done it.

Did you try deleting the existing copy of Photoshop before reinstalling?
B
B._McLaughlin
Apr 14, 2004
Yes. I threw out the PS folder from applications.

Brian
CC
Chris_Cox
Apr 14, 2004
Then I don’t know what could be going wrong.

You probably should call Adobe Customer Support.
M
MarkATS
Apr 14, 2004

1. Control+Click the Adobe Photoshop CS application file within the Applications > Photoshop CS folder and select "Show package contents".
2. Open the Contents folder, then open the Resources folder.
3. Locate the USERREG file in the Resources folder, and drag it to the desktop. Keep the Resources folder open.
4. Control+Click the Adobe ImageReady CS application file within the Applications > Photoshop CS folder and select "Show package contents".
5. Open the Contents folder, then open the Resources folder.
6. Locate the USERREG file in the Resources folder, and copy it to the Resources folder for Photoshop.
7. Launch Photoshop, and launch ImageReady to be sure the file was copied to Photoshop.
CC
Chris_Cox
Apr 15, 2004
(as Mark pastes in the script that I couldn’t find on my machine….)
B
B._McLaughlin
Apr 15, 2004
Still nothing….

Well followed the above directions.
And it still gives me the same error message when I go to launch PS. IR still works, so at least I did not go backwards.

Any other ideas?
I tried calling in yesturday but everyone was in meetings.

Brian
M
MarkATS
Apr 15, 2004
Copying the userreg file from the IR package to the PS Package should work 100 percent of the time… I’m suprised it’s not working for you.
B
B._McLaughlin
Apr 15, 2004
I just tried it again. Still no good.

I found the userreg doc in the PS resources folder – pulled it out onto the desketop. Found the usereg in the IR resource folder – option dragged(copied) it into the resources folder of PS.

This time I restarted the iBook.

I still get the same message.

Now I feel responsible for bringing down the 100 percent average.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks,
Brian
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Apr 15, 2004
You are trashing all of your Photoshop prefs. and Repairing Permissions before re-installing and going through these manoeuvres?
B
B._McLaughlin
Apr 15, 2004
I go into my home>libray>prefs folder – I do not find a PS CS settings folder. There is one for Illustrator CS, IR CS, Acrobat, and InDesign. There is a folder for Adobe. In this one is a folder for GoLive and "Workflow".

Gee this seems odd!?

Brian
M
MarkATS
Apr 15, 2004
If Photoshop never launches, there won’t be any prefs…

Same problem if you log in under a different user account?

want to email me you userreg file from the Photoshop package?
B
B._McLaughlin
Apr 15, 2004
Yes I do have the same problem if I use a different user (I had tried that right off).

I will email you the file…but…how do I email you?

Brian
M
MarkATS
Apr 15, 2004
mhiers at adobe dot com
CG
Carlos_Garro
May 11, 2004
Does somebody resolves the "Could not complete your request because of missing or invalid personalization information" problem…. because I can’t
Please help me!!!!
RK
Rhonda_Kenny
May 20, 2004
I am having the same problem. I installed Creative Suite Premium on a G4 OS 10.2.8. All applications open except Adobe Photoshop CS. I have tried copying the Image Ready userreg file to the Photoshop Resources folder but get the same message when starting Photoshop. I have also tried repairing disk permissions as instructed on the Adobe website for troubleshooting install problems. I also tried installing under another user name and installing in safeboot mode. I still get the same error message when opening the application. Does anybody have any other suggestions on what do do about this problem? I am waiting to hear back from Adobe.

Rhonda
PG
Per_Ganz
May 21, 2004
Try this: Go to the Imageready folder, ctrl-click on the IR icon, choose "open package content", go to contents/resources and copy the userreg file into the same location in the Photoshop package contents. then repeat the operation but this time go to contents/resources/asn and copt the ps.sif file in the same location in the Photoshop package contents. then try to launch PS.
hope this helps,
Ralf

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections