LC
Posted By
luke_copping
Aug 3, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I hope I am not missing an old thread on this one, but am a little panicked against a deadline and need advice

Today I went to crop an image and received a message that the action could not be completed because the scratch disks are full.

I am running Photoshop CS on a G4 powerbook, 1 gig of RAM and over 15 gigs of hard disk space.

Running OS X Panther

the simplest operations are taking forever if they even work at all. Hoping I can work this out and meet my deadline

any help appreciated

Luke

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

LC
luke_copping
Aug 3, 2004
In addition to my previous post, oddly enough this only happenes with small files.

I tried cropiing a 8.5 x 11 300 PPI image and it worked like lightening,

however I tried it on an 8.5 x 11 at 72 ppi image for the web project I am working on, and Was notfied that the scratch was full again.
R
Ram
Aug 3, 2004
Luke,

Though 15GB may sound like a lot of available disk space, it may not be enough under some circumstances. If the overall capacity of the disk is 100GB or more, remember that once the disk gets to be 85% full, it’s time to start making more space available by transferring files to other media or get a larger drive. Another possibility is that the scratch disk files may not be getting deleted for some reason.

Try deleting all caches (with Cocktail or otherwise). Quit Photoshop and restart your computer.

Finally, also try Repairing Permissions (with Apple’s Disk Utility) BEFORE and AFTER any system upgrade as well as BEFORE and AFTER installing any software that uses an installer.

I know it sounds like OS X voodoo, and it is; but it fixes and prevents a bunch of problems.

Additionally, if your machine does not run 24/7 so that it runs the daily, weekly and monthly Cron Scripts in the middle of the night as intended, run Cocktail (shareware) as well.
GM
Graeme_Mair
Aug 3, 2004
Is the file you are working on very big? If it is you will need lots of free space.

MacJanitor is another app that runs Cron tasks which has helped solve some weird problems for me.

Do you have another hard disk (with more space) that you could use as a temporary scratch disk. To change which scratch disk Photoshop uses go into the Preferences and select a different disk.

Hope this helps

Graeme
DF
Dan_Futoran
Aug 4, 2004
I have a friend who called me this morning. He can’t even open Photoshop (OX X.2) without getting this message. Will he need to make room on a HD, fix permissions, etc., before even trying to run the program?
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Aug 4, 2004
Dan:

Yes.

He should have Repaired Permissions both before AND after installing Photoshop. He should do that now—but he may have to re-install Photoshop.

Also, he would be well advised to upgrade to Panther 10.3.4.
J
JeffN
Aug 5, 2004
Additionally, if your machine does not run 24/7 so that it runs the daily, weekly and monthly Cron Scripts in the middle of the night as intended, run Cocktail (shareware) as well

Could you explain what are "Cron Scripts" and their purpose?, and what does Cocktail do?
R
Ram
Aug 5, 2004
Cron Scripts are maintenance routines that are programmed to run in the middle of the night. Some of them are programmed to run daily, others weekly or monthly.

Cocktail can run those scripts on demand plus a lot of other stuff like clear caches, prebind the system, etc. Look for it at <http://www.versiontracker.com> and download it in order to read the documentation in detail.
J
JeffN
Aug 5, 2004
Thanks, I’ll check it out

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections