GB
Posted By
Gregory_Benson
Dec 15, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I recently acquired a second Mac G5 so that two people could edit raw files at the same time. I have the two Mac G5s networked together via a gigabit ethernet network. I have registered copies of Photoshop CS 2 and Bridge installed on both machines. One is my main computer and is faster and has all of my image files on its internal hard drives. I want to have an assistant use the Bridge on the second computer to view and edit raw files on the main computer.

I can get Bridge to view and rank and adjust raw files, but when I open a file in Photoshop and try to save it over the network I get an OS X message that says the file is locked. It’s odd to get a file locked message for a file I am saving for the first time. At first I thought this was an OS X disk permissions issue, but in the Finder I am able to copy and delete files without any problems.

Researching the issue further, I discovered that for Macintosh Photoshop CS2 Adobe does not recommend opening and saving files over a network. Instead, they recommend copying the files from computer A to computer B so that all saves are to local drives. They recommend the use of Version Cue, but I understand that Version Cue does not work well with OS 10.4.
<http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/332534.html>

I find this inability to have a second computer open and save over a network to be a real hindrance in having a central organized file structure for all current jobs.

Other than copying from one computer to another and copying back, does anyone have a real world alternative?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

CC
Chris_Cox
Dec 15, 2006
Don’t save over the network.

And complain to Apple about the problems with saving over a network.
B
Buko
Dec 15, 2006
Change the permissions on the folder the images are in.

this is to save you from destroying your originals.

Make sure you have these images burned to CD/DVD then change the permissions
GB
Gregory_Benson
Dec 15, 2006
Don’t save over the network. And complain to Apple about the problems with saving over a network.

Saving over an Apple OS X network isn’t the problem. I open, use and save files over my network all of the time. The problem is Photoshop’s lack of support for saving over a network.

Change the permissions on the folder the images are in.

Can you be more specific? I have backups for my original image files. I want to be able to write changes to the .xmp files. And I want to be able to save .psd files to the other computer.
R
Ram
Dec 15, 2006
Gregory,

It has often been explained that Photoshop does not know or care whether a file is being saved locally or across a network. Photoshop does exactly the same in both instances,

Problems arise when the network is less than ideally set up. And that’s where only your network administrator can supply support.
CC
Chris_Cox
Dec 15, 2006
Gregory – Photoshop does as much as it can to save correctly over a network. The problem is the network, the server, and the OS APIs that work correctly for saving locally, but incorrectly for saving to a server.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections