AR
Posted By
Anne_Rigsby
Nov 10, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
It’s amazing what one little phrase can mean in the learning process. Someone on this forum who was trying to help me mentioned that I would find whatever I was looking for at such and such location on the screen. The SCREEN. What a phenomenal source of information. Just look at the screen! I was so worried about what I thought I was missing, I was virtually missing everything. Resolutions: Slow down, cultivate patience, try to ask clearer more specific questions. So far, every message I’ve received has helped in one way or another. Also resolved to spend 30 minutes daily working in Elements–an exercise in learning to focus if nothing else. Thanks for all the help in changing frustration to resolve. Also resolved to print a good-looking page with multiple photos. New suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, Anne

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

EW
Ed_Wurster
Nov 10, 2003
wrote…
Also resolved to print a good-looking page with multiple photos. New suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, Anne

This forum has the most tolerant and helpful persons you’ll meet.

I have taught many software topics, and have trained one-on-one. The interface you are looking at is very complex, and powerful. Don’t feel obliged to learn it all in one lifetime.

The menu command you are looking for is File > Create Photomerge…

Pick a few files and start experimenting.

Photomerge can be used to splice pictures together, as in making a panorama. But it also can be used to create a montage.

At first, Photomerge tries to splice the pictures together. You can rearrange the individual files, and Photomerge will flatten everything to one layer. I wish it didn’t do that.

If you don’t like the results, keep the Photomerge file, and go on from there. Your canvas is probably the right size, and you can create new layers, or copy from another open file.

Ed
LM
Lou_M
Nov 10, 2003
Hi, Anne. Glad you’re getting a handle on things. Elements has a huge learning curve. A very rewarding one, but it’s huge nonetheless. This forum has been a great help for me, as well as a couple of good books. One for don’t-give-me-the-details-just-tell-me-how-to-get-it-done (Kelby’s book) and one for give-me-all-the-theory-so-I-can-get-creative-myself (Lynch’s book).
BH
Beth_Haney
Nov 10, 2003
Anne, when you say you want to print a good looking page with multiple photos…

Ed is right, and Photomerge can be used to create collages, but an alternate method is to create your own manually. I’ve used this method a number of time and like it because you can edit specific layers (individual pictures) more easily than when you use Photomerge.

Choose the pictures you want to place together, and make sure they’re all the same resolution. Any cropping is best done at this point, too, but you can still do some resizing later if you need to.

Create a new blank canvas (Edit>New), set it to either a white/transparent background or pick a background color first and use that.

Drag and drop each picture you want on the canvas to the new one. You can then move them around, resize them, or do other editing on each picture by selecting it from the Layers palette.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections