Posted By
Xeon
Dec 1, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi! 🙂

What is the Select > Feather tool used for?(what effects it has etc.)

From what I know, this tool is the same as the Select > Contract tool, the only difference being it does not "smoothen" the image.

Thanks,
Xeon! 😉

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

HP
Helen_Polson
Dec 1, 2003
Feathering softens the edges of your selection. Here’s how to test it… make a new document, any size, and fill with any colour. Draw a shape, any shape, using one of the marquee tools to select an area of the colour. Then press "delete"- you’ll find the deleted section has a sharp edge. Now go back and this time feather the selection before deleting- you’ll see a softer edge to the shape. There are also examples of this in the online help with might make things a bit clearer for you. Hope that helps!
CW
Colin_Walls
Dec 1, 2003
If you want to see the soft edge clearly, swap to QuickMask mode. You will see how it fades gradually.
HP
Helen_Polson
Dec 1, 2003
Good point Colin 🙂
X
Xeon
Dec 2, 2003
Thanks guys! Well, I tried Helen’s suggestion, but after I deleted the selection away(I drew a circle shape with the ellipse marquee), the shape is smooth, regardless of whether I use the Feather tool or not. :):p
DM
dave_milbut
Dec 3, 2003
it’s not a "feather tool" it’s an action that feathers the tool. and it’s not immediate (that is you can’t apply it to a selection after the fact).

set feather to 0. make a selection. copy & paste. nice and sharp right? now set feather to 10. copy and paste again. see?
CW
Colin_Walls
Dec 3, 2003
it’s not immediate (that is you can’t apply it to a selection after the fact).

This is why I like to use masks instead of selections. You can define them with a sharp edge and then "feather" by applying Gaussian Blur filter to the mask.
DM
dave_milbut
Dec 3, 2003
colin,

This is why I like to use masks instead of selections. You can define them with a sharp edge and then "feather" by applying Gaussian Blur filter to the mask.

me too. also after you blur, you can add levels to the mask to "tighten" or "loosen" the feather. (thanks, jason & chris!)

dave

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections