M*
Posted By
Malcolm_*_Oldroyd
May 15, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I was "asked" by the Photoshop application to re install Photoshop 7 because a certain file was missing. Subsequent to that I am having constant problems with a dialog box that reads" Disk error -36 occurred while reading or writing to a scratch disk. Sorry, but this error is unrecoverable." I have to "save" every minute or so to keep my work!
I have three HDs in my G3-400 with maximum RAM and plenty of file space and I did have the Application on one of the SCSI drive, but the File was on an ATA drive. Thinking this might be the cause, I switched the File to the SCSI drive containing the Application — results are the same.
I have also run DiskWarrior and everything was declared okay. Can anyone please make suggestions?
thanks,
M

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

NK
Neil_Keller
May 15, 2004
Malcolm,

This may not be good news. A -36 error means you have an input/output problem. The data is not getting through reliably. You have already lost data.

It could be a pinched cable or loose cable connections to your drive (check both ends) or it could be a failing drive. Back up everything. Now. And do a process of elimination to see where the problem lies. This condition will not improve or disappear by itself.

Photoshop is a tough test on any computer system. Where you may be able to work in complete innocence with small Word files, Photoshop files are going to call it as it is.

Neil
M*
Malcolm_*_Oldroyd
May 17, 2004
Thanks Neil:
This was a sudden problem. I had just added an Epson 4870 scanner and had scanned a very high resolution photograph and was working with it. The problem became so acute, that I scanned at 300dpi and had the same results. I had done nothing internal to the computer except install a new ATA HD some weeks ago. RAM is 1.5GB and has been for three years and I have lots of HD space A new problem is upon opening Photoshop, it very quickly "unexpectedly quits." I also have a problem with freezing of the application. However, I am going to work with your advice. By the way Apple Mail is quitting acutely upon opening. I am running updated Panther.
Malcolm
GB
g_ballard
May 17, 2004
I’m not so sure disk error alerts are all about defective harddrives, hardware.

Bad Blocks (many times repairable with a ZeroWrite), bad install, flaky drivers, bad Ram are also suspects.

I would MELTDOWN and identify the root problem before I started writing off hardware…

g ballard "Damaged Files – Desperate for Help!" 4/30/04 7:44pm </cgi-bin/webx?13/25>
NK
Neil_Keller
May 17, 2004
I had done nothing internal to the computer except install a new ATA HD some weeks ago.

This could be your culprit. Are you using this new drive in your Photoshop workflow? What if you cut it out of the loop? Have you diagnosed the integrity of this new drive? Have you checked the connections (both ends of the power and signal cables) for damage or loose fit? Have you checked proper termination for this drive?

Neil
M*
Malcolm_*_Oldroyd
May 17, 2004
Hi Neil & g ballard: Thanks for the replies.
It appears that all cables,connections,cards and RAM etc. are well engaged/seated.

It seems, from what I have been told ,and found on the web, that error -36 is an I/O File error –how is this fixed, and how does one identify the file — is it a Mac or a Photoshop file?
M
R
Ram
May 18, 2004
an I/O File error

That stands for input/output (as had been pointed out by Neil) and it can cover a lot of ground. Most likely a hard drive problem, but it can be any of the things mentioned here previously by both Neil and G Ballard.

It does not refer to any one particular file. It simply means there are input/output errors when trying to read or write files.

How much is "a lot of disk space"? What are your Memory settings for Photoshop (in Photoshop’s preferences)?
M*
Malcolm_*_Oldroyd
May 26, 2004
Ramón, thanks for your comments:
You raise interesting points. I have a 120GB drive with a start up 6GB partition for OSx.3.3 that has 1.55GB free. The Data partition is 108GB with 96.7GB free. However, I had the Photoshop application on the 6GB partition when I first got the -36 error; I reasoned that the scratch disk was the 1.55GB free section, so I moved the Application and the files to the Data partition with the same results.
I also assumed that OSX automatically dedicated the amount of memory needed for any OSX application. However, following your advice I looked at the preferences and found that Cache level was "4" and memory available was 685MB and Usage was "50%. I will change Cache to "6" and Usage to "60%." More interestingly I found under "Plug-ins and Scratch Disk" that the 6GB partition was designated as the first scratch disk! I will change this to the Data Drive (96GB free) and see if this solves the problem.
Again thanks for your insight.

M
P
PShock
May 26, 2004
This is a B/W G3, right? If yes, is it a rev.1 or rev.2 machine? Revision 1 machines had data corruption problems with more than one ATA drive installed in the chain. (Even if you ditch the 6GB drive and replace it with the new one, data corruption can still occur.) The solution is to buy a third party, ATA PCI card and run the new drive from that.

Check the 2nd and 3rd topics on the following page to learn how to determine which rev. machine you have: (if the IDE chip is marked other than "402", you have a rev.1 machine)

< http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/G3-ZONE/yosemite/newfeatures.html>

ATA card:
< http://eshop.macsales.com/Catalog_Item.cfm?ID=4797&Item= STITAT133>

-phil
R
Ram
May 26, 2004
Malcolm,

I would leave the Cache Level at 4.
M*
Malcolm_*_Oldroyd
May 26, 2004
Phil, thank you for your information. Yes you are right I had determined some time ago that the G3 IS rev. 1, however, I had never heard of this "corruption" issue. I will check your link. My set up is as follows:
a) 18GB internal SCSI drive partitioned for OSX 10.2.6 and OS 9.2.2
b) 18GB internal SCSI drive with two data partitions
c) 120GB internal ATA drive 6GB partition for OSX 10.3.3 Remaining partition for files In your opinion is this a "corruption" set up since there is only one ATA in the chain? Thanks
M
Note to Ramón: Thanks for the Cache advice– I will act on it M
P
PShock
May 26, 2004
In your opinion is this a "corruption" set up since there is only one ATA in the chain?

It very well could be. I once helped a buddy with the same machine as yours install a new drive. I too thought the problem only happened when two drives were installed – and since he could live without the original 6gb disk, I told him he probably get away with not buying an ATA card. No such luck – data corruption up the wazoo. After buying and installing an ATA card, the problems vanished. Of course, YMMV.

I don’t know what you have installed in the way of applications but 6 GB is really too small for 10.3.3, IMO. A (streamlined) OS install by itself takes about 1.5 GB. That leaves 4.5 gigs for any apps AND OSX’s swap space. Throw a little fragmentation into the mix and you could have all sorts of problems. I’d go with at least a 20GB partition.

-phil
M*
Malcolm_*_Oldroyd
Jun 12, 2004
To you fine people who offered suggestions earlier:
I still have this annoying problem of "error -36." Before buying an ATA card , I tried disconnecting the power source from the two internal SCSI hard drives, leaving only the partitioned ATA hard drive that holds OS 10.3.3 and the scratch disk powered. I also disconnected an external hard drive from the SCSI port. I STILL have the same problem! Is it really a hardware problem or a PotoShop problem? What is the theory behind the suggestion that a separate ATA card solves the problem? I would hate to spend that money on a card for a G3-400 (rev 1) and then find it doesn’t work.

Has anyone run ito this error -36 with Photoshop and a G4 1GHz DP running OE ATA drives?
SW
Scott_Weichert
Jun 12, 2004
(Sorry didn’t read the entire thread) The rev1 Blue & White G3 has a KNOWN issue if you change hard drives that causes corruption. It’s a 99% possiblity that is your problem. I had a rev 1 B&W G3 that experienced the issue. The PCI ATA card fixed it entirely. It’s not Photoshop it’s a known issue with your hardware.
GB
g_ballard
Jun 12, 2004
The -36 with Photoshop followed you to a G4 1GHz DP running OE ATA drives?
R
Ram
Jun 12, 2004
Malcolm,

I have no idea what effect cutting off the power to the two internal SCSI drives but leaving them connected to the SCSI card (or the MB built-in SCSI, as the case may be) has or may have –I’ve never done it or heard of it. But if they were external SCSI drive and you just unplugged the power and left them in the SCSI chain would certainly be asking for BIG trouble.

To follow up on G Ballard’s post, my interpretation of your post is that you are still running the SCSI drive and have not bought an ATA card.
M*
Malcolm_*_Oldroyd
Jun 12, 2004
Gentlemen, what a fantastic response, and so quickly!

Since error -36 appear to be a KNOWN issue I will very likely get a card next week.

I have not yet run Photoshop on my G4 — I was afraid to in case I got two machines screwed up!

Under my powered down "test," the SCSI card’s only connection is through the Slot in which it resides.

Thanks for your help
Malcolm
R
Ram
Jun 12, 2004
Under my powered down "test," the SCSI card’s only connection is through the Slot in which it resides.

Yes, that is how I had imagined them to be. Bad idea.
M*
Malcolm_*_Oldroyd
Jun 13, 2004
Hello Scott:
Forgive my ignorance, but are PCI ATA cards platform-specific, or are Mac & PC ATA cards interchangeable?
Malcolm
P
PShock
Jun 13, 2004
… are Mac & PC ATA cards interchangeable?

Nope.
M*
Malcolm_*_Oldroyd
Jun 15, 2004
I have a Macintosh G3-400MHz with two 18 GB SCSI internal drives. I recently added a Maxtor Diamond Plus 9 120GB ATA/133 internal drive.

Now I have chronic crashes and freezes due to "error -36, an I/O problem, (mainly on Photoshop 7.0, but also on other applications); "…failure in reading or writing to Scratch Disk…"
I have been told that this is a KNOWN issue with the B&W G3 revision 1 when installing one or more ATA internal drives, and that the solution is to install a separate controller. SIIG has advised me that their card is not compatible with my system, but other manufacturer’ specs read almost the same as SIIG’s! I have three questions:

1. Does anyone know of any controllers compatible with my system, outlined above, OS X 10.3.4 (Panther) in a "domestic setup networked with a router?
2. Which card would be recommended to use with a 120GB and/or a 137GB internal drive
3. Is there anything I need to be aware of in the installation/operation — any problems
anticipated?
Perhaps Scott can help me since he resolved such a problem Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.
Malcolm

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections