AR
Posted By
Anne_Rigsby
Oct 29, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Thanks, Beth and Ray. I’m still frustrated but less so simply because you took the time to answer me. Thank you so much. Still haven’t figured out the palettes thing, but am getting there. Next question: When I "save as" I usually give the file a name that means something to me. Everything seems to work but when I try to find that file again, I can’t. Also, after I’ve downloaded several images from my camera, is there a way to save them all? Am I too far ahead of myself? Trying to plow through the user quide is hard when I can’t keep an image I want to work on in front of me. Thanks again for your time. Thanks to anyone who can help. Anne

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

BH
Beth_Haney
Oct 29, 2003
Anne, when you get the dialog box after choosing Save As, there’s a display near the top that shows you which folder on your hard drive is currently open, and that’s also where the newly converted image will go, too, unless you change the location. While you have the Save As dialog box open, you need to pay close attention to what that says and scroll through to a different folder if you don’t want your new image to wind up in the default one. I’ve "lost" images more than once myself by forgetting to put something where I meant for it to be. It’s us that’s messing up, though! Unfortunately.

As to your second question, I’m not quite sure what you’re asking. When you download images from your camera to your computer, you are saving them. Are you asking about where they’re going and how to control that, or ???
JH
Jim_Hess
Oct 29, 2003
I’m not sure this will answer your question, but I will give it a try. I always download all of my pictures from my camera before I ever start working on them. I don’t use Photoshop Elements to do this. I don’t know what kind of camera you have, but most cameras include software that will assist you in downloading your pictures. Personally, I use the free software that is available from Ofoto. I won’t go into the details as to why I use it, but it works very well with my routine. When you use the "Save As" option, make sure you pay attention to the name of the folder where the picture is going to be saved. I usually like to create a new folder within the folder where I saved the downloaded pictures, and I put all of my edited photos within this additional folder. Then, you should be able to locate them with your file browser.
RR
Raymond Robillard
Oct 29, 2003
Anne,

I would suggest you get a book on Elements, or perhaps join an on-line class. I know of a class that would get you started in no time. As for books, the ones I have are not exactly "from ground up", so surely some people here could suggest good books on the subject. The one comming to my mind is Photoshop Elements Solutions (either the version 1 or 2). Surely, there are other good books.

Ray
SR
Schraven_Robert
Oct 29, 2003
Beth,

When I transfer images from my camera to my computer they get saved in a temporary file. I can see that file as I am in the "explorer-window". There I can see the file filling up with images untill they are all there. I then do "select all" and transfer via drag and drop, the whole bunch in one go to a folder I created beforehand inside the elements folder. Folders like that I always give typical names like automn sunday or sunny day1 etc.
Then I delete the temporary file which means I empty the flashcard in my camera as well. The latter saves me getting the card out of my camera thus less chance of damaging it. May this is what Anne does too.

Robert
BH
Beth_Haney
Oct 29, 2003
Robert, I use a Mac, so my workflow is a little different. I don’t remember what platform Anne is on, so maybe you’ve hit the nail on the head. I use a reader, so I just copy the images from the card into a newly created folder on my hard drive and don’t have any temp folders to contend with. I don’t usually empty the flash card until I’ve verified that all of the pictures have been transferred and open properly, though, because I’m not as daring as you are! 🙂
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Oct 29, 2003
Anne,

When I first started using elements I borrowed a book from our local library. I called in the library today to get the details for you … It is called "Absolute Beginner’s guide to Photoshop Elements 2" and is by Lisa Lee.

I used it for a couple of months and then I was ready to move on to something more complicated but it got me started.

When you get stuck just ask as many questions as you want … we have all been at the same stage you are. Just give yourself a couple of months and you will be answering questions for other people 🙂
TF
Terri_Foster
Nov 4, 2003
Anne, I am very new at this also and understand the frustration. I must have read the manual three times. It helped immensely looking up and going through web tutorials not to mention reading through the forum posts. First off, are you possibly thinking elements has a photo storage area? It doesn’t. It just looks up your picture files and lets you access them via the file browser. Next up, you are still having problems with the palette well? Is your well too full…have you got every palette checked in the pull down menu thus over crowding your palette well…If so that could be why you can’t access the individual palettes (I had that problem when I first installed PSE 2). If this is the problem, uncheck a few palettes you don’t need with each edit to give you some "pull space". Another option (instead of pulling tabs) is to use function keys to display and put away each palette: F5 to display file browser (press same key again to put it away…works this way with all of these function key commands); F6 to display recipes; F7 to display filters; F8 to display effects; F9 to display layer styles; F10 to display history; F11 to display layers; F12 to display hints. I hope this helps ease a little of your frustration.

Terri

Terri
AR
Anne_Rigsby
Nov 4, 2003
From not-so-frustrated: I’m doing better thanks to everyone who offered help. It seems I learn best from a list of steps or just trying things until I hit on something. My frustration level is manageable now and I owe that all to you. You’ve kept me going. Figured out downloading images, am still working on palettes and now am stumped on printing out different images on one page. Or is that an option I made up on my own? Forgive me, my brain’s pretty full. However, did manage to fix up a photo that now looks great. I’m pumped! Thanks again for all the help and support. Keep it coming when you have time. Anne
NS
Nancy_S
Nov 4, 2003
Anne,

Yes, you can print multiple images on a page. You just create a new blank document (8.5 x 11) at a resolution suitable for printing (200-300ppi). Open the images you want to print and make sure these images have the same resolution as your blank one. You just drag or copy and paste the images onto the new document. Using the Move tool respositions them or you can rotate them. Make sure you have the Layers Palette visible on screen.

Post #12 talks about resizing to 5×7 and printing two on a page <http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?7@@.2cce08a0/11>

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections